Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Smelly chicken

2,218 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by combat wombat™
SpiderDude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I bought chicken thighs earlier in the week. I took them out last night to marinate and they have a fairly strong (not good) odor. I checked the use by date (It's tomorrow). They were always kept at appropriate fridge Temps and were still partially frozen when i got home from the store so I know they didn't get warm then.

Safe to eat as long as I cook thoroughly or toss em... what say you food board???
Tanya 93
I would toss them
CharlieBrown17
AG
2 bucks a lb isn't worth food poisoning.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I don't f around with chicken. It's probably fine, but it's not worth it imo.
AggieChemist
AG
So you're saying there's a fowl smell?
Tanya 93
AggieChemist said:

So you're saying there's a fowl smell?
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Unless you have to chose between dying of starvation and food poisoning the chicken goes into the trash.
Austintm
The fact that you are asking this question should provide you the answer
ToddyHill
AG
There is a misconception about bacteria, and what causes foodborne illness and what does not.

Pathogens, as in bacteria that cause foodborne illness (such as Salmonella, Campylobacter, E. coli, etc.), don't emit an odor. You'll never smell their presence.

On the other hand, spoilage bacteria, such as Lactobacillus, do emit an odor. You won't get sick from eating any meat that has high levels of spoilage bacteria.

What you have is spoilage bacteria, though pathogens can't be ruled out.

Personally, I'd ditch it, but just know the stuff that can cause you to get sick will never have an odor.
SpiderDude
AG
Thanks y'all. It's headed to a landfill.
Scotts Tot
AG
I'm confused by this...can you clarify? If spoilage bacteria doesn't make you sick, then what makes someone sick when they eat chicken or other meat that has "gone bad"? Are you really saying that chicken that has spoiled will not make someone sick so long as they cook out the pathogens?
ToddyHill
ToddyHill
AG
https://now.tufts.edu/articles/food-bacteria-smell-taste-bad-illness
Max Power
AG
Raw chicken shouldn't have an odor at all. Toss them.
Rattler12
ToddyHill said:

There is a misconception about bacteria, and what causes foodborne illness and what does not.

Pathogens, as in bacteria that cause foodborne illness (such as Salmonella, Campylobacter, E. coli, etc.), don't emit an odor. You'll never smell their presence.

On the other hand, spoilage bacteria, such as Lactobacillus, do emit an odor. You won't get sick from eating any meat that has high levels of spoilage bacteria.

What you have is spoilage bacteria, though pathogens can't be ruled out.

Personally, I'd ditch it, but just know the stuff that can cause you to get sick will never have an odor.
Also certain strains of Lactobacillus used in dry cured salamis etc actually help prevent the growth of harmful bacteria such as botulism. Added a lactobacillus culture along with pink salt #2 to some salami I made recently. Hung it for 3days at 72 degrees and 86% rh to allow the culture to grow and then dried it at 52 degrees +or- and 75 % RH for right at six weeks. I've eaten half of one log already in the past week and so far so good.
Ornlu
AG
FlyFisher09 said:

I'm confused by this...can you clarify? If spoilage bacteria doesn't make you sick, then what makes someone sick when they eat chicken or other meat that has "gone bad"? Are you really saying that chicken that has spoiled will not make someone sick so long as they cook out the pathogens?
I am not a food science professional, but I am pretty good at reading and understanding concepts. Correct me where I'm wrong here...

There are 2 (okay, 3) ways that food can go "bad".
1. Spoilage by non-infectious bacteria. This doesn't make you sick, but does taste bad. You don't want to eat this, but it won't put you in the hospital. Example: sour milk.
2. Contamination. This is when human-infectious bacteria, like listeria or E Coli O157:H7 get into the meat/produce. If you eat it, you may land in the hospital or morgue. Example: Tainted lettuce or meat.
3. Rancidity. This is caused by UV --> oxidation --> oil breakdown. It's functionally equivalent to spoilage, in that it tastes terrible but isn't really dangerous. Example: Old cooking oil.

Its possible for some bad food to inhabit more than 1 category, and if it's bad shellfish it may be all 3. Sounds like this chicken was just in category 1.
Rattler12
Speaking of soured milk. I went to the local HEBery and along with other stuff picked up a quart of heavy cream. Put it in the fridge and a couple of days later went to the fridge grabbed the heavy cream, opened it up, pulled the tab tried to pour some out and nothing came out. I looked in the opening and it was clogged with a white mass. Dug it out and it smelled OK so I tasted it, Extremely tasty. Shook the carton and no sloshing. Looked into it and it was about 2/3 full. I'm thinking what the hell did HEB sell me here. Looked at the expiration date and it was a year and 2 months back. Looked in the other fridge and there was the recent purchase. The old stuff had soured, solidified and turned into some of the best Creme Fraiche I've ever eaten. Mz R wouldn't touch it
ToddyHill
AG
Thumbs up to you. Excellent information, particularly point number three.
Aggieangler93
AG
All I can say is that I have had food poisoning before from bad chicken that tasted and smelled fine and it succcccccccccked......
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Vernada
AG
sounds like you got a pack of the diet chicken on accident.

Helps you lose 7-10 lbs in 3 days!
combat wombat™
AG
Rattler12 said:

Speaking of soured milk. I went to the local HEBery and along with other stuff picked up a quart of heavy cream. Put it in the fridge and a couple of days later went to the fridge grabbed the heavy cream, opened it up, pulled the tab tried to pour some out and nothing came out. I looked in the opening and it was clogged with a white mass. Dug it out and it smelled OK so I tasted it, Extremely tasty. Shook the carton and no sloshing. Looked into it and it was about 2/3 full. I'm thinking what the hell did HEB sell me here. Looked at the expiration date and it was a year and 2 months back. Looked in the other fridge and there was the recent purchase. The old stuff had soured, solidified and turned into some of the best Creme Fraiche I've ever eaten. Mz R wouldn't touch it
You pulled out a clump of butter. At least that's my guess.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.