Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Store bought bacon wrapped sirloins

1,308 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by JYDog90
Tanya 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Benny put these on his list for the dinner he is making
We have never bought these before

How does he cook them to make sure the bacon is done?

They are 3.99 each at Hyvee this week, so he wanted to try them.
Old Town Ag
AG
Advise: Don't do it.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Put them through a grinder and make hamburger patties.
Max Power
AG
Take the bacon off the steaks, wrap them around asparagus spears, roast them in the oven until the bacon is done. Cook the steak separately to your liking.
Tanya 93
Old Town Ag said:

We promise when he makes a menu, if it is affordable, he gets it/

I just thought someone could take pity on a bacon hater and tell me how to make them so the bacon gets cooked and the other two don't die from undercooked bacon poisoning
John Francis Donaghy
Tanya 93 said:

Old Town Ag said:

We promise when he makes a menu, if it is affordable, he gets it/

I just thought someone could take pity on a bacon hater and tell me how to make them so the bacon gets cooked and the other two don't die from undercooked bacon poisoning

Bacon is cured, so it's hard to get sick from undercooking. Possible, but unlikely. If the steak is cooked to ay least medium range, the bacon is very likely cooked well enough too. If you're concerned, or want to leave steak medium rare or rare, then just use the tongs to set the steak up on it side so the bacon is directly on the heat and rotate it around until you've hit all the edges, like rolling a wheel, before you pull the steak off the pan/grill. This will also give the bacon more crisp if you prefer it crispier than just letting it cook in the ambient heat.
Mathguy64
AG
I would take the bacon off the steak and par cook it then put it back on to cook the steaks. If the bacon is thick cut bacon replace it with thin cut. The bacon should be long enough to go around once and no more.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Take bacon off, fry it, cook steak in bacon grease. Chop bacon and top the steak with it, because why not.
ToddyHill
AG
Years ago, I working in the meat industry...specifically with a portion-cut meat operation. Most of the time, when we cut filets, they were 'naked,' meaning, no bacon. However, we did do some bacon wrapped filets. We were required, under USDA supervision, to freeze the bacon for a period of time to eliminate any chance of trichinae. Once we hit that threshold, we were OK to wrap the filets with the bacon. When you cook the filet to a rare, a medium rare, or even a medium, the bacon doesn't get crispy...it's just kind of there.

Also, at $3.99, your probably not getting a Choice filet. I suspect it's from a cow...but that said, might be pretty decent in and of itself.

I wish Benny good luck.

Sweet Kitten Feet
S
We used to eat these all the time when we first got married. It was a delicacy for us at that time. Cook them like you would any other steak. The bacon will be fine. Don't make it too complicated.
JYDog90
AG
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

We used to eat these all the time when we first got married. It was a delicacy for us at that time. Cook them like you would any other steak. The bacon will be fine. Don't make it too complicated.
The first time I met my (now) wife's grandparents, we went over after church to pick something up and say hello. They were excited they were having filets for lunch. They pulled the $3.95 filets out, put them on the George Foreman, and voila! A delicacy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.