Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

New Orleans Restaurant Recommendations

3,534 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 4133
Turf-Ag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Headed east this weekend and in need of some good recommendations. We like all kinds of food but mainly looking for the Cajun flare.

Thanks in advance.
Gig ‘em and God bless
Bunk Moreland
Coop's Place.

Opens at 11 for lunch I think...get there are 10:45 just in case it's a busy day. Seafood Gumbo is awesome.
streetfighter2012
AG
Highlights for the trip last month include Mahony's Po-Boys, Cafe Amelie, Steins Deli, Peche, and burgers are Port of Call.
Mr. Havok
AG
Acme Oyster House. Last few times I've been there's a line, but it moves quickly and IMO is worth the wait (plus you can still get drinks while waiting).

Bonus: If you're driving, stop in Scott for Billy's Boudin, and/or Baton Rouge for Parrain's.
TxSquarebody
Dragon's at the Hilton...charbroiled oysters!
DiskoTroop
Mother's
WES2006AG
AG
If you want a steakhouse we have had Chophouse New Orleans on our last few trips and loved it.
Fall92
AG
R'evolution.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
Swope McGee
AG
Gabrielle in Treme is the best restaurant I have eaten at in the last two years. The slow roasted duck is fantastic and a cant miss. The gumbo and the she crab soup are also highly recommended. Reservations highly recommended.
JYDog90
AG
Mr. Havok said:

Acme Oyster House. Last few times I've been there's a line, but it moves quickly and IMO is worth the wait (plus you can still get drinks while waiting).

Bonus: If you're driving, stop in Scott at Best Stop for boudin balls and cracklins.
FIFY
DiskoTroop
willie wonka said:

Mr. Havok said:

Bonus: If you're driving, stop in Scott at Best Stop for boudin balls and cracklins.
FIFY

No he had it right. Billy's.
MichaelJ
AG
All of them
austinag1997
AG
Clancy's on Annunciation St if you can get in. You may have better luck there since it is away from the Quarter.
austinag1997
AG
austinag1997
AG
willie wonka said:

Mr. Havok said:

FIFY

The smoked boudin is really good at Best Stop.
austinag1997
AG
Swope McGee said:

Gabrielle in Treme is the best restaurant I have eaten at in the last two years. The slow roasted duck is fantastic and a cant miss. The gumbo and the she crab soup are also highly recommended. Reservations highly recommended.

I'll be honest with you... being from NOLA, I would not advise a tourist/visitor to venture into Treme.
DiskoTroop
austinag1997 said:

willie wonka said:

Mr. Havok said:

FIFY

The smoked boudin is really good at Best Stop.

I do love smoked boudin from most anywhere but Best Stop's boudin is greasier and spicier than I care for. Billy's is my favorite followed by Nunu's.
Cassius
https://originalpierremasperos.com/

Great muffalettas
Swope McGee
AG
austinag1997 said:

Swope McGee said:

I'll be honest with you... being from NOLA, I would not advise a tourist/visitor to venture into Treme.

It's not the same Treme. I mean, I wouldn't walk there from the quarter but the area it is in is fine . It's two blocks from Dooky Chase which is about as safe as you get. If you're a tourist, just Uber there and back.

If you want something uptown, Gris Gris is also really good. But Gabrielle is better.
Potcake
AG
Wife and I walked to Willie Mae's from the FQ. Got some stares but did not get a bad vibe.

Fried shrimp poboy or omelette sandwich from Johnny's and mimosas back at room are my go to breakfast before Saints games.
+1 Acme, always sit at main bar, Curtis and Pam are awesome
Napoleon House is always our first lunch
Bayona is great for dinner
La Petite Grocery for Brunch
Bourbon milk punches at Bourbon House, their firecracker shrimp are awesome too
superunknown
AG
Billys has chicken "cracklins" like Don's now and they are very good.
Garrelli 5000
AG
K-Paul's for dinner is my favorite go-to in the quarter. Lunch is a different menu.

Felix's has great raw oysters, charbroiled oysters, and BBQ shrimp. They've expanded significantly from a small joint across the lines at Acme to having 2 entrances - 1 on bourbon and the original off.

Can't go wrong w/a Poboy from Johnny's or Mahoney's. Mahoney's has a much nicer atmospher, full bar, and plenty of other items on the menu. My go-to is alligator sausage or hot sausage, but you can't go wrong w/roast beef or fried shrimp (or anything really).

Port of Call for an out of this world mushroom cheeseburger cooked medium or medium rare. I recommend sharing it so that you are hungry within the next 8 hours. The monsoon is a killer drink.
CaptnCarl
AG
I am surprised Sofia has not been mentioned. Had a fantastic meal there. Highly recommend sharing the citrus salad.
Rydyn
AG
Pche Seafood Grill

And DON'T MISS THE WW2 MUSEUM!!! That was easily the BEST museum I've ever visited (and I lived in DC for 10 years).
austinag1997
AG
Yep... really good museum. And they keep adding to it.
austinag1997
AG
Swope McGee said:

austinag1997 said:

Swope McGee said:

It's not the same Treme. I mean, I wouldn't walk there from the quarter but the area it is in is fine . It's two blocks from Dooky Chase which is about as safe as you get. If you're a tourist, just Uber there and back.

If you want something uptown, Gris Gris is also really good. But Gabrielle is better.

There are pockets that work. For instance, the block on Bayou Road between N. Miro and N. Rocheblave. The art school used to be a historic B&B. My bride and I took a carriage ride from the Quarter to there. Young and stupid. That was when the murder rate was at an all time high. Yes, that area with Dooky Chase and Willie Mae's is also a good pocket. The surrounding areas are treacherous. Same with Bywater.
Buck Compton
AG
I still love Cochon Butcher when I go. It was fantastic.
SpiderDude
AG
Willie Mae's Scotch House for the best fried chicken EVAAARRR!!!
SpiderDude
AG
Buck Compton said:

I still love Cochon Butcher when I go. It was fantastic.

My brother is a chef with that restaurant group. He used to work there specifically but was promoted. If you like pate try the head cheese. That group owns Herbsaint and Peche also.
aggielax48
AG
Most of these have already been mentioned but our favorites are Port of Call, Johnny's, Peche, and GW Fins. Don't forget Cafe du Monde. Grab a drink at Carousel Bar. There is so many good places, my suggestion would be don't grab a whole meal at any one place. Grab a drink with some appetizers or small plate at a bunch of different places, allows you to get to more spots on a short trip.
G Martin 87
AG
Galliano, corner of Fulton and Julia, near the convention center.
CowboyGirl
AG
Have twice had fabulous meals at Coquette on Magazine in the Garden District. If they have the fried chicken, it's a must have!!
MW03
AG
Clancy's is awesome. I'd add Atchafalaya, too. They make a duck hash that is nuts, but they are famous for their Eggs Louisianne which has deviled crab cakes. Off the beaten path, too.
mgreen
TxSquarebody said:

Dragon's at the Hilton...charbroiled oysters!

You mean Drago's.
Maypop is nice
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.