Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Reverse seared ribeye.

5,706 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BigAg95
AggieChemist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cross posted from OB because food.

chipotle
Mmmmm. That and some A1

FIDO*98*
AG
Ribeye, Ribeye, Ribeye, Ribeye, Ribeye, Mushroom!
AggieChemist
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Ribeye, Ribeye, Ribeye, Ribeye, Ribeye, Mushroom!
Damnit, now I want badger.
dmart90
AG
Tried reverse sear for the first time tonight. Nice 1 lbs NY Strip. Oh so good! Generous amounts of salt and pepper and into the over at 225 until the internal temp was 115. Then pan seared in cast iron on high with some olive oil and a chunk of butter - 45 to 60 seconds per side - about 30 seconds on the edges...

bigtruckguy3500
Did it smoke up badly? I'd normally avoid olive oil for searing due to it's relatively low smoke point.
FIDO*98*
AG
If you are searing properly, you'll be above the smoke point of every oil. I've seared plenty of steaks with olive oil and other oils and it doesn't make a difference. Just lightly brush the steak and use high heat. The majority of the smoke is coming from the steak and fat rendering and not the oil used to brush it.

Save the chunk of butter to melt over it when the steak is resting. There's no benefit to cooking in it
Sorrell Booke
I thought if you are reverse searing, there is no need to rest the meat. Is this not correct?

I did two 1 1/2" thick ribeyes on Christmas reverse sear and they turned out great. However, I placed the oil in the cast iron instead of brushing my steaks. I think I would like the brushing better because you can really control how much oil you put on each one rather than swirling the pan.
Duncan Idaho
Reverse searing doesnt give you enough of that tastey grey.
schwack schwack
AG
Tonight we're doing a version of this. I'm going to throw rib eyes on the smoker until a temp of around 110-115, then plan to throw them on a 500 grill to finish them. That was my plan but reading here, should I just sear them on a cast iron pan instead? My goal is just to char up the outside & fat.
Sazerac
AG
Cast iron has more surface area contacting for better crust formation.
Matsui
AG
Skip reverse sear and just cast iron then. Do it that way.
aggielostinETX
AG
FIDO*98* said:

If you are searing properly, you'll be above the smoke point of every oil. I've seared plenty of steaks with olive oil and other oils and it doesn't make a difference. Just lightly brush the steak and use high heat. The majority of the smoke is coming from the steak and fat rendering and not the oil used to brush it.

Save the chunk of butter to melt over it when the steak is resting. There's no benefit to cooking in it

You're still wrong on this.
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
jel_2002
AG
Hopefully this works.

This is a 2.5 lb prime tomahawk ribeye. I smoked it to 115 degrees and then threw it onto a blazing hot grill until browned. Turned out great. And I ate nearly the whole thing. I even gnawed on the bone like a hungry dog.

**fixed link
FIDO*98*
AG
Deats said:

FIDO*98* said:

Well, there was an entire thread that basically became a mission to prove me wrong complete with pics of their fails. Go ahead and step up to the plate!

jel....that Ribeye look great!!
HTownAg98
Looks great. If you want to try something different next time, use the herbs you marinated the steak in and make a board sauce.

I use whole butter and baste the steaks over ripping hot coals, and flip every 30 seconds, basting on every flip. It goes against everything posted here and causes massive flare ups, but it's really good when done correctly.
SquirrellyDan
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Using clarified butter when searing makes all the difference in the world, but to each his own.
DiskoTroop
FIDO*98* said:

Deats said:

FIDO*98* said:

Well, there was an entire thread that basically became a mission to prove me wrong complete with pics of their fails. Go ahead and step up to the plate!

jel....that Ribeye look great!!

Call it a fail if you want DC. A crusty Maillard is a crusty Maillard is a crusty Maillard. Looks better than those charcoal briquettes of a pork chop you served up.
FIDO*98*
AG
SquirrellyDan said:

Using clarified butter when searing makes all the difference in the world, but to each his own.

No issue whatsoever using clarified butter. I've seared steaks with it just like olive oil, grape seed oil, avocado oil, peanut oil, canola oil, etc. A little fat is just the medium for contact with the pan.
DiskoTroop
FIDO*98* said:

SquirrellyDan said:

No issue whatsoever using clarified butter. I've seared steaks with it just like olive oil, grape seed oil, avocado oil, peanut oil, canola oil, etc. A little fat is just the medium for contact with the pan.

And a conductor. And a conductor that stands higher temps before breaking down (imparting smoke and flavor into the equation) has its place in any real professional/enthusiasts kitchen.
aggielostinETX
AG
SquirrellyDan said:

FIDO*98* said:

Try Avocado oil.
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
FIDO*98*
AG
[url] [/url]
Matsui
AG
That tomahawk looks outstanding!
chilidogfood
AG
Quote:

I feel like the water content of butter is too high and you'd dissolve the delicious crust during the rest period.

I prefer to rest my steaks on a rack or on their sides to avoid contact of crust to juice.

Anyway, resting isn't as critical for reverse seared steaks as it is for the traditional method. The interior of the steak shouldn't be trying to carry over since the searing process is so brief.

My 0.02...
Max Power
AG
So to get a better crust I stopped going sous vide on my steaks. I started doing a dry brine the day before, where you salt the meat the day before and let it air dry in the fridge on a rack. This gets the moisture off the surface of the meat so well the crust turns out awesome. I can't get a crust like this when I sous vide anything because of how moist the meat is after it's done cooking. If you haven't dry brined a steak yet I highly recommend, it's easily the best crust I can get on a steak.
chilidogfood
AG
Do you rinse off your dry brine, or do you cook it as-is?
Max Power
AG
I don't rinse it off, I get thick steaks, they aren't over-salted. Thick steaks can handle the dry-brine and then I just rub them with oil, salt, and pepper and cook in a cast iron pan. Similar to how when you sous vide you season them before they go in the bag and before you sear, they can handle being seasoned twice without being too salty.
FIDO*98*
AG
chilidogfood said:

I feel like the water content of butter is too high and you'd dissolve the delicious crust during the rest period.

Well, we can all breathe easy. I post advice based on experience and not feeling
schmendeler
AG
chilidogfood said:

Do you rinse off your dry brine, or do you cook it as-is?
if done properly, there is nothing to "rinse off". the salt will have been absorbed by the meat.
BigAg95
AG
Tried this last night, worked great! Had a 1.5 inch thick ribeye and put a dry rub on it an hour or so ahead of cooking, then put it in at 225 for about 45 minutes. Let it rest for 5-10 minutes, then seared it in the cast iron with a tiny bit of oil. Had a great crust, was dark pink all the way to the edge, came out perfect! Good option when I don't have time to mess with sous vide.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.