Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Anyone mill their own flour?

5 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by JYDog90
SACR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

A quick Google search shows it isn't that difficult, that you can use a coffee grinder to do it.

Anyone milled their own flour?

Did it make a difference in the taste of your bread or baking to have freshly milled flour?

BigAg95
AG
I have a coffee grinder. Any recommendations on where to find a farm and a combine?
biobioprof
no, but had some food made years ago that was from fresh home-milled and it was amazing.

Was done in some kind of small flour mill, not a coffee grinder. This was a loooong time ago, maybe in grad school when we would sometimes shop at the hippie food co-op.

Obviously not amazing enough to do it myself since then, though!
bmc13
AG
found this

https://www.thegrommet.com/wolfgang-mock-grain-mill-stand-mixer-attachment?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o1&scid=scplp2675-S-101&sc_intid=2675-S-101&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlp-0mM-l4gIVCb7ACh2tHgVnEAQYASABEgLIfPD_BwE
jwoodmd
BigAg95 said:

I have a coffee grinder. Any recommendations on where to find a farm and a combine?
Just go to the local feed store and buy a sack of wheat.
JYDog90
AG
Or go to HEB and buy a lb of flour. It's about 1.49.
SACR
AG
BigAg95 said:

You can find the berries at Whole Foods
SACR
AG
willie wonka said:

Or go to HEB and buy a lb of flour. It's about 1.49.
If you're paying $1.49 for a lb of flour, you're getting ripped off.
JYDog90
AG
What makes me laugh about this is we had some friends that invited us out to their house for dinner. They made pizzas and were talking about how convenient everything was, making everything fresh, how they even milled their own flour. They had to buy 1000lbs of wheatberry and store it in their garage so they couldn't park their cars inside.

Yeah, convenient!
DollahBillzYo!
If you're worried about $1.49 of flour then you need to find new employment.
SACR
AG
willie wonka said:

What makes me laugh about this is we had some friends that invited us out to their house for dinner. They made pizzas and were talking about how convenient everything was, making everything fresh, how they even milled their own flour. They had to buy 1000lbs of wheatberry and store it in their garage so they couldn't park their cars inside.

Yeah, convenient!
WTF buys 1000 lbs of berries?

How was the pizza?
Girlhowdy
AG
I've milled my own whole wheat flour for years. I have a home mill called a whisper mill. The bread is so delicious! Also, the vita mix has a grain mill attachment or canister thing with the milling blades. I don't like it as well, but I've use it sometimes.
Also, you can usually get a bag of wheat berries from a health food type store.
62strat
AG
Don't those kitchen aide mixers have a flour mill attachment? Thought I saw that in the attachment catalog when we bought ours last year.
SACR
AG
62strat said:

Don't those kitchen aide mixers have a flour mill attachment? Thought I saw that in the attachment catalog when we bought ours last year.
They do.

I have a kitchen aid mixer, but trying to see if there is a better option than dropping ~$200 on an attachment.
SACR
AG
**********zYo! said:

If you're worried about $1.49 of flour then you need to find new employment.
A 5 lb bag of store brand AP flour will run you $1.49.

5 lb bag of General Mills AP will run you $1.97.

So if you're paying $1.49 for one lb of flour, you're an idiot.
JYDog90
AG
SACR said:

willie wonka said:

Yeah, convenient!
WTF buys 1000 lbs of berries?

How was the pizza?

Sucked!
Austintm
How do you separate the wheat from the chaff?
JYDog90
AG
Preach the gospel to it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.