Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Gravity fed Smoker

6,065 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by javajaws
Philip J Fry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I love my stick burner, but I just don't have the time for it anymore. I'd like to be able to smoke a brisket without constant temperature management. I'm curious about a gravity feed setup. Any of you use it? Pros and cons?
AginKS
Gravity fed is a neat idea but the issue always comes down to controlling the flow and what if it get jammed. I've not seen one or known anybody who has one that doesn't deal with these issues to the point they babysit their Pits as much or more than stick burners.

That said, I would highly recommend Patterson Pits in Alvarado, TX. Pat knows what he's doing and you can add a actuator which controls air flow which controls temperature. https://www.facebook.com/664119283963293/posts/680758225632732/

Just let him know David sent you... owner of Big Red. He'll know because he built my pit. My pit can run 4 - 6hours without me having to check on her. It's a extremely efficient pit.
Sooner Born
I've found the 22" Weber Smokey Mountain + a digi-Q to be the ultimate setup in automation without sacrificing taste. I can cook for 8+ hours without worrying about anything and the results are very close to what I would get in my offset. The only thing I have to remember to do at the 8 hour mark is add more fuel and water.
ORAggieFan
Sooner Born said:

I've found the 22" Weber Smokey Mountain + a digi-Q to be the ultimate setup in automation without sacrificing taste. I can cook for 8+ hours without worrying about anything and the results are very close to what I would get in my offset. The only thing I have to remember to do at the 8 hour mark is add more fuel and water.

Completely agree (except the add water, I leave the water pan empty). My temps are so perfect with this setup. It's the convenience of a pellet with better results.
Long Live Sully
AG
I got a Fireboard unit for Christmas along with the app controlled fan. Works great. I have been searching for a wood feeder as well and have not found one.

HtownAg92
AG
I had a concept for an automated wood feeder years ago but never acted on it or tried to build it. The design is based off a waterwheel, with wood pre-loaded into each "bucket" that gets dropped into the fire box when the wheel gets rotated by a simple motor. This was before smart / temperature actuated devices, so my design had rotation controlled with a timer.

Of course, there are all kids of logistical issues with the idea, such as how do you attach the thing to an existing firebox without a cutting torch and welding. And then how heavy would it be fully loaded. So it would probably have to be part of a new build.
JRizzle
AG
I have a stumps. It is like an oven. Set it up with a BBQ guru and I can leave it for 18hrs without worry.

The key is that you have to use charcoal briquettes, not lump for heat source. I've not had jamming with the briquettes.

I usually get the kingsford ones that have whatever wood mixed into them and then put some oak or pecan in the firebox and it's great.

I love it.

JR

javajaws
AG
I built my own gravity feed smoker. I can set it and leave it overnight, no problem. I use almost the same fuel if I'm cooking 1 or 20 pork butts...which is to say - not a lot! I can also cook in the cold since everything is insulated.

If using large lump, just break up any unusually long pieces so they don't get stuck. I've never had problems with any. But if you do, most controllers have a temp alarm that will go off if the temp drops too much...just stick something down the chute to unclog it.

Here's a cross section of my smoker to give you an idea of what's going on:

Fire-brick lined furnace inside 1/2" thick steel. The ash try and grill slide in beneath and the fuel chute drops in fuel from the top. Air is blown in via a blower from the hole on the side below the furnace area. Hot air goes out through the side via an exhaust port into the insulated cook chamber:

Long Live Sully
AG
So what keeps the fire from lighting the chunks all the way up the gravity tube?

Very nice!

And, I hate you by the way...
javajaws
AG
Lack of oxygen and air flow keeps the whole thing from burning all at once. The top of the chute is sealed with a door and seal.
Long Live Sully
AG
Interesting. I wouldn't have thought of that angle.

Thanks. Now I don't hate you.

Edit - what did you use to insulate the cooking chamber?
Philip J Fry
AG
Nice. Did you hand build it yourself or did you go somewhere to have it done.
javajaws
AG
Built and designed by myself. I had some design guidance (proportions of firebox/exhaust vent size, etc) from a forum that I'm not sure still exists today or not.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.