Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Schuster Stew

11,401 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Agz_2003
Cen-Tex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have a recipe for this Texas dish?
nonag97
Cen-Tex said:

Anyone have a recipe for this Texas dish?
Found this:
http://svacinaproject.blogspot.com/2011/11/picnic-stew-part-1.html

Jay FrancisDecember 6, 2017 at 9:00 PM
Some guys from Shiner contacted me after I wrote about it on my Fried Chicken Blog. Here is the information they provided me. Also, what we know as picnic stew was once also called Schuster Stew after the family around Moulton who catered many events in the early 1900's.Picnic Stew Recipes from friends in Austin:
My family name is Filip but my mother's maiden name is Riha. I grew up in Shiner and moved to Austin around 1980.
Here is the Picnic stew recipe, scaled down from 100 lbs so some adjustment to your taste might be needed
there are two sets of ingredients. One from my brother (Ken) and one from my nephew (Kevin), but the cooking method is adapted for slow cooker, though you can cook at medium heat on a stove for 3+ hours.
Ingredients - Ken's recipe
3 lb stew meat
2.5 tbsp Crisco
1 Tbsp vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/2 onion diced
1/2 clove garlic diced
2 stalks celery finely chopped
1 tsp chili powder initial (or more to taste when near done)
1 tsp salt
3-4 whole allspice
4-6 bay leaves
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

Ingredients - Kevin's recipe
3 lb stew meat
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp pepper
1/4 tbsp allspice (in cheesecloth bag)
2 stalks celery finely chopped
1/2 onion diced
1/2 cup water
4-6 bay leaves (in cheesecloth bag)
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

Instructions
Brown stew meat in Crisco initially then turn to slow heat and add rest of ingredients above.
Low on slow cooker for 6 hours or cook on stove top, low heat for 2-3 hours until meat is tender.

Cen-Tex
AG
Much obliged. I used to eat this when I was younger and last had it at a wedding in Hallettsville in the late 90's. Almost forgot about this regional treat.
Beckdiesel03
AG
I read this thread having no clue about this stew but asked my stepmom whose family is all from Halletsville if she knew what y'all were talking about. She got so excited and said "yes! We always had this at weddings !" And was super happy I stumbled across this. Thanks for the post and recipe
Buck Compton
AG
Cen-Tex said:

Much obliged. I used to eat this when I was younger and last had it at a wedding in Hallettsville in the late 90's. Almost forgot about this regional treat.
Probably oughta throw some Armadillo in there then, to match what you had in Hallettsville.
aTm_bomb
AG
Probably can get it cheap there... Heard they pay 2.50 down in Halletsville.

Buck Compton said:

Cen-Tex said:

Probably oughta throw some Armadillo in there then, to match what you had in Hallettsville.
JYDog90
AG
I'm gonna try this. Thanks.
Agz_2003
AG
Made Ken's recipe for the picnic stew. Excellent. Tastes just like the stew served at all the weddings in the Lavaca/Fayette County area. Authentic
HTownAg98
What's the difference between this and a regular stew? The allspice and chili powder?
Agz_2003
AG
Yes. The primary difference is the flavor from the allspice.
BarryProfit
People served stew at weddings?
Bruce Almighty
AG
BarryProfit said:

People served stew at weddings?
Apparently they do in this one Texas town.
CrawfordAg
AG
Would it be okay to throw a 3 lb chuck roast on the smoker and smoke to an IT that will allow you to cube it and throw in the stew?
JYDog90
AG
I had forgotten about this. Glad it got bumped.
Agz_2003
AG
Well not served at ALL weddings, but some - usually with German potatoes and green beans w/ bacon. Served at church picnics also.
HTownAg98
CrawfordAg said:

Would it be okay to throw a 3 lb chuck roast on the smoker and smoke to an IT that will allow you to cube it and throw in the stew?

You could, but why? It takes a much shorter amount of time to braise the smaller pieces in a pot in the oven.
Now, if you have some leftovers, and want to use that to make a stew, I would highly support this.
Agz_2003
AG
Bump for those wanting to make something different over the holidays
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.