Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

homemade sweet potatoe fries

1,650 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by schmendeler
gigemJTH12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
anyone have a trick to make them come out crispy from the oven?

would cooking them on a raised cookie cooling rack help?

mine are always kinda mushy. any help appreciated. thanks!
AgEng06
AG

Sorry... first thing I thought of when I read the title.
wessimo
AG

Sorry, first thing I thought of.
Max Power
AG
The best way I was able to get any decent texture out of them is by coating in a little olive oil and dusting them with corn starch before baking, make sure to flip a couple of times.
Tanya 93
How high is your heat?
bigtruckguy3500
Haven't tried it myself, but perhaps salt them for a couple hours, dry them, then bake them. That might pull some moisture out helping them to cook a bit better?
Bruce Almighty
AG
I'm not sure if it will work, but you can try the food lab recipe for oven roasted sweet potatoes, but just cut them into french fry shape.

Cut potatoes, place in pot, cover with water and bring up to 160F. Cover and set aside for 1 hour.

Drain, toss in olive oil, salt and pepper and bake in 400 degree oven for 30 minutes. Flip and bake 20 minutes longer.

This recipe works great for when they're cubed, but with fries, cooking time may be different.
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
Yeah I'm interested in this as well. I made some last week but they basically just turned into sweet potato strips, they were missing the crispiness that comes with fries.
Max Power
AG
Be sure to serve with either a spicy ketchup (I just mix up some with sriracha) or straight up maple syrup, these are the best two condiments for sweet potato fries.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I've done the soak in water method with russet potatoes to help their crisping process in the bake. Not sure what it would do with sweet potatoes but might be worth a try.
Ogre09
AG
Fry them
gigemJTH12
AG
Max Power said:

Be sure to serve with either a spicy ketchup (I just mix up some with sriracha) or straight up maple syrup, these are the best two condiments for sweet potato fries.
mine is mustard...lol.

kind of has a corn dog effect. I always put mustard on sweet potato fries
AgEng06
AG
Honey mustard is my condiment of choice on SP fries, followed closely by yellow mustard.
gigemJTH12
AG
glad to hear I'm not alone!
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
They are never going to be ask crisp as the fried method. Just indulge and enjoy in moderation.
schmendeler
AG
Yeah why not just have good French fries?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.