Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Pecan pie...

3,416 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggiedata
monarch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Somebody give me your best pecan pie recipe; the one "...momma" makes

HTownAg98
Supposedly Stella Parks at at seriouseats.com has some ridiculous recipe that involves tempering eggs into molten caramel that if you can pull off the technique, is other worldly. Sadly, she pulled down the recipe because of all the hate mail she received from it. But if you email her, she will give it to you.

If you go another route, any recipe here that doesn't involve blind baking the crust before you bake the pie is not worth considering.
Bruce Almighty
AG
http://www.darnellfamily.org/Albums/Thanksgiving2007/pecanpie.html

I love this one that Rick Bayless serves at one of his restaurants. Its a chocolate pecan pie with Kahlua.

Also, wtf are people sending hate mail over a pecan pie recipe?
Tanya 93
Bruce Almighty said:

http://www.darnellfamily.org/Albums/Thanksgiving2007/pecanpie.html

I love this one that Rick Bayless serves at one of his restaurants. Its a chocolate pecan pie with Kahlua.

Also, wtf are people sending hate mail over a pecan pie recipe?
That ain't how you make pie! Kolaches! Chili! etc...
biobioprof
HTownAg98 said:

Supposedly Stella Parks at at seriouseats.com has some ridiculous recipe that involves tempering eggs into molten caramel that if you can pull off the technique, is other worldly. Sadly, she pulled down the recipe because of all the hate mail she received from it. But if you email her, she will give it to you.

If you go another route, any recipe here that doesn't involve blind baking the crust before you bake the pie is not worth considering.
was it relared to this tweet?

HTownAg98
Maybe. I know one of the issues is that the technique is pretty complicated.
Tanya 93
Is that an expensive and good bourbon?

I don't drink now and never drank Bourbons.
Duncan Idaho
The double decker cheesecake pecan pie in last month's southern livibg was on point.
https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/double-decker-pecan-cheesecake-pie-recipe

The one on the back of the Karo bottle is good enough and is most likely what your grandmother made.
HTownAg98
It's not that recipe; there's a different one.

And I hate the Karo syrup pecan pie recipe. They always taste fake and too sweet.
BlueSmoke
Google "Derby Pie"
Profit....
Nobody cares. Work Harder
rhoswen
AG
HTownAg98 said:

And I hate the Karo syrup pecan pie recipe. They always taste fake and too sweet.

Replace Karo with maple.
80s Guy
Tanya 93 said:

Not expensive per se and is rather good with one small cube of ice. But for bourbon flavoring if you don't have some around, you can use bourbon whiskey extract or just go to the liquor store and buy a couple of bottles of the airline sized bottles.
cbminers
AG
My favorite is the Cook's Illustrated recipe. It involves using a double boiler to bring the custard up to 130 degrees. This keeps the custard from separating/weeping, and also eliminates all of the graininess of the sugar. The crust is partially blind-baked, pecans toasted.

Also - Pecan pie pro-tip (really works for any pie with blind-baked crust)... Brush the hot empty crust with a whisked egg white before you pour in your filling. The egg white will cook, seal the crust, and your filling will not seep through the holes/cracks in your crust.
Duncan Idaho
I agree that it is pretty sweet and that it is the pecan pie equivalent of "can of mushroom soup" king ranch chicken, but like the comskrc, it is probably what most people think of when they think of a pecan pie like momma made .
Chipotlemonger
AG
I disagree on the need for blind baking the crust
biobioprof
HTownAg98 said:

if they're too sweet its probably not from the Karo syrup but rather from the added cup of white sugar in the classic recipe.

http://www.karosyrup.com/Recipe/Classic_Pecan_Pie

Corn syrup is not the same as high fructose corn syrup. I believe Karo is mostly glucose which is less sweet than sucrose (which is the major sugar in maple syrup).
Chipotlemonger
AG
I tend to agree with this opinion.
Eugene4x
AG
My sister makes the Kari recipe but just splits the filling it into 2 crusts, instead of 1. This simple adjustment resulted in everyone asking her for the recipe and wanting to recreate the goodness of a simple pecan pie with better pecan to filling to crust ratio.
Tanya 93
I make maple Walnut pie. It is loved.

I hate pecans and don't really like Karo much.

Someone on here a few years ago suggested derby pie and I just tweaked that to make what I do now.
biobioprof
Tanya 93 said:

I make maple Walnut pie. It is loved.

I hate pecans and don't really like Karo much.

Someone on here a few years ago suggested derby pie and I just tweaked that to make what I do now.
Shhh don't call it that

http://joepastry.com/2012/pie-that-dare-not-speak-its-name/

Quote:

World Famous Kentucky Horse Race Whose Name Rhymes with "Herbie" Pie dates back to 1950. That was the year it was invented by the owners of the Melrose Inn in Prospect, Kentucky: the Kerns. It was shortly named and, in 1968, trademarked. Ever since then World Famous Kentucky Horse Race Whose Name Rhymes with "Herbie" Pie has been synonymous with two things: the Kentucky Derby and lawsuits. Indeed the company which now goes by the name "Kern's Kitchen" has sued at least 25 times to protect its rights under the law.

Kern's has won against various cookbook publishers and most notably Bon Appetit magazine, which initially won the right to publish the recipe in court, only to have the decision overturned by the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals in 1987. Nowadays people publish the recipe pseudonymously as "Kentucky Pie", "Kentucky Chocolate Walnut Pie", "Run for the Roses Pie", "Not Derby Pie", etc. I think my name wins the title for the longest, but it certainly won't be the last.
FCBlitz
The best pecan pie I ever had came from Friday's Fried Chicken in Shiner, Tx. Very very good pie.
BQ78
AG
Sarah Huckabee Sanders

EOT
aggiedata
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Pretty good one. Moderate expensive
aggiedata
AG
Buttermilk pecan pie. Homemade

* pecans from trees on homestead
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.