Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

A bit of burger pron ...Au Cheval (Chicago)

9,068 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by MichaelJ
p-wonk01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I spent some time in Chicago last week and heard about Au Cheval ( http://auchevalchicago.com/ ). I had to investigate the buzz it was getting from what seemed like every publication and food critic blog across the country for the "Best Burger in the US" (some World). I understand it's subjective (I can make a mean burger in my backyard), however, that much consensus at least warranted a stop!

I can now attest to its prowess, and the burger was certainly well worth the wait. All four of us at the table had a moment after our collective first bites. It's not overly fancy or with crazy toppings...what it is,is a burger with high quality ingredients in perfect ratio. I'd highly recommend a stop if you have the time!

NOTE: What is pictured below is what they refer to in the menu as a single burger, even though it has two patties. I'm not a small man and this still filled me up. The egg and bacon were an add on, but most agree that is the way to have it.

The Pilot
AG
My favorite burger. That place is fantastic.
BSD
AG
Awesome burger indeed.
Tanya 93
I just see Photobucket ransom notes
Matsui
AG
Metoo
Aggie09Derek
AG
Au Cheval is fantastic.

I went to 25 Degrees in River North area this weekend and it was really good as well.
p-wonk01
AG
Tanya 93 said:

I just see Photobucket ransom notes
Fixed....sorry about that.
Quinn
AG
Had this burger earlier this summer and can vouch for its tastiness.
lazuras_dc
AG
What was the wait like ?
Quinn
AG
We waited 1hr 45 min on a Sunday evening, but there are plenty of bars nearby where you can hangout.
Aggie09Derek
AG
We had a 4.5 hour wait but my buddy lives in the high rise next door so just signed up early and were able to go there and a few places in the area.

There is a ridiculous amount of badass food places in like a 4-block area in west loop. Would love if Houston could turn East Downtown into something like that (rehab old warehouses etc like Chicago has done).
BSD
AG
Holy crap. We waited 10 minutes. Of course in was a rainy day in december so only a handful of idiots were out that morning.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Beautiful burger.

I know I'm in the minority, but I have never gotten on the "egg on the burger" train. It looks beautiful, and I thought I would like it, but I just don't in the end care for it.
schmendeler
AG
I tried to go to this place twice. first time they were closed. second time, they weren't serving food.
normaleagle05
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

Beautiful burger.

I know I'm in the minority, but I have never gotten on the "egg on the burger" train. It looks beautiful, and I thought I would like it, but I just don't in the end care for it.

I agree on the fried egg front.....however.

Pack some egg yolks in 3 parts kosher salt : 1 part granular sugar and refrigerate. Allow about 3/4 cup plus per yolk. Walk away and forget them for 4-8 weeks. After they're dried to the point that they're easily handled without sticking to the fingers you can microplane them onto anything, or everything. It'll definitely change a burger for the better.
diehard03
Quote:

The egg white? I'm with you...but there's something magical about a runny yolk on a beef patty.
Mr_mo8268
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

Au Cheval is fantastic.

I went to 25 Degrees in River North area this weekend and it was really good as well.
Au Cheval is always rated the best, however I always liked 25 degrees better. Went to both often while there. Both are best I found in America
bularry
when I looked at that menu, I was drawn to the fried bologna sandwich.
Quinn
AG
bularry said:

I almost ordered that, and probably would have if the burger hadn't received so much hype.
Mr_mo8268
AG
All their sister restaurants are incredible. Maude's Liquor Kitchen is my favorite restaurant in Chicago, incredible classic French cuisine and perfect drinks.
62strat
AG
No fries?

p-wonk01
AG
lazuras_dc said:

What was the wait like ?
We were there at around 11:45am on a Tuesday. They said it would be about 45 minutes, but it only took about 25 or so. You go up to the front and put your name on the list and they will text you and give you 10 minutes to get there. There are plenty of bars and a few breweries (we went to Haystack across the street) to enjoy your time while waiting. You can also download the Nowait app, which will show you where you are in line. I've been told you can possibly reserve your table on there as well, but unsure.
p-wonk01
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

Beautiful burger.

That's just an add-on. I was in your corner forever...I never get runny eggs. When it's done right an egg adds a level of juiciness and richness that adds a ton. Trust me!
p-wonk01
AG
Quinn said:

bularry said:

I almost ordered that, and probably would have if the burger hadn't received so much hype.
It gets very high marks as well, but I had to get the burger the first time
p-wonk01
AG
62strat said:

No fries?

Don't worry, I got the fries....just weren't in those pictures.

Good Waiter....he noticed the Wingstop shirts the guys with me had on, and gave us a plate of their honey fried chicken on the house. They were incredible also!

p-wonk01
AG
What is pictured here is from Thurman's Cafe in Columbus, OH (The Thuminator). Until this recent burger I had not found one to quite match it. This thing will put you down! As thick as the meat is (insert Michael Scott joke here), it's still incredibly juicy and seasoned very well. They are two separate burgers, so hard to truly compare...I'll have to rate Au Cheval and this one as 1a and 1b in no particular order.

I wasn't drinking the colored water pictured there...the Great Lakes Brewery glass was my choice.

Slicer97
AG
$18.95 for chilaquiles? Is that served over steak? Is it enough to feed 4 people? Wtf?
agcrock2005
AG
It's Chicago. I'm surprised it's not $30.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Chicago prices really aren't that much more than Houston for food/rent (comparing actual apples to apples).
Btron
AG
Wait, what? Wingstop shirt?
BurnetAggie99
schmendeler
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

more info, please!
BurnetAggie99
Bill's Burgers Wings & Things in Burnet. Top 50 TM burger. There wings are good too. Also have Storms in Burnet and if you want a 1950's style burger then order up a Storm's Special
schmendeler
AG
looks damn good!
Tanya 93
No runny eggs

Ick
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.