Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

best stock pot for soup, stew, etc...

2,479 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by JTMW
cr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
what size, brand, material of construction, etc... do you recommend?

I have two of those inexpensive Graniteware pots, 12 qt and I think 8 qt, and I want to upgrade. Those things are paper thin.

The 12 qt is too large; I never use it.
BEaggie08
AG
This is what I use...if not using my Instant Pot.

Le Creuset

No Bat Soup For You
AG
What makes it worth $317?

Our $50 Martha Stewart one is 5-6 years old and still going strong. I'm genuinely curious.
Max Power
AG
Hit up a Le Creuset outlet, got a solid deal and I use it all the time. Had an enameled Lodge and it was junk.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
I've also had the $50 Martha Stewart for over 10 years and it's performed perfectly. I can't imagine what advantage paying $300+ for basically the same Dutch oven would provide.
bigtruckguy3500
Whoa. I'll need to read the reviews on that $300 pot. It is impressive to see 89% 5 stars and 5% 4 stars with 300 reviews.
RK
AG
Probably because people who spend a lot of money on something are reluctant to admit they don't like it by giving a negative review.

That said, I have a couple of LC Dutch ovens and they are awesome.
Vernada
AG
I've got this 6.5 qt oval dutch oven by Le Creuset

Le Creuset 6.5qt Oval

I got mine at an outlet. I don't recall how much, but I guarantee no more than half that price on Amazon. Probably less because it wasn't something I spent a long time pondering.

Edit to add: it's a great piece. Good for almost anything without being way too large.

If I was looking for something similar today, I'd take a look at HEB's cocina ware. It looks like good enamel cast iron.
Vernada
AG
RK said:

Probably because people who spend a lot of money on something are reluctant to admit they don't like it by giving a negative review.

That said, I have a couple of LC Dutch ovens and they are awesome.
That's one theory.

It also could be that the only people who could make an 'honest' comparative review will have had to buy both an expensive and a cheap dutch oven.

I'm guessing that cross section doesn't occur very often for a whole lot of reasons.
dummble
AG
12qt heavy Aluminum Stock pot for really large soups and stews(from restaurant supply store)

Enameled cast iron for soups and stews (i have the Martha Stewart from Macys and its been awesome)

Pressure cooker for making stocks (I upgraded my stove top to an instant pot)
Icecream_Ag
S
Home Goods will occasionally carry Le Creuset stuff. Not sure if its knock-off, over run, or what but its generally 1/3 of the cost I've seen from other places.
biobioprof
http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-dutch-oven/

Shorter version: The LC is the best, but may not be worth the price difference. There are details in the design that are interesting, but probably don't get noticed day to day if you only have one pot like this: handles, surface area, lids, etc.
Quote:

No one will tell you that Le Creuset's Dutch oven is bad. Cook's Illustrated likes it, giving it a perfect score. Amazon shoppers like it, and Fine Cooking likes it, calling Le Creuset "reliable and indestructible." But the Le Creuset costs nearly six times as much as the Lodge, and I didn't find that it cooked any better.

For most people, the higher price is probably not worth it. But, if you have to have the absolute best, and you use a Dutch oven several times a week, the Le Creuset's larger handles and additional surface area may be worth the splurge.
We have a LC, but we've had it so long that I have no recollection of whether it was a gift or what we paid for if it wasn't. People do keep them so long that the price difference amortizes over time. Other enameled stuff we have has chipped, even though we don't use our enamelware that often, and that's part of LC's reputation.

So, it may be that it doesn't matter as much if you don't abuse it, but the LC is more forgiving. Their replacement warranty is pretty amazing.
Quote:

The Le Creuset also comes with a lifetime warranty. Even if the fault is yours, the company will generally offer you a replacement for 75 percent off the suggested retail price, as The Sweethome's Christine Cyr Clisset found out when she sent her chipped pot into Le Creuset's warranty department.
cr
So what is the advantage of an enameled dutch oven versus a stainless steel/cast iron stock pot?

And while I appreciate the suggestions, the Le Creuset is out of my price range. Recall that I said I've been using Graniteware.
cr
dummble said:

12qt heavy Aluminum Stock pot for really large soups and stews(from restaurant supply store)

Enameled cast iron for soups and stews (i have the Martha Stewart from Macys and its been awesome)

Pressure cooker for making stocks (I upgraded my stove top to an instant pot)
biobioprof
IIRC, Enameled is considered better for acidic foods, e.g. long-simmering tomato-based stuff or sauces with wine. There are some who think that aluminum is bad for metal ions in food. I haven't reviewed the literature on that.
schmendeler
AG
I like my Lodge enameled dutch oven. there is a very small chip I've managed to put into the coating on the outside bottom but I've had it for 5-6 years now and it doesn't seem close to being an issue yet. when it does, i'll probably buy another one rather than lay out the cash for the le creuset. unless I just end up with a bunch of money that I don't know what else to spend it on.
schmendeler
AG
one neat improvement I see that lodge has added since I bought mine is that the handle/knob on the lid is now metal, instead of plastic. the old one was at risk of melting when put in the oven, so I bought a le creuset knob online and swapped them out. so I get the bragging without the price.
Random Ag
AG
I use my Le Cru for soups or stews where I have to brown something, I seem to get a faster/more even browning on that versus my All Clad stockpot. But if I'm not browning something, I use my All Clad (usually use the exclusive for stocks). DO NOT USE a Le Cru to make applesauce...catastrophic!
FlyFish95
hennyj15 said:

Our $50 Martha Stewart one is 5-6 years old and still going strong. I'm genuinely curious.
Everyone knows more expensive is better.
cr
biobioprof said:

IIRC, Enameled is considered better for acidic foods, e.g. long-simmering tomato-based stuff or sauces with wine. There are some who think that aluminum is bad for metal ions in food. I haven't reviewed the literature on that.
HHAG
AG
Just got a Le Crueset. It really does a good job.
BEaggie08
AG
hennyj15 said:

We certainly didn't pay anywhere near that.
BEaggie08
AG
garc said:

So what is the advantage of an enameled dutch oven versus a stainless steel/cast iron stock pot?

And while I appreciate the suggestions, the Le Creuset is out of my price range. Recall that I said I've been using Graniteware.
Might I suggest this instead:

HEB Cocinaware
aggiebq03+
We got the Tramontia oval one and have been happy with it. Works great for gumbo and soups.
agcrock2005
AG
BEaggie08 said:

Le Creuset

Woot has this for $259 right now until they sell out. Pretty cheap I believe.
schmendeler
AG
agcrock2005 said:

BEaggie08 said:

Le Creuset

looks like a good deal. FYI, that lid knob looks like it's plastic or some other meltable material. probably a good idea to swap for a metal one. IIRC the one i got after the fact was like $7 or so.
Vernada
AG
Le Creuset knob:

Quote:

• A larger composite knob that withstands temperatures up to 500F

BEaggie08
AG
schmendeler said:

agcrock2005 said:

BEaggie08 said:

Le Creuset

looks like a good deal. FYI, that lid knob looks like it's plastic or some other meltable material. probably a good idea to swap for a metal one. IIRC the one i got after the fact was like $7 or so.
As Vernada said, the lid that comes on the modern day Le Creuset is durable phenolic construction and is oven safe. I've used mine in the oven many times with no ill effects.
schmendeler
AG
cool, good to know
'03ag
I see Staub at Home Goods pretty regularly. Think I paid about $150 for this one in 5.5qt. Metal lid handle, and I prefer the dark enamel to the LC beige. I also think it's better looking, but whatever.
agcrock2005
AG
'03ag said:

I see Staub at Home Goods pretty regularly. Think I paid about $150 for this one in 5.5qt. Metal lid handle, and I prefer the dark enamel to the LC beige. I also think it's better looking, but whatever.

Not just one color any more. They've got some pretty cool colors now.
biobioprof
agcrock2005 said:

'03ag said:

Not just one color any more. They've got some pretty cool colors now.
I think 03 was talking about the beige on the interior.
'03ag
Yes. Staub uses black enamel on the interior. The cooking surface isn't perfectly smooth either, which seems to help with sticking. The lid has little droplet shapes on the underside that they say bastes the food during the cook.
FCBlitz
I bought my whole set of cookware from MACY's(?) at the mall in college station in 1985 for $128. Stainless Steel and clad heavy bottom. 4 pots with lids, deep and shallow frying pan plus a paella type pan.

I still use them to this day. That is when I am not cooking with my cast iron.
cr
Thanks for all the recs... appreciate it.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.