Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Modernist Cuisine At Home?

1,464 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by aggiebq03+
aeroag14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any thoughts on the book?

Worth the $100?
Van Buren Boy
AG
Wife got it for me one Christmas. It's cool to read, but requires a lot of tools to do a majority of the recipes. I prefer getting recipes from their site or from chef steps
aggiespartan
AG
We have it. We've cooked a lot of stuff out of it. To get a lot out of it, you probably need a sous vide device and a pressure cooker.
Bruce Almighty
AG
If you don't have a sous vide or pressure cooker, then no. I have both and still rarely use it. If you don't have it, get the Food Lab instead.
bigtruckguy3500
Just got The Food Lab in the mail. Haven't had a chance to really dig in yet though.
Duncan Idaho
What are you people? Pilgrims or pioneers? I mean do you do all of your cooking over an open fire?

Who doesn't have a sous vide or pressure cooker?
Icecream_Ag
S
Duncan Idaho said:

What are you people? Pilgrims or pioneers? I mean do you do all of your cooking over an open fire?

Who doesn't have a sous vide or pressure cooker?
Someone that hasnt knocked off a restaurant supply store
AlaskanAg99
AG
Boiling meat in a plastic bag sounds disgusting. I'm not a big hippy but there's no telling what compounds are leeching out at elevated temps.
HTownAg98
You don't boil any meat in plastic bags. Plus, most bags are safe and aren't going to leach anything.
aggiebq03+
AlaskanAg99 said:

Boiling meat in a plastic bag sounds disgusting. I'm not a big hippy but there's no telling what compounds are leeching out at elevated temps.

You wouldn't need an immersion cooker to boil the meat. The point of an immersion cooker to keep the water at a constant temp below the boiling point.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.