Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Anova sous vide appliance on sale today only

7,436 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Tx-Ag2010
TX AG 88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UKPBXM4/ref=gbps_img_s-3_0842_a6aa6242?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
aggiespartan
AG
This is the one we have and it's great. You can cook perfect fish with it.
TX AG 88
AG
I have it also. Have only used it for steaks (a waste of its capabilities, I know, and something I intend to rectify).

But it's worth it just for the steaks it makes! I had a passel of folks over this weekend and made a dozen NY Strips. Started a batch of Medium steaks at 149* and once they were done, left them in and put in a batch of med-rare at 134*. Finished them on my grill for about a minute a side, except for the old folks who wanted "medium well" all I did was leave them on the grill a little longer. Never got them to M-W, but they were satisfied that they weren't bleeding.

My father in law asked what kind of steaks they were and when I told him NY Strip, he said "they had texture of Filet Mignon!" and the nice thing is, I knew what he was going to say, as soon as he asked the question. They DID have the texture of Filets! Even my med rare steak, which had cooked for a lot less time! They were HEB steaks (Choice) which I got for $6.97/lb, and they were awesome! Seriously, cooking this way is fool-proof and makes steaks seem like a much better grade or cut.

I intend to do some skirt steak (overnight) this weekend to expand my repertoire. Then move on to other proteins (fish, poultry, and eggs) and vegetables.

Highly recommend.
beb06
AG
I'm addicted to sous vide currently.

Filets and NY strips at 131 for a couple hours and then seared in cast iron have turned out amazing for me.

And it works extremely well for pork. We've done thick pork chops several times.

Also done burgers and chicken wings.
redd38
AG
I pulled the trigger on this thing, it better not suck
GIF Reactor
AG
Now only $0.29 off regular price...dang it. Did you get an alert from Amazon or was it on a list you had?
superunknown
AG
Had it in my cart. Was checking out...delivery won't be till next week when I'll be out of town and I don't trust my neighbors to catch a package for me while I'm gone.

So disappointing.
Eliminatus
AG
It was the deal of the day.

I shop enough on Amazon that I check the DOTD every day
evan_aggie
AG
quote:
I'm addicted to sous vide currently.

Filets and NY strips at 131 for a couple hours and then seared in cast iron have turned out amazing for me.

And it works extremely well for pork. We've done thick pork chops several times.

Also done burgers and chicken wings.

What's the difference between doing one tightly wrapped in foil at 175 for hours vs in water? Obvioulsy water transfers the heat better.
schmendeler
AG
175 pork chop? Sounds like a desert.
aggiesherpa
AG
I'm not a big salmon fan, but followed this recipe and loved it.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/sous-vide-salmon--2
Inspector Spacetime
AG
What was the one-day price for those of us just seeing this thread?
redd38
AG
$139
mts6175
AG
Got mine today. Thanks for the heads up.
bigtruckguy3500
quote:
Now only $0.29 off regular price...dang it. Did you get an alert from Amazon or was it on a list you had?
I've got one I've used for about 6-8 hours or so, I think 4-5 times, that I'll sell to you for $130. I'm in Temple, but I'll be driving through College Station and Houston in a couple weeks.
HtownAg92
AG
Pulled the trigger on the deal and it was delivered Saturday. Obviously steak would be the best thing to christen it, but I have a trimmed brisket flat in the freezer that I bought on sale (to mix into hamburger grind). Thinking instead of doing a couple day soak with my new gadget. Hoping to break it down to very tender, sear in oven, and then slice like a London broil with a wine / mushroom gravy.

Anyone done brisket? I'm thinking it would really show off what a sous vide does if it can break down a tough cut like that.
redd38
AG
How did you people gets yours already? Mine was just shipped today!
Duncan Idaho
quote:
Pulled the trigger on the deal and it was delivered Saturday. Obviously steak would be the best thing to christen it, but I have a trimmed brisket flat in the freezer that I bought on sale (to mix into hamburger grind). Thinking instead of doing a couple day soak with my new gadget. Hoping to break it down to very tender, sear in oven, and then slice like a London broil with a wine / mushroom gravy.

Anyone done brisket? I'm thinking it would really show off what a sous vide does if it can break down a tough cut like that.

Stephen Pyle does a sous video brisket that I have done and it is pretty good. It isn't BBQ but it is damn good eatin'
beb06
AG
Never tried this, but here is a website of using sous vide to simulate a smoked brisket: https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/smokerless-smoked-brisket
TX AG 88
AG
had 24hr skirt steak last night (sous vide temp was 135*). Briefly seared/smoked on a egg-type smoker for color and sear marks PRIOR to water bath.

I was disappointed in the results. The steak was TOO tender, almost roast-like when I cut it. I don't think I'd do skirt steak more than 12 hours in the future, maybe 6.
Bulldog73
AG
Since the deal's dead, maybe I can ask here. If I wanted to venture into the sous vide world, what would I need to have? Would I also need a vacuum sealer? Aside from steak and pork chops, what are some things I could prepare in it?

Basically, I'm trying to figure out if I would get enough use out of it to be worthwhile.
NitroAGGIE
AG
Vac Sealer isn't 100% necessary. I use the water displacement method where I lower a freezer ziploc bag slowly into the water to push out the air. It's not vacuum, but you're just trying to avoid air pockets between the food and water. I've used it for 40 hr brisket, so no worries about the heat.
NitroAGGIE
AG
As for other stuff you just need a vessel to hold the water bath. I use a small cooler, other people use a clear polycarbonate container called a Cambro. You can also use a large stockpot.

I've made 12 hr BBQ pork ribs and BBQ brisket. You get the most out of it by long cooks where you need time to break down meats high in collagen to make them tender like a steak or prime rib. Think beef shoulder roast cooked like a ribeye. Or pork shoulder for pulled pork. I also use it to perfectly nail medium rare salmon from edge to edge.

Heck out Serious Eats or Chefsteps for unique ways to use sous vide. My BBQ brisket I did from Chefsteps was amazing and I know good BBQ.
ORAggieFan
It is by far my preferred method for seafood. Did sea bass Sunday that was perfect. Have done scallops as well.

I do hot wings that are super easy and delicious.

Great in the morning for a perfect soft egg.
beb06
AG
Did a flank steak yesterday. Marinated for 12 hours, then cooked at 132 for 10 hours before pan searing. Turned out great. Very tender, almost brisket-like texture. I definitely think cooking very much longer would have been too much.
tlepoC
AG
For tailgates I have done a brisket in the Steven Pyle manner. Compliments were unreal. By far the best brisket I've had and was told it completes with Franklin's.

Simple rub
Cold smoke for 24 hours
Sous vide for 72
Open and devour

Sad thing is I've never had leftovers for brisket tacos.
redd38
AG
Just made my first steak. Amazing!
hph6203
AG
To anyone concerned about missing out on the deal, Anova has put their cooker on sale for damn near every holiday at $50 off. Just wait for Easter or almost certainly mothers/Father's Day.
HtownAg92
AG
I'll upload some pics later, but I did the brisket flat yesterday/today. It is fantastic.

I injected it with a garlic butter and beef broth mixture, but no seasoning on the outside. Cooked at 170 for 12 hours, then dropped it to 160 for another 12. Brushed on a honey and balsamic "glue" then coated with a standard brisket rub. Oven seared for 20 minutes on a rack at 450. Wrapped in foil and a towel and let it sit for 45 minutes.

Came out spoon tender with a fantastic flavor.

I was a bit surprised at the amount of evaporation that occurred. May need a bigger vessel to hold more water. Had to refill with hot water a couple of times.

Great device. I'm hooked.
redd38
AG
Does your container have a lid? That would help with evaporation
sanitariex
AG
So what's the process that everyone's doing for multiple steaks at different temp levels?
chipotle
quote:
So what's the process that everyone's doing for multiple steaks at different temp levels?

sanitariex
AG
Totally agree, but I work with some weird ducks.
752bro4
AG
It just takes planning and prep.

Let's say I am doing 4 steaks, 2 at medium, 2 at medium rare:

Vacuum seal and season the two medium steaks (I usually even use a sharpie and label the plastic). Drop in sous vide at 140 for an hour.

Prepare other two steaks however, vacuum seal them, mark them, and drop in with the other two steaks and a couple handfuls of ice. Reset the temp to 130.

All 4 steaks can sit at 126 for 2+ hours without any damage to them. Typically only takes an hour to get them cook all the way through.

Remove all 4 and let them rest for 10 minutes (tented in foil), cast iron from the oven or on an open flame as hot as you can get it, sear, and then serve straight from the skillet to the plate...no more resting.

You'll have two come out at medium rare, two come out at medium.
sanitariex
AG
Gotcha. Thanks!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.