Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

i need the worlds best spaghetti sauce recipe..

16,014 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SACR
studioone
How long do you want to ignore this user?

i cant stand spaghetti... so I'm trying to be open minded. Wife cooks it and the pasta is the mass produced kind sold everywhere and the sauce is prego out of a can...

its dry dry dry.. u pick up a fork full the rest of the batch comes with it...it has no flavor...

wife loves it.. i hate it.. save our marriage... lol..

Max06
AG
This sounds like a pasta cooking issue more than anything.

Try cooking pasta, draining, immediately returning to the pan and tossing with olive oil or butter. That will help prevent the noodles from sticking together. Also helps to boil the pasta in way more water than you think you need- it helps dilute the starch that is released while cooking (what makes the noodles stick together).

This is a good sauce, but I doubt it's the "world's best".

If you like a meat sauce, sauteing bulk Italian sausage (or links cut into rounds) instead of ground beef can add a lot more flavor if that is what you're going for.

Personally, I prefer rotini to spaghetti noodles- they hold more sauce and are easier for serve/plate.
Tailgate88
AG
For sauce, here is a quick and dirty way to improve your sauce. Dice a half or whole onion and saute in a little olive oil. Add mushrooms if you like them. Season with a little salt and pepper. Add a pound of extra lean ground beef if you want meat and brown. Add a few cloves of minced garlic and let it go just a minute or two more. (don't burn the garlic!). Then add a jar of the sauce and let it simmer for 15-30 min on low to let the flavors marry. We get the HEB sauce with Italian herbs/spices in it. Portions and seasonings are to your preference and taste.

I have a recipe for red sauce that cooks all day but this is a quick sauce for a weeknight that is pretty darn good.
HTownAg98
Tossing the pasta with oil or butter causes the pasta to shed the sauce, and you end up with a pool of watery sauce in the bottom of the bowl.
For a very basic pasta with marinara sauce, start with sauteing an onion in some oil. When that is done, add a minced clove of garlic. After that, add a can of San Marzano tomatoes that you have crushed by hand. Simmer the sauce until the tomatoes are cooked and the sauce has reduced a little. This will take roughly 30 to 45 minutes. Adjust seasoning, and stir in about three basil leaves cut into ribbons.
Cook the pasta until it is about 75% done. In other words, if your brand of pasta calls for cooking it for 10 minutes in boiling water, cook it about 7 minutes. Save about a cup of the pasta water, and drain the pasta.
Into a saute pan heated over medium heat, add a ladle of your sauce, then add the pasta. Add enough sauce to coat the pasta, and cook the sauce and pasta until the pasta is done. Stir frequently. If the sauce it too thick, thin it with some of the pasta water. Serve in heated bowls, and top with some fresh Parmesan and torn basil.
DiskoTroop
Good pasta and sauce is not hard.

I'll share with you my method. I do somethings that some people here will say don't have an effect on the final product and that they will say doesn't make good pasta. I'm just going to say that I make my pasta the way my 100% Tuscan grandmother used to make it in her final years when she didn't want to make sauce from scratch anymore.

Pasta:

A: Buy fresh pasta. Look for this:

B: Cook it according to the package. I put salt, pepper and a tablespoon of olive oil in the water. You may not. I don't care. No you do not have to "finish it in the sauce" to make it taste good.

Just don't OVER cook it.

Sauce:

My grandmother used Prego in the jars. It's a good base. It needs to be doctored up some though.

As HTownAg98 said, start with some butter and diced onion. As Tailgate88 said, add mushrooms if you like. Saute. When translucent, add meat. Cook your meat 95% of the way through. Might still be small bits of red or pink still showing, that's ok. It'll finish cooking.

I do this in a pot but you can also do it in a deep saute pan.

Pour in your sauce. Save the jars! See below... One jar is enough for me and my fiance, but if you have a family, you may want two. Just gonna leave that up to you.

Ok, things to add to the sauce at this point:

1.) Large spoon full of jarred pesto sauce. I buy Kirkland brand from Costco. Jarred Pesto sauce is the best kept secret of short cutting Italian cooking. It's basil, garlic, olive oil and pine nuts (traditionally). Smear it on toast, you got garlic bread. Thin with more olive oil and drizzle over tomatoes and mozzarella with some balsamic vinegar, you got caprese. It's just a great multitasker to keep in the kitchen.

2.) Small can Rotel Chile's and Tomatoes. I like the spice from the chiles and most of the jarred sauces don't have enough tomato chunks for me so I add this. Grandma did too.

3.) 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon. Some people add several teaspoons of sugar to offset the acidity of the tomatoes, I prefer the tiniest bit of cinnamon. I find it really develops and plays well with the flavors and cuts the acidity nicely. Trust me on this.

4.) Take the jars that the sauce came in and put about two inches of water in each. Close the lid, shake. Get all the remaining sauce in liquid form and pour that into the sauce. A, this stops from being wasteful, but B, this gets water into the sauce. That's important.

Ok your sauce is ready to cook. Put the burner on a setting where you'll just get the pot simmering. Simmer and simmer and simmer and simmer. An hour. Two hours. Maybe even three. You're gonna cook out the water you added, so your volume will decrease a little and in the process A, you'll finish cooking your meat, B, you'll heat and cook all the other ingredients properly (if you're adding raw veggies at this stage like bell pepper, the tomatoes in the Rotel, etc,) and C, it will cook reduce the sauce slightly and darken the color a bit.

Serve over your pasta when the sauce is at a consistency you like.

But here's another suggestion... Take cooked fresh pasta and put it in a bowl or plate. Grate fresh cheese over it before putting sauce on it. I like Asiago, some folks like Romano or Parm... Whatever. Doesn't matter. Grate on pasta before saucing. Toss. Then sauce and cheese it again. The cheese sticks to the starches on the outside of the pasta and keeps the pasta from sticking to itself. Then the sauce sticks to the cheese.

Again, I'm sure some folks won't like what I'm suggesting, but it freaking works for me.
BurnetAggie99
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sunday-gravy-with-beef-or-pork-braciola-and-anna-and-frankies-meatballs-recipe.html

What your after is what known as homemade Red Gravy or Homemade Sunday sauce. I have a written recipe at home but this one is pretty close to it. Also homade pasta is easy to make or you can buy it at whole foods, central market or HEB. If your lucky your town might have a Italian market.
BurnetAggie99
http://www.food.com/recipe/sopranos-sunday-gravy-spaghetti-sauce-64750?photo=354033

Another good Red Gravy recipe
Walter Kovacs
AG
there are better and there are easier but this one is a nice balance

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/09/the-best-slow-cooked-italian-american-tomato-sauce-red-sauce-recipe.html
BurnetAggie99
That's looks like a awesome marinara sauce but not the same as a Sunday Sauce/Red Gravy sauce. The red gravy having the various meats, sausages, homemade meatballs and all the other ingredients simmering in the sauce is the difference imo. It does require some prep and cooking time but well worth it and leftover sauce freezes well.
Walter Kovacs
AG
i do enjoy sunday gravy but if his wife is used to prego jars then jumping into the sunday sauce ingredient list may be a bit more than expected or desired. that and a lot of people call any sort of red sauce a "spaghetti sauce". they don't know arrabbiata from carbonara.
BurnetAggie99
Yea I'd agree with you and would be a nice entry level recipe to start with. When it comes to Italian cooking to really do it right it takes a little time and effort but your reward though in the end.
Tailgate88
AG
Agree with Phideaux on the fresh pasta. It is terrific. I have put cinnamon in my chili for years, will try it with red sauce next time.
chipotle
quote:
i cant stand spaghetti..

If you don't like it a little then I can't see how the best spaghetti in the world is going to change your mind.
Bruce Almighty
AG
My wife hates any kind of cooked tomato based sauce. I made the food network recipe that was posted above and she thought it was "edible".
eric76
AG
quote:

i cant stand spaghetti... so I'm trying to be open minded. Wife cooks it and the pasta is the mass produced kind sold everywhere and the sauce is prego out of a can...

its dry dry dry.. u pick up a fork full the rest of the batch comes with it...it has no flavor...

wife loves it.. i hate it.. save our marriage... lol..

When cooking spaghetti or other pasta, one cardinal rule is to make sure you have plenty of water. And bring it up to a full, rolling boil before adding the pasta.

I like to have enough water that when I add the pasta/spaghetti, the water never stops boiling.

Then, keep it boiling just below the point where it starts to froth up. With a little practice, you learn the temperature setting on your stove and then you can just set it to that and leave it.

If you live near sea level, cook it for the minimum time on the package. The higher your altitude, the longer it will take to cook since the boiling point of water drops roughly one degree Fahrenheit for every 500 feet of elevation. If you live on Pike's Peak, don't even bother trying to cook dry pasta.
HTownAg98
Not quite true. A lot of food scientists are saying you can start dried pasta in cold water. In fact, when I cook macaroni, I just cover it with water and Turn on the heat.
The exception to this is pasta like linguini and spaghetti, since they have a lot of surface area that can stick together. But for things like macaroni, rigatoni, and bow tie, start them in cold water.
eric76
AG
quote:
Not quite true. A lot of food scientists are saying you can start dried pasta in cold water. In fact, when I cook macaroni, I just cover it with water and Turn on the heat.
The exception to this is pasta like linguini and spaghetti, since they have a lot of surface area that can stick together. But for things like macaroni, rigatoni, and bow tie, start them in cold water.
They just need to be hydrated and not cooked?
bonfirewillburn
AG
Ddp
bonfirewillburn
AG
Here we go again....

That butonni (sp?) Stuff is not fresh pasta... It's glue with no texture, buy dried or learn to make it yourself. It's not (that) hard....but impossible to perfect.

First and foremost it's about the PASTA not the sauce, don't like tomato sauce GREAT. With real spaghetti (or any other pasta) the sauce is a garnish.

Buy the more expensive pasta, it IS better....

Don't cook it all the way in the water. Cold, hot, who gives a crap, just don't over cook. FWI we always start with hot water. Also I use a saute pan for ravioli or angolotti with just enough water to cover. Less convection less chance of the pasta breaking.

And for the love of Pete, God, every Itlian chef, you F-ing finish your pasta in the sauce. Period. EOT. Drops Mic. Anything else that makes sense..... There is a special ring of hell reserved for you if you do not!!!
bonfirewillburn
AG
......must not respond to fake fido......
_______________________________________________________ Bacon: The duct tape of the kitchen.
HTownAg98
quote:
quote:

No, it has to be cooked. It will cook as the water heats.
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2009/02/25/dining/25curi.html?referrer=&_r=0
http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/05/ask-the-food-lab-can-i-start-pasta-in-cold-water.html
eric76
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

No, it has to be cooked. It will cook as the water heats.
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2009/02/25/dining/25curi.html?referrer=&_r=0
http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/05/ask-the-food-lab-can-i-start-pasta-in-cold-water.html
The reason I have problems even thinking about that is because the boiling point of water where I am is about 206 F because of altitude. When I lived in Houston and in College Station, I would cook pasta the minimum time listed on the package and it would come out just about right. With the lower boiling point here, if I cook it the minimum time listed on the package, the pasta ends up chalky and makes me not want to eat pasta at all.

For example, Skinner macaroni shows 6 to 8 minutes. In Houston and College Station I would cook it 6 minutes and it was always about right. Here, it takes about 8 to 9 minute to reach nearly the same result as 6 minutes at sea level.

It intuitively seems to me that cooking it less time is going to have problems.
Duncan Idaho
Does the ops wife even know how to cook? The post makes it seems like either

She can't cook at all and thinks that opening cans over a stove is cooking

Or

She only likea the stuff because her mom made it that way and it is comfortable and she hasn't had better

FIDO*98*
AG
OP you want the easiest recipe possible that will be 10x better than anything out of a jar?

Saute 2 finely minced garlic cloves in 1/4c of olive oil on low heat. Once the garlic is tender add a can on Cento crushed tomatoes. Add salt to taste and a pinch of sugar. Last cut or tear 4-5 fresh basil leaves and add to the sauce. Simmer 20 minutes to as long as you want adding a little water from time to time as necessary.

This thread is also a good time to remind everyone that there are terrible cooks everywhere. Being born somewhere doesn't make anyone an expert on local cuisine. My mother in law lives on a farm and is the worst cook I personally know.

Nice to see you back bonfire
B-1 83
AG
quote:
For sauce, here is a quick and dirty way to improve your sauce. Dice a half or whole onion and saute in a little olive oil. Add mushrooms if you like them. Season with a little salt and pepper. Add a pound of extra lean ground beef if you want meat and brown. Add a few cloves of minced garlic and let it go just a minute or two more. (don't burn the garlic!). Then add a jar of the sauce and let it simmer for 15-30 min on low to let the flavors marry. We get the HEB sauce with Italian herbs/spices in it. Portions and seasonings are to your preference and taste.

I have a recipe for red sauce that cooks all day but this is a quick sauce for a weeknight that is pretty darn good.
I do something similar to this, but love green and red bell peppers with mushrooms and Italian sausage. I also have fresh basil and oregano to add.
DiskoTroop
quote:
Fine I'll respond to you.

Was waiting for that. BFWB is who I was talking about. He thinks if you disagree with him you're wrong and stupid... I've never had his food, and yes from what I recall, he's a (pizza) chef.

Great.

I'm not. I'm not dirtying another pan, nor am I cooking and plating 5 plates separately because I have to finish each plate in the sauce in a pan. I got things to do in the real world.

If you're a professional chef, with people to wash your dishes and you're being paid for your time in the kitchen, fine. Do it like he says. I cook at home for me and the family. I prefer spending dinner time with my family, not standing over a pan because I have to finish each plate in a pan with the damn sauce.

Also, I've tried it, it simply doesn't make any difference to me. I can't taste any difference at all.
DiskoTroop
quote:
Here we go again....

That butonni (sp?) Stuff is not fresh pasta... It's glue with no texture, buy dried or learn to make it yourself. It's not (that) hard....but impossible to perfect.

First and foremost it's about the PASTA not the sauce, don't like tomato sauce GREAT. With real spaghetti (or any other pasta) the sauce is a garnish.

Buy the more expensive pasta, it IS better....

Don't cook it all the way in the water. Cold, hot, who gives a crap, just don't over cook. FWI we always start with hot water. Also I use a saute pan for ravioli or angolotti with just enough water to cover. Less convection less chance of the pasta breaking.

And for the love of Pete, God, every Itlian chef, you F-ing finish your pasta in the sauce. Period. EOT. Drops Mic. Anything else that makes sense..... There is a special ring of hell reserved for you if you do not!!!

Fair enough on the Butoni. Yes home made is better. See post above RE time. I do agree with you that good pasta makes all the difference in the world though.

And no, not every italian chef finishes the pasta in the sauce. Unperiod. ContinueT. Pick up mic. See you in hell.
K2T2
For the pasta, don't put the drained pasta back over the burner you just boiled it over and turned off. That will dry it the hell out, and make it stick to each other and the pot. Also, stir occasionally as it boils to keep it from sticking.

For the sauce, if you make a homemade one and find your wife doesn't like it because it's not enough like jarred, add a small can of tomato paste and even a tablespoon of sugar if the paste isn't enough. It gives it that sweet, concentrated, tomatoey flavor jarred sauces (especially Prego) are known for.

Edit 1: Grammar

Edit 2: If the pasta has no flavor, tell her to freaking salt it! Salt it like the ocean, damnit! This isn't the Olive Garden!

Also, I like a hefty crack of fresh pepper on top of anything tomato.
BurnetAggie99
AMORE Tomato Paste is a must when making gravy.
eric76
AG
quote:
quote:
Fine I'll respond to you.

Was waiting for that. BFWB is who I was talking about. He thinks if you disagree with him you're wrong and stupid... I've never had his food, and yes from what I recall, he's a (pizza) chef.

Great.

I'm not. I'm not dirtying another pan, nor am I cooking and plating 5 plates separately because I have to finish each plate in the sauce in a pan. I got things to do in the real world.

If you're a professional chef, with people to wash your dishes and you're being paid for your time in the kitchen, fine. Do it like he says. I cook at home for me and the family. I prefer spending dinner time with my family, not standing over a pan because I have to finish each plate in a pan with the damn sauce.

Also, I've tried it, it simply doesn't make any difference to me. I can't taste any difference at all.

I'm having trouble parsing this. Do you cook each plate of pasta separately?
Duncan Idaho
He is saying the bonfires techniques require it and
He ain't go no time for that.

DiskoTroop
Ain't nobody got time fo dat
Duncan Idaho
Oh lawd there's a far
DiskoTroop
The technique of which he speaks is taking a serving of pasta and placing it in a large saut pan or frying pan, putting sauce in with it and cooking it in the pan with the sauce, then plating.

I have 5 mouths in my house hold... I don't have a saut pan or frying pan large enough to do all 5 at once properly, they way he suggests. So yes essentially I'd need to do one at a time.

So for my family to eat together I either need 3 more hands and 3 more frying pans and 2 more burners...

Or...

Just cook pasta and sauce it in the bowl.
BurnetAggie99
I usually keep a extra sauce pan on the stove and go ahead a laddle some sauce in the pan and have it on low heat.

The trick is to move the pasta right out of the hot water into the extra pot with the sauce, instead of draining away all of the water and letting the pasta sit around while you work on the sauce. Add the hot, starchy pasta right to the sauce and cook it for about a minute so everything's hot and well combined.

Then the magic touch: a little pasta water to make that sauce stick to the pasta nicely. After that, turn off the heat and add your your cheese, grab some meatballs, sausages from the big sauce pot, dress with fresh herbs if you like to. Then I usually have a big pasta plate to dish it up that can be served family style
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.