Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Where do you find beef plate ribs?

25,396 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by BurnetAggie99
Philip J Fry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aaron Franklin has me wanting to smoke some brontosaurus ribs. I went to whole foods this evening since none of the grocery stores around me carry them. I got nothing but a glazed over look when I asked for them. Then a little bit of drool from the mouth breather when I clarified that I was looking for namp 123a ribs.
TwoTimeAg
AG
BBQ with Franklin series on PBS showed Aaron talking to the butcher and buyer them at Central Market.
HTownAg98
HEB has them, but you have to ask for them. They have them in the back, because they use them to make the thin cross cut ribs.
BSD
AG
I find mine at a local butcher.
edwardsk2003
AG
quote:
HEB has them, but you have to ask for them. They have them in the back, because they use them to make the thin cross cut ribs.

Gotten twice at HEB. Came out great.

Also if youre following franklins, be sure and be on the long end of the timer.... beef ribs need more time...to get tender.
edwardsk2003
AG
Following franklins:
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
I find mine at a local butcher.

Probably doesn't help that I'm in SoCal. Do they have any other names besides plate short ribs? I was really taken back when the guy behind the counter at whole foods hadn't heard of them.
ORAggieFan
Good article on the different cuts of beef ribs with the specific cut you're looking for. http://www.tmbbq.com/you-may-love-beef-short-ribs-but-pitmasters-dont/
Teslag
AG
If you're in California try one of the larger Asian grocers. Koreans like to bbq cross cut short ribs and they have them. Ask the butcher for a whole uncut short rib in cryovac. They usually come in two sections per pack from swift or national with 4 bones in each.
Philip J Fry
AG
That did it. Went BACK to a local butcher that told me they didn't sell plate ribs...reworded it to "uncut short ribs" and viola! Got me some beef short ribs to smoke tomorrow.
ORAggieFan
Where in SoCal are you?
Philip J Fry
AG
A little slice of heaven called Lancaster.
TXAG 05
AG
Does Whole Foods even have meat?
BurnetAggie99
I prefer to smoke beef short ribs but Beef Chuck Ribs will work as well.
turfman80
AG
For anyone reading in BCS, Readfields has them....big, honkin' slabs just like Franklin uses. About $4.29 a pound or so.
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:

You serious?
BSD
AG
I asked whole foods if they had brisket once and they said it was too fatty for them to carry. I left.
BurnetAggie99
The whole foods in Austin carries Prime Brisket on top of many other well marbled cuts. I was just there last week. So who knows, I normally don't go there but I needed some steaks and seafood so they were right down the street. Normally I use my local butcher in the Hill Country or order through Snake River Farms for my Briskets.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I've gotten brisket at Whole Foods.
TXAG 05
AG
quote:
quote:

You serious?

Honestly, I've never been in one. Just thought it was one of those hippie tofu type stores.
Philip J Fry
AG
Why would I go to a hippie tofu store for meat? I'm fairly sure HF actually had my plate ribs, but I ran into a typical Californian who has no idea what anything other than tri tip is.
BSD
AG
This was about 3 years ago when I went. They must have seen the demand and let their true motives (profit) speak. I see nothing wrong with that.
Farmer1906
AG
That's funny. I've been craving them too and picked some up from Whole Foods today. They had some in the back.
Potcake
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

You serious?

Honestly, I've never been in one. Just thought it was one of those hippie tofu type stores.

Maybe you shouldn't believe everything, or anything, you read on Politics, simpleton.
TXAG 05
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You serious?

Maybe you shouldn't believe everything, or anything, you read on Politics, simpleton.

Come on, I know better than to go to that board. I've never been to a Whole Foods because I haven't close enough for one to be convenient, not because I though it was some weird place. If they have good meat I'll have to check it out.
Philip J Fry
AG
They were everything I was hoping for and more.
B-1 83
AG
quote:
For anyone reading in BCS, Readfields has them....big, honkin' slabs just like Franklin uses. About $4.29 a pound or so.
Ouch! That's a bunch of money for bones.
biobioprof
quote:
quote:
Rosenthal also has them as beef chuck ribs (I think that's the same thing). They're a bit cheaper ($3.49/lb right now) but frozen.

They're really rich, which for me makes up for the bone content in terms of portion size.
Teslag
AG
quote:
quote:

BBQ joints sell them as a novelty and barely cover the cost of selling them.
ORAggieFan
Whole Foods has had meat for as long as I can remember. Often times they have some of the nicer selections, better than typical grocery chains. But, you pay a huge premium.
BurnetAggie99
Places like Louie Mueller sell out of beef ribs and they charge well over $20 a pound for them but they have always done Beef Ribs. They get alot of their meat from Taylor Meat Maket. They are probably paying in the neighborhood or $3.25 to $3.75 a pound.

People pay the price to eat them. Louie Mueller could probably charge over $30 a pound and they still sell out.
Philip J Fry
AG
I would seriously consider opening a bbq joint out here if I had the capital.
Duncan Idaho
Properly cooked and cut, ribs are the best part of a cow.

I did some the other week
129 degrees for 72 hours then trimmed the membrane off and seared directly on mequity coals.....awesome

As tender as any filet but with the flavor of a ribeye.
http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/short-ribs-time-and-temp
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
Properly cooked and cut, ribs are the best part of a cow.

I did some the other week
129 degrees for 72 hours then trimmed the membrane off and seared directly on mequity coals.....awesome

As tender as any filet but with the flavor of a ribeye.
http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/short-ribs-time-and-temp
The fat renders at 150-160. Only cooking at 129 sounds wrong.

I'm going to smoke(Red Oak) mine at 285 over 6-8 hours seasoned with salt, pepper, and maybe some garlic powder.
HTownAg98
You closely trim the fat before cooking so you don't end up with large amounts of it left on the rib. Plus, the fat rendering isn't the issue; the main issue is getting the collagen to gelatinize.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.