Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Foods to try at Buc-ee's

43,836 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Agz_2003
My Dad Earl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Every time I stop in one of the Buc-ee's stores, I always get caught up looking at their jars of food, salsas, jellys and everything else. I want to try some of these items but I don't know where to start. Does anybody have any recommendations?
dummble
AG
Pastrami Ruben

The first time was my heroin and I have been chasing the dragon ever since

Maybe it was the butter grilled pretzel bun, the dijon mustarn oozing between warm slices of peppery pastrami or the multiple slices of swiss cheese that had fully melted and held this beast of bacon and sauerkraut together. It was a mess in the car, but very worth it.

After typing that out I need to go to there soon
GtownRAB
AG
This can be a long thread. In general, most of the stuff you get there is going to be good but expensive/borderline over priced with the exception of beverages and gas.

The only thing I havent been impressed with was the brisket sandwiches.

I would recommend:

Meat and cheese trays
Jerkey
Fudge
Any of the deli sandwiches

We always stop there so you can get something other than chips and a coke for a snack.
K2T2
If you stop at a big fancy one with the brisket sandwiches, check at the same kiosk for homemade potato chips. It's a big bag full for like $1.35, cheaper than a normal bag of potato chips and made fresh. I don't eat potato chips, but I'll eat these when I'm passing through.
htxag09
AG
It's not a buccees item but they carry king of the pit BBQ sauce. Their spicy (think its called fire engine or something like that) and mustard BBQ sauces are by far my favorite store bought sauces out there.

We love the spicy one on most everything and the mustard one is terrific on pork and chicken.
momlaw
AG
Mayhaw jelly. Nothing but Mayhaw juice, sugar and pectin. Tastes very much like what my cousins' paternal grandfather in Louisiana made... and was grudgingly shared.
Zemira
AG
Bucees breakfast tacos and croissant breakfast sandwiches are top notch (especially when you leave at 6am to drive to Oklahoma).
AgTDub
AG
I like their candied jalapeos as well as their bohemian garlic jerky.
JFrench
AG
Pickled quail eggs. And beaver nuggets.
TXCityGirl
I always buy the strawberry and peach jelly sweetened only with fruit juice. Much less sugar, and they taste great! My husband loves their jerky, and my kids love their sausage kolaches.
MichaelJ
AG
I bought a couple of their beef jerky's last time i ws there...

my dog broke in to the pantry and said they were good
MookieBlaylock
AG
Ice 20lb bag 99cents

Used to have a cabrito breakfast taco that was amazing

Kolaches damn good too
cc10106
I love the white cheddar jalapeno popcorn. Other than that, I've never been impressed with their food, but I need to try some of the recommendations here, especially the reuben.

Also, their "breakfast tacos" are the worst. Avoid any temptation, they're disgusting.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Bohemian Garlic beef jerky, and the jalapeno smoke stix.
AustinCountyAg
I used to live less than 100 yards from the place so I'm very familiar with the store. Their kolaches suck. The pigs suck.

What is decent though is the chicken tender basket as well as the chicken salad.
My personal favorite though is "the hippo"
FtBendTxAg
AG
Their BLT is effing delicious
BMX Bandit
BLT is not on the traditional bread, but it is fantastic.

As is the green chile pork burrito.
My Dad Earl
AG
quote:
I saw the pickled quail eggs the other day and wasn't sure whether to buy a jar or not. Was it worth the purchase?
hillcountryag86
AG
Apologies for getting off topic. I almost always stop at Bucee's -- clean restrooms, gas, and everything that makes them a very good retail operation. But I was really disappointed in their Luling store last month. It was dirty, bathrooms filthy, and the help was terrible. A couple of employees near the entrance smoking. The ones inside could not have cared less about helping anyone.

Maybe we caught them on a bad night but the store overall was totally out of character from their reputation.
TXAG 05
AG
quote:
Apologies for getting off topic. I almost always stop at Bucee's -- clean restrooms, gas, and everything that makes them a very good retail operation. But I was really disappointed in their Luling store last month. It was dirty, bathrooms filthy, and the help was terrible. A couple of employees near the entrance smoking. The ones inside could not have cared less about helping anyone.

Maybe we caught them on a bad night but the store overall was totally out of character from their reputation.
Thats the one I have been to the most and have never seen it like that.
JFrench
AG
quote:
quote:
I saw the pickled quail eggs the other day and wasn't sure whether to buy a jar or not. Was it worth the purchase?

If you like pickled eggs then absolutely. Hard to screw up pickled eggs and the quail is a treat.
Average Joe
AG
quote:
Mayhaw jelly. Nothing but Mayhaw juice, sugar and pectin. Tastes very much like what my cousins' paternal grandfather in Louisiana made... and was grudgingly shared.

I'll remember this. Mayhaw jelly is by far my favorite jelly. It started springing up around Brazos county lately but just isn't the same as what I grew up with in East Texas and Louisiana.
bobbyb0322
I like their dried pork and venison sausage. Good stuff.
schmellba99
AG
Their preserves are good, and the sausage you get there is surprisingly good as well. The jap/cheese is my personal favorite.

I rarely get actual meals there, but the BLT was nails. Brisket sandwich was meh.
agwarrior
AG
I just had the pastrami rueben last wednesday. I had it "all the way" except I decided to hold off on the fried onion strings. It was amazing!! The only thing I might change next time is substitute the honey mustard for spicy mustard. The honey mustart was just a little sweet for my taste.
Quinn
AG
Are beaver nuggets just Corn Pops? That's what they look like to me.
lunchbox
quote:
Bohemian Garlic beef jerky,

This...and I am a fan of their sausage wrapped in a tortilla...
Tree Hugger
AG
I've wondered all the jarred pickled garlic/eggs/peppers/olives come from a central producer that supplies a bunch of stores like that? It seems that Bucees, Woody's, Slovacek's, etc. all have similar tan labels with just the store name changed on it. If this is the case, is it possible to bypass the middle man and get them straight from the supplier?
Tormentos
AG
Bohemian garlic jerky and the jalepeno hunter jerky sticks are my crack.
giddings_ag_06
AG
I lived in Bastrop for a few years and Buc-ee's was a daily stop for me. I've tried quite a bit of their foods and snacks and my personal favorites are:

Signature Club Sandwich: Amazing sandwich... my go to
Homemade Potato Chips: Excellent chips that are hot and salty... way better than anything off the shelf
Hippo Taco: Huge breakfast taco that is very filling... I recommend getting it without sauce so it isn't soggy
Bacon, Egg & Cheese Croissant: Great when you aren't feeling like getting a taco
Chicken Salad: Very good either on a sandwich or just the container to eat with crackers
Kolaches: Pretty good if you're in the mood for one
Fudge: Very good with a ton of varieties and even some sugar free if that's what you want... Rocky Road is great
Dried Green Beans and Dried Okra: Awesome snack and easy to eat a whole container in one sitting
Apple Butter: I love this stuff on bread... A lot like applesauce, but just a great topping
Venison & Pork with Jalapeno Snack Sticks: Very good meat... These things are great to grab on the go for a healthy snack
Jalapeno Cheese Bread: This stuff is the s**t... plain and simple

These are my favorites, but just about everything they have is good. The club sandwich though... my favorite sandwich anywhere.
burnt meat
Boudin Kolache
Allen76
AG
quote:
Are beaver nuggets just Corn Pops? That's what they look like to me.
Haha.... I always joke that they take some non-food items and mash it up and fry the heck out of it.

Seriously I don't think there are any ingredients on the label.

I love those things. If there were a Bucee's near me I would probably die from an overdose of beaver nuggets.
investorAg83
AG
quote:
I lived in Bastrop for a few years and Buc-ee's was a daily stop for me. I've tried quite a bit of their foods and snacks and my personal favorites are:

Signature Club Sandwich: Amazing sandwich... my go to
Homemade Potato Chips: Excellent chips that are hot and salty... way better than anything off the shelf
Hippo Taco: Huge breakfast taco that is very filling... I recommend getting it without sauce so it isn't soggy
Bacon, Egg & Cheese Croissant: Great when you aren't feeling like getting a taco
Chicken Salad: Very good either on a sandwich or just the container to eat with crackers
Kolaches: Pretty good if you're in the mood for one
Fudge: Very good with a ton of varieties and even some sugar free if that's what you want... Rocky Road is great
Dried Green Beans and Dried Okra: Awesome snack and easy to eat a whole container in one sitting
Apple Butter: I love this stuff on bread... A lot like applesauce, but just a great topping
Venison & Pork with Jalapeno Snack Sticks: Very good meat... These things are great to grab on the go for a healthy snack
Jalapeno Cheese Bread: This stuff is the s**t... plain and simple

These are my favorites, but just about everything they have is good. The club sandwich though... my favorite sandwich anywhere.

That club sandwich is RIDICULOUS. Just about the only thing I order from the prep menu.

Bohemian garlic jerky is amazing as well.
cc10106
quote:
Boudin Kolache
This. I also had the pastrami reuben, and both are damn tasty. My opinion of their food is changing thanks to this thread.
Guitarsoup
AG
I'm a low carb person, so their jerky and their smoked cheddar and ... pretty much nothing else.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.