Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Will be in Napa this weekend - Need Suggestions!

1,583 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by aTm2004
ILikeTacos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So there are about 7 threads on this in this section but I was looking for something a little more recent. I am taking the wife for our 5 year anniversary to Napa and am looking for Winery Suggestions. We already planning on checking out one of our favorites in Caymus Vineyards but we are looking for more. We are open to both Whites and Reds, love Cabs, Pinot's and Merlot's. On the whites we stick to the less sweet. Open to Sparkling as well!

As for eating I currently have reservations at Ad Hoc and Bouchon due to suggestions on this board but still have Saturday night open. Thinking someplace much smaller for that night, maybe something that is more of a local favorite. Any Suggestions?

Again I know there are other threads on this subject, but I didn't want to bump an old thread and it get lost in the shuffle. Thanks a TON guys!
aTm96
AG
Mainly spent time in Sonoma rather than napa but I love Summers
HTownAg98
I would suggest reading the old threads. There is a lot of good information in them.
Echoes97
AG
I'll second the reading of the old threads as there is tons of great info in them. Let me ask a quick question, are you pretty much only into wineries (scenery, etc) or would you be interested in finding new/obscure wines in a private setting also?

Also, I highly recommend Redd for a meal. It's right there next to Bouchon and Ad-Hoc in Yountville. For a little less fancy but still very tasty I highly recommend Farmstead in St. Helena.

Given your wine tastes, here's a few off the top of my head, most all are appt only, so keep that in mind:

-Behrens Family (Spring Mountain, if you get an appt, do not be late! And it's tucked away and hard to find, just be aware)

-Schweiger (Spring Mountain, great cab, and others)

-Terra Valentine (Spring Mountain, really cool property)

-Schramsberg - Sparkling wine mainly but they also make a great cab (J. Davies).

-Outpost (Howell Mountain, owners from Houston, fantastic wines and view, another one that's VERY far up the mountain so plan accordingly)

That's just a few, let me know if you'd be into the private tasting deal and I can recommend a couple of great places to discover some great wines.

[This message has been edited by Echoes97 (edited 4/23/2013 11:49a).]
Bruce Almighty
AG
We are going in May and are visiting quite a few wineries that include:

Kitchak
Robert Sinskey
Crane
Pine Ridge
ZD
Darioush
Round Pound
Frog's Leap
Caymus
Robert Mondavi
Peju
Silver Oak
Inglenook
Alpha Omega

This is my first time, so I can't say if they're any good, but they all were recommended.
joshwayne330
Bouchon is a good choice, highly recommend it.

Sparkling wine: Mumm

Cabs and everything else:
Peju (request the Yodeler for a tasting)
Del Dotto - Caves
Jarvis - Caves
Joseph Phelps - a lot of history
Silver Oak - great NEW facility

Bring me back some Pina Howell Mountain, very small operation, if you blink you will miss it...

Highly suggest doing a Hot Air Balloon!!

Good times...
ILikeTacos
AG
quote:
HTownAg98
posted 11:28a, 04/23/13

I would suggest reading the old threads. There is a lot of good information in them.

I did. That's why I said I booked the two restaurants I did, based on reading the other 7 threads. They also haven't been updated in several months, so I am asking if anyone has any new perspective. Thank you.

To everyone with suggestions keep them coming! We are good to go anywhere, try any wine. I called on got on the wait list for Caymus for the weekend. I called Spottswoode but they only had Thursday available and we wanted to spend Thursday seeing San Fran .
ILikeTacos
AG
Thanks for the suggestions so far, just booked a tour at Silver Oak for Sunday. You guys are awesome. Gonna keep checking places out!
Linz02Ag
AG
Cakebread makes one of the best cabs and cab blends I've had, highly recommend checking them out
ILikeTacos
AG
Good call, we love Cakebread. We just booked a tour with them. Thanks!!
Vernada
AG
Don't forget to check out the travel board too if you haven't already.
BSD
AG
Redd Wood Pizza in Yountville might be a low key dinner (probably not cheap, but low key). It's the only fairly new restaurant I know of right now.
Hemingway
AG
DP

[This message has been edited by Hemingway (edited 4/23/2013 10:20p).]
Hemingway
AG
Went in Feb for the first time. Loved Frank Family - joined their club on he spot. Cliff Lede was a close second and wish I would have joined.

Bouchon was nails. Hit the bakery early for a great breakfast. Also, hire a driver if you can. We got one that drove our car. I can dig up the name if you want it. The safety aspect was good, and he recommended some different places and provided local insight.

Where are you staying? Hotel Yountville is really as nice as they say. I wanted to go to Redd and couldn't get reservations, they made a call and we were in.

Enjoy. I wish I would have gone sooner.
JRizzle
AG
My fave is Silver Oak. Loved the small tours and also happens to be my favorite Cab. Ive stayed in Calistoga and we rented a tandem bike. Lots of bike trails between the wineries - it was a blast.
jh0400
AG
Fume Bistro in Napa for dinner
PottsDW
AG
Food
1) Mustard Grill - get the pork chops

Wineries
1)Schweiger was best experience
2)Schramsberg pretty good tour
3)Casa Nuestra - good blend, caught the guys smoking weed when we walked in...
4)Charbay - distillery for a change in pace, just down the mountain from schweiger. Try the green tea aperitif.
4)Skip Mumm, snobby and over rated.
aTm96
AG
Agree on skipping mumm.
ILikeTacos
AG
Thank you all for all of your help so far. This vacation has been amazing so far. Bouchon was incredible last night. Visited Del Dotto yesterday for a tour and that was a ton of fun, and then hit up Domane Carneros (?) for a tour which was uber-informative. Gonna hit up Jordan and La Crema today up in Healdsburg. You guys rock!
BSD
AG
If in Healdsburg, go hit up Dry Creek valley for some delicious zins.
StillNotAnAggie
Model bakery next to the market in Napa for breakfast. V Madrone for a winery if you can get reservations. It is some of the best wine I have ever have. When we went we did Frank family and liked it too.
ILikeTacos
AG
I just want to say thank you again to everyone in this thread for all of their suggestions. This weekend was perfect outside of some rental car issues and it was all due to the WINE and FOOD!

Here are some pics for some future people that might want to travel. These are just cell phone pics for now, and I will update it with the other pics we took over the next day!

First Stop, the caves of Del Dotto! I bought some Cave blend to send back to myself. I don't care if it is a bunch of people just trying to get drunk the ambiance and atmosphere make up for it completely! The wine ain't bad either!

and my wife was happy to be there too!

For Beautiful grounds and a VERY informative educational tour can't pass up Domane Carneros

Barrel Room at Silver Oak, and maybe me doing something naughty to a barrel of Silver Oak...

And finally Osso Bucco at Ad Hoc enjoyed with a 2007 Darioush Napa Cab. It was DELICIOUS!!!

MORE TO COME!

[This message has been edited by AG 07 (edited 4/30/2013 1:20p).]
13wins
AG
I'm jealous. I love Napa Valley. We're heading back for what will be our third trip there in Nov.
aTm2004
AG
Darioush. Wife and I loved their stuff and got a few bottles to bring back. During the tasting, the guy serving saw my ring and asked "is that an Aggie ring?" We then began talking football.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.