Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Natural Gas Fryer

2,810 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by porchdawg
Garrelli 5000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd like to have a natural gas fueled fryer for the back patio. I've always wanted a basket style fryer like you see in restaurants. My grill runs off natural gas and I'd like to split the line and add a deep fryer.

I know - I need a BGE - it's on the list too.

Any recommendations? 1 or 2 baskets.

For these fryers, do you just leave the oil in them when not in use? If only used 2 or 3 times a month is it not worth the hassle (i.e. - would I need to replace the oil each time which would drive up the cost of use and pain in the a$$ factor) ?
Sazerac
AG
Any propane burner can be converted to NG assuming the orifice can be swapped out (needs to be larger for lower BTU NG).

I can't imagine leaving used oil in a fryer is a good idea for anyone or thing involved.
SumAggie
the only difference between propane and NG is the size of the orifice. Propane orifice is smaller because it is under higher pressure. A gas appliance tech should be able to drill it out to the correct size for NG
FIDO*98*
AG
I would not even think about leaving oil in an outside fryer. Thet would be an absolute critter/bug magnet. I drain/filter my fry oil every fry session.
MarylandAG
I have seen these every time I've stopped by a Buckeyes and have always been intrigued, they are called Cajun Fryer. I seem to recall them being in the $300 range, but that is just sheer memory and they did have different sizes some cheaper if memory serves. I know absolutely nothing about them but I will say the build quality looked first rate. It think this might be the website for them.

http://www.cajunfryer.com/

I should edit....I don't know if they were natural gas, all I remember is they were gas, like you would use for a regular gas grill.

[This message has been edited by MarylandAG (edited 3/19/2013 3:03p).]
MarylandAG
I should of clicked on the "products" and then posted the link, so this should be direct to the fryer models

http://www.cajunfryer.com/CajunFryer.html

Holy mother! they have a 17 gallon one..."fry 4 turkeys at once", haha, roll with that one and invite us to your tail gate, that would be one hell of a fish fry!
Garrelli 5000
AG
Thanks all!

MarylandAG - pretty sure I saw those at Buccee's a few years ago.

FIDO - thanks for the info - definitely DA on my part to not consider draining the oil each time.

If I were using for example peanut oil, how many times could I re-use it in a standard basket frier that was only used to cook food for 2 - 10 people for a single meal?

Currently when my wife and I fry food (rarely), I just put vege oil in a tall pot and heat it on the side burner of the grill. Since the amount of oil is so little we just throw it out after frying. 9 out of 10 times we're frying home made egg rolls.
porchdawg
AG
Adam -

If you run the oil through a filter after each use and store it in an airtight container you should be able to re-use it for up to two or three months depending on the amount and volume of cooking you do. I have lightly l-used oil I have kept over a year that is still good. You will know when it turns, it will have an off smell, smoke easily, and foam. If you want to be precise, you can actually purchase test kits online which help you determine when it's time to discard.

porchdawg
AG
Also -In my opinion, don't mess with converting a propane fryer, find a good used NG fryer at a restaurant equipment resale center - you'll get a better quality piece of equipment at a lower price.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.