Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Salsa Recipes

3,758 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by ItsA&InotA&M
Physical Graffiti
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can we post salsa recipes here?

Search doesn't work and they aren't on the stickied thread.

Red, Green, Roasted, quick and easy, or a long process, etc.

I tried my hand at two yesterday and they didn't turn out as well as I'd like so I'm looking for ideas.

Thanks!
rhoswen
AG
Mango Salsa

INGREDIENTS:
1 mango, peeled and finely chopped
1 kiwi, peeled and finely chopped
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons lime juice
1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract

Strawberry Salsa

1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced
4 roma (plum) tomatoes,
seeded and chopped
1 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lime, juiced
1 tablespoon olive oil
Agasaurus Tex
AG
1 jalapeno pepper
2 serrano peppers
1 large clove garlic
1/4 medium onion
3/4 cup cilantro
Juice of 1 lime
28 oz. can whole tomatoes
1.5 tsp Tony Chachere's seasoning (optional)
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
1 tsp black pepper (or to taste)

Coarsely chop the peppers, garlic and onion. Add all ingredients to a food processor and pulse to desired consistency. Cover and refrigerate. Better when made a day ahead. Makes 4 cups.
ChipFTAC01
AG
That's basically the recipe that I use Agsaurus, but I usually put in a whole onion, 3 or 4 jalapenos and 2 or 3 seranos.

It's damn good salsa. Since I started making it a few years ago everyone raves about it. I've started getting a little tired of it and don't make it too much anymore and give away as much as I can.

[This message has been edited by ChipFTAC01 (edited 5/2/2012 8:44a).]
farmer2010
AG
Mine's pretty similar to Agasaurus' recipe. It's easy and it's tasty:

2 cans Rotel
1 can roasted garlic tomato sauce
1 tomato
1/2 onion
2-4 serranos, depending on your desired heat
1/3 cup cilantro
2 cloves garlic
juice from 1 lime
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar

Put everything in the blender and pulse to the desired consistency.
fta09
AG
I'm with Chip. I make something very similar to that, but I usually add a couple of habaneros to spice it up. I grew up in SE New Mexico, so I like heat.

If you would like it roasted, you can sub out the can of tomatoes and get some whole tomatoes. Cook the tomatoes & peppers on a cast iron skillet or on the grill until the skin is black and blistered. Peel the skin off and continue making the salsa as normal. Here is a link to a roasted salsa with pics if you're a visual person.
aggiemathgirl
AG
Very simple. I make this salsa all the time and get lots of compliments.

- 4 Roma tomatoes
- 4 serrano peppers, seeded
- 1 clove of garlic
- fresh cilantro to taste
- salt to taste

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend to desired consistency. I usually make it a day in advance, so that the true spiciness will set in.
joekm3
AG
Pico de Gallo
8 roma tomatos diced
1 small red onion diced
2-4 jalapeno peppers minced
1/2 bunch of cilantro chopped
about 4 limes juiced (adjust to taste)
2 avocados diced
garlic salt or kosher salt and garlic powder to taste

I like a 1/4" dice, and use lots of lime juice. It keeps everything fresh. The avocado is optional, but my family likes it so much that I rarely leave it out.

Also, the salt and garlic are all by taste. Tomatoes vary a lot depending on size and ripeness.
HTownAg98
quote:
Mine's pretty similar to Agasaurus' recipe. It's easy and it's tasty:

2 cans Rotel
1 can roasted garlic tomato sauce

Booooooooo.
Slicer97
AG
6 tomatillos
2 serranos
1 habanero
2 cloves garlic
about 1/4 cup chopped onion (1015 when they're available)
2 tbsp cilantro
juice of 1 lime
pinch of: sea salt, chili powder, cumin, and black pepper

drizzle the tomatillos, peppers, and garlic with olive oil and grill until skin just start to blacken (good time to do this is when the coals are still a bit too hot for the meat)

alternatively, you can smoke those ingredients for an hour/hour and a half if you're doing a brisket or pork butt

place above ingredients into a blender/food processor and blend to desired consistency
HTownAg98
There's a little over 20 salsa recipes here. Some traditional, some not so traditional. I've tried many of them.

http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/category?categoryID=7
cecil77
AG
Salsa (or "hot sauce" as we always called it in the Valley, I never heard the word "Salsa" until moving up north) is one of those "just make it" things. A recipe is just a starting point.

For Pico I make it very similar to joekm3, but no avocado or garlic.

Some diced tomatoes
Some diced cerrano (or jalepeno doesn't really mattter)
Some diced onions
Some chopped cilantro
Some lime juice
Some salt

Adjust "some" to taste or your whim of the moment. Honestly the only important part is to dice the tomatoes and onions small enough. The more uniform the better.

[This message has been edited by cecil77 (edited 5/2/2012 4:16p).]
Aggiehunter34
S
3 Tomatoes
1 can of Rotel (Mexican Style)
Chopped garlic to taste (I use 3-4 cloves)
Jalepeno Peppers to taste (I use jar jalepenos to be quick)
2 teaspoons to vinegar
2 teaspoons of lime
Lots of pepper
1 tsp of salt or to taste
Lots of onion powder (dont like my salsa chunky)
Forgot to add a little cumin.

Add to blender and chop the mess out of it. Nice and runny like I like it.

[This message has been edited by Aggiehunter34 (edited 5/3/2012 11:06a).]
B-1 83
AG
Mine is very much like agasaurus' recipe. I always drain the water an cut the canned tomatoes to drain - that prevents a watery salsa. For a good twist, use fire roasted tomatoes and/or bring the serranos to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes before processing.
bushytailed
AG
my best friend is excited because it's almost "peach salsa season". She loves mine.

(no measurements, I just taste and adjust as necessary)

In a food processor:
peaches, pitted
roma tomatoes
onion
garlic
serranos
cilantro
lime juice
salt

I've been known to sub the peaches for mangoes. That version is tasty as well.
BMX Bandit
This one from Bayless link above is awesome:

8 ounces (about 4 medium) tomatillos, husked and rinsed 
1/2 small red onion, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
1 or 2 canned chipotle chiles en adobo, removed from the canning sauce, seeded and finely chopped
2 small seedless oranges

DIRECTIONS
Set a medium (8-inch) nonstick (or foil-lined) skillet over medium-high heat.  Lay in half of the tomatillos cut-side down.  When they are browned, 3 or 4 minutes, flip and brown the other side.  Remove from the pan and cool. 

Scoop the remaining tomatillos into a food processor and pulse several times until evenly chopped—no pieces should be bigger than 1/4 inch.  Scrape into a medium bowl. Scoop the onion into a strainer, rinse under cold tap water, shake off the excess and add to the bowl along with the chipotles.  Without washing the processor, process the roasted tomatillos until smooth.  Stir into the fresh tomatillo mixture.

Using a small knife, cut the peel from the oranges.  Cut sections (supremes) from the oranges by cutting between the white membranes to release segments with no white pith or membrane. Cut each segment into 3 or 4 pieces and stir them into the tomatillo mixture. Taste and season with salt, usually 1/2 teaspoon.  Cover and refrigerate.
goags2
AG
Any of the above recipes are good, but just use fresh tomatoes, and roast everything in a skillet and then put into blender.
Will be more like La Fogata's in San Antonio.
I do have that recipe
nai06
AG
using a cast iron comal place it on medium-high heat either on stove or grill (i prefer grill).

-let it get hot then place 3-4 large tomatoes, 1-2 garlic cloves, and 2-4 jalapenos on the comal.let them cook till they are blackened on all sides. I make sure and char them really good.

-take one tomato and cut it into quarters. cut the jalapenos into 1 inch chunks and toss them into a blender with the first tomato and garlic. blend until smooth and no big pieces of jalapeno. then cut up the remaining tomatoes and add them. Add salt to taste(couple teaspoons)and cilantro or lime if you like. This time, pulse the salsa until the consistency is how you like it.

-pour into your favorite dish and serve with a wooden spoon.
TennAg
For all you chunky salsa/pico lovers, try to brunoise or small dice some seeded but not peeled cucumber and throw it in. Gives a very fresh flavor and crisp texture.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
did a search on this since i was curious. mine, which was my dad's,usually gets pretty good reviews from friends and family alike. there is no written recipe, i usually just eyeball it, but it comes out spot on every time with its own uniqueness. but always delicious:

Plum tomatoes (Crushed san marzano if fresh plums arent available)
Half that amount tomatillos
Several red onions (dep. on size. around the same amount of tomatillos)
hand full of jalapenos
a few Serranos (if i want it spicy, i'll had a couple chile pequins as well. if i cant find them or chiltepins i will add a habanero)
bunch of cilantro
a hefty amount of garlic (usually a whole pod)
juice of two limes
few pinches of comino
salt and pepper to taste

----------------------------------------------------------
America's destiny is not of our own choosing. We did not seek nor did we provoke an assault on our freedom and our way of life. We did not expect nor did we invite a confrontation with evil. Yet the true measure of a people's strength is how they rise to master that moment when it does arrive.
salmon99
AG
How does everyone keep their salsa from getting sour? When I blend fresh or canned tomatoes along with garlic and onion (I always leave the cilantro until the end), the salsa always turns out sour.

To rectify this, I now always roast my tomatoes and garlic before blending.

Sooner Born
Never had my salsa go sour.
salmon99
AG
It could be my taste buds! I'll try some off the recipes here to see if it's my technique.
Husky Boy Jr.
AG
canned tomatoes? get a rope.
terradactylexpress
I've got the pitchfork
jthorne3
sugar is the key.

seriously.
ItsA&InotA&M
This is a simple recipe I had at a tailgate. It's not for dipping but for tacos, burgers and such.

Chop up several habanera peppers and one white onion into 1/4 inch size pieces. Put in bowl and cover with vinegar.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.