Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Homemade spaghetti sauce

6,156 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by schmendeler
Na Zdraví 87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have a good recipe for homemade spaghetti sauce? Tired of the store bought sauces.
mike073
AG
Been making this for 40 years.

2-28 oz. cans whole tomatoes
2-12 oz. cans tomato paste
3-28 oz. cans water
1 onion
4 celery ribs
1/2 bunch parsley
12 garlic cloves
4 short ribs and 4 pork ribs or 2 lb. chunk of brisket - cubed
3 tablespoon greek oregano
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/2 stick butter or margarine
1/4 cup oil
12 quart pot

Brown the ribs or brisket in the oil - remove.

Add all of the vegetables (finely chopped) and brown them. Chop the whole tomatoes, and add to the pot (also any juice from the whole tomatoes). Add the tomato paste, meat and the water to the pot, bring it to a boil, and cook for one hour. Add all of the seasonings, and the butter, lower the heat, and SIMMER the sauce until the meat is tender-about one more hour. Serve over pasta, with the meat on the side.

I have begun putting the pot in the oven on 300 instead of simmering on the stove. It keep the bottom from burning if you forget to stir and keep me out of the kitchen for a few hours. Timing depends on the kind of meat, so I figure it is ready when the meat is tender.

Gig 'em Aggies!

[This message has been edited by mike073 (edited 11/1/2011 10:35a).]
HTownAg98
Meat or no meat? Here's the one I made Sunday night.

Oven Roasted Tomato Sauce
(adapted from Thomas Keller's "ad hoc at home" )

2 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
1 cup minced leeks (white and pale green parts only)
1 cup finely chopped fennel
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon minced garlic
Kosher salt
1 tablespoons light brown sugar
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Two 28- to 32-ounce cans San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes
1 bay leaf
3 thyme sprigs
10 black peppercorns
1 garlic clove

Lay out a 7-inch square of cheesecloth. Put the bay leaf, thyme, peppercorns, and garlic near the bottom of the square and fold the bottom edge up and over them. Roll once, tuck in the two ends of the cheesecloth, and continue to roll. Tie the cheesecloth at both ends with kitchen twine.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine the oil, onion, leeks, and garlic in a large ovenproof Dutch oven or a baking dish and sprinkle with salt. Put in the oven and cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until the vegetables are tender and beginning to caramelize.

Stir in the brown sugar and vinegar and return to the oven for another 20 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed. Remove from the oven.

Meanwhile, drain the canned tomatoes and remove the seeds. Coarsely chop half the tomatoes. Puree the other half in a food processor.

Add the tomatoes to the vegetables along with the herb packet (satchet), season with salt and pepper to taste, and return to the oven for 1 1/2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes. The sauce should be thick and have a full, rich flavor. Run the side of a spoon through the sauce – if it runs back together immediately, it is too thin. Return it to the oven and cook until thickened.

Discard the satchet and let the sauce cool to room temperature. Refrigerate in a covered container for up to 1 week.

This recipe will give you a chunky, very thick tomato sauce. It's really too thick for pasta, so you may want to thin it out a bit after it's done. If you don't want it so chunky, let it cool, then run it though a food processor or a food mill. I served this with homemade pappardelle and meatballs, so I didn't have a problem with the viscosity or chunkiness. I would recommend thinning it and pureeing it for pasta.

I've got another one for a traditional Sunday Sugo, but it's at home.

[This message has been edited by HTownAg98 (edited 11/1/2011 10:37a).]
FIDO*98*
AG
My basic sauce:

Sautee half of a finely diced onion in 1/4c olive oil. Add in about 4 chopped cloves of garlic. When the garlic is cooked, dump a large can of Cento chef's cut tomatoes in the pot along with about 7 large basil leaves torn before adding. (Never ever add dried basil) Season with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and a pinch of sugar. Let cook at a low simmer for about an hour adding water if necessary. Add in a can of tomato paste and again adjust the consistency. I usually finish with another drizzle of olive oil once it is done

DonaldFDraper
AG
Mine is very similar to driveon's...

1 - 28 oz Can of San Marzano Whole Tomatoes, Hand crushed
1/2 Yellow Onion, Diced
4-6 Garlic Cloves, Minced
Fresh Basil, chiffonade
Dried Oregano
Red Pepper Flake
Olive Oil
Splash of Red Wine (Optional, if I have a bottle open, I'll add it. If I don't, I won't)
Sugar
Salt
Pepper

Heat olive oil over medium heat
Cook onion
Add garlic and red pepper flake
Add a splash of wine (if using)
Add tomatoes
Bring to a simmer
Simmer for about 30 minutes
Add salt, pepper, sugar, and oregano to taste
Add basil a few minutes before serving.

This is my "base" tomato sauce. I tweak it depending on the dish... Add Roasted Red Peppers for Eggplant Parm, etc

I personally think it is important to let the sauce cook a while before adding salt, pepper, and sugar. Some times the tomatoes are more acidic and some times they are not. Always taste your food.

[This message has been edited by ShockEmAgs (edited 11/1/2011 11:45a).]
Agasaurus Tex
AG
If you're ever in Galveston, do yourself a favor and stop by Maceo Spice and Imports and purchase a jar of their Sicilian Style Tomato Gravy.
Sooner Born
driveon, what's the reasoning behind never using dried basil?
DiskoTroop
I'm Italian and grew up in an Italian house hold. I've had my grandmother's scratch made pasta gravy and I've had her "no time to do scratch made, doctor up the jar stuff" pasta gravy too. They're equally as good.

Start with a jar of Prego Pasta sauce in whatever flavor you like... Mushroom, meat, cheese, whatever... Pay attention to how much sauce you have in the pot at this juncture... Add 1/4 of the jar full of water. (For every jar you use initially, add 1/4 of that jar's worth of water.) You can substitute wine for water if you'd like. Note the difference in volume once you add the water (wine.) This will come into play later.

Add whatever FULLY COOKED meat you like. I usually brown a pound of ground beef per jar of sauce used. Or (4) 6" Italian sausage links per jar of sauce.

I add a teaspoon to a tablespoon (per jar) of my favorite dried herb. Sometimes it's basil, sometimes it's rosemary, sometimes it's taragon, sometimes it's thyme. I've even tried dill before. It was interesting, but I'm not sure I'll do it again. Cilantro might be interesting too. Pick one herb and stick to it. Adding lots of herbs gets clouded and you won't be able to taste it very well.

At this juncture I also add a small, drained can (8oz) of Rotel Chilis and Tomatos. It adds a little spice and a little tomato-y chunkage...

Then I add 1 literal pinch of cinnamon (again, per jar used.) Take your thumb and fore finger and lightly press them together. The amount of cinnamon that you can pick up by lightly pressing those two fingers together is the right amount. DON'T GO TOO HEAVY ON THIS. IF YOU THINK YOU HAVE TOO MUCH, DROP SOME. It shouldn't be a huge flavor in the sauce. It helps set off the sweetness and acidity of the tomato.

Stir it all together and set to a low simmer. Cover the pot and let the water (or wine) boil out of the sauce, leaving the lid just a little askew to keep it from throwing sauce everywhere, but to allow steam to vent easily. At this juncture, have a glass of wine for about half an hour to 45 minutes. After that half hour to 45 minutes, start your pot of water boiling for your pasta.

Simmer the sauce until all the water (wine) is boiled out of it. This will be achieved when you're back down to the same volume of sauce that you had in the pot before you added the water (wine.) Remember when you checked it? This should take about an hour or so with 1-2 jars of sauce. If you're making more sauce than that, it will take longer obviously.

Once you've reduced the sauce back to it's original volume, shut the heat off, and put the lid down solid on the pot, sealing in the heat. At this juncture you should have your water boiling for your pasta.

To the water, add:

2 tablespoons olive oil
3-4 large, heaping tablespoons of salt
1 heaping tablespoon black pepper

Trust me on this.

Give the salt a minute to disolve. If you add these things to the water when you first start the pot on the fire, the salt will be nicely disolved by the time it boils.

Cook pasta according to packaging instructions. Strain pasta in collinder in your sink. Put about 2-3 tablespoons of butter in to coat the pasta, or you can use olive oil if you don't want the fat. Sprinkle the drained pasta with salt and pepper again. Trust me on this.

Dish pasta into bowls and pour as much sauce as you'd like over the pasta and cheese it until you're heart's content. I like Asiago. Use whatever you like. Grated very finely.

I swear I can't taste the difference between this and my grandmother's scratch made sauce. Neither could she... When she passed away, she hadn't made a scratch made pot of sauce in nearly two decades.

[This message has been edited by phideaux_2003 (edited 11/1/2011 3:41p).]

[This message has been edited by phideaux_2003 (edited 11/1/2011 3:44p).]
HTownAg98
What is the point of adding olive oil to the water?
DiskoTroop
It breaks the surface tension of the water and allows the water to boil quicker, and reach a rolling boil at a higher temperature.

So I'm told anyhow.

More importantly it adds flavor to the pasta. Dried pasta is terrible about having flavor. Fresh pasta is always better but seems to be rarely used in modern homes today.

[This message has been edited by phideaux_2003 (edited 11/1/2011 3:47p).]
HTownAg98
No offense, but I think you've been lied to. Yes, it does break the surface tension of the water, and that will prevent boil-overs, but it does no service to pasta. What little oil is left on the pasta will prevent it from absorbing the sauce, and doesn't do much for flavor. Use more water next time, and you'll have better pasta that won't boil over.
I'm from the school of after the pasta is done, drain it quickly, and dump it into the pan with the sauce. Toss it a little to get it coated, and then serve, and drizzle with some good olive oil if you like.

[This message has been edited by HTownAg98 (edited 11/1/2011 3:51p).]
DiskoTroop
Well I've never been worried about boil overs. When the oil is added to the water early and brought to a boil before adding the dried pasta, a small amount of the oil is actually absorbed into the pasta as it rehydrates and cooks. It's just a matter of personal taste, but I have tasted pasta with no sauce side by side, one cooked with oil, one without, and I taste a difference.

I guess it's like bottled water. If you like the taste of a particular brand, go for it. I do taste a difference and so I'm gonna keep doing it. If you don't taste it, by all means, cut it from the recipe.

The school of mixing the pasta with the sauce is pretty cool too. Very Southern Italian. Sicilian and Roman pasta is often done that way. My grandmother's family was from Northeast of Venice. Up there they usually pour the sauce over pasta. It's just a cultural thing.

[This message has been edited by phideaux_2003 (edited 11/1/2011 3:54p).]
FIDO*98*
AG
Remember this comment from yesterday

quote:
I didn't think it was racist, however, it is an entirely meaningless statement. As if somehow being from Mexico (or wherever) automatically makes you a great cook or an authority on your native cuisine. News flash! There are shiddy cooks in Mexico, Italy, China, India, Spain, France, etc. and they probably outnumber the good ones.

Fake fido proving my point once again
DiskoTroop
quote:
Remember this comment from yesterday

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I didn't think it was racist, however, it is an entirely meaningless statement. As if somehow being from Mexico (or wherever) automatically makes you a great cook or an authority on your native cuisine. News flash! There are shiddy cooks in Mexico, Italy, China, India, Spain, France, etc. and they probably outnumber the good ones.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fake fido proving my point once again

Oh pardon me Mr. Batali, but you're the one mixing Mexican and Italian...

quote:
red pepper flakes

Green chili's are common in Italy, the red chili's they make red pepper flakes out of, are not.

[This message has been edited by phideaux_2003 (edited 11/1/2011 4:01p).]
HTownAg98
quote:
Green chili's are common in Italy, the red chili's they make red pepper flakes out of, are not.

You might want to run that by the people of Abruzzo and see what they think, considering they have a peperoncino festival every year there.
Atty_Ag
What's the consensus on finishing cooking the pasta in the sauce? Anyone else do this at home? Generally, I will remove pasta from the boiling water two minutes prior to being done, scoop out about a cup of the pasta water, add it to the sauce, and finish cooking the pasta in the sauce to get it to coat and penetrate the pasta. It's done when the sauce comes back to the desired consistency.

Any of you professionals have any tips on this method?
HTownAg98
That's exactly how I do it. I also keep a little of the pasta water handy, in case the sauce gets too thick.

[This message has been edited by HTownAg98 (edited 11/1/2011 4:22p).]
bonfirewillburn
AG
Home Cooks separate, but you should be too!!!!!!

but if you (any restaurant) does not finish your pasta IN YOUR SAUCE you are a failure, abomination, and deserve to be shut down immediately.
bonfirewillburn
AG
I am also from the school that adding oil to your pasta water is POINTLESS - how/when is it absorbed into the pasta? The oil and the water dont mix, and the pasta in below the surface of the water..... MAYBE some touches the pasta as its drained - but the water is flowing off of the pasta rinsing any oil off.

You say you can taste the difference?, Then:

-A-Go get you palate Insured cause you got a gift dude
-B- MORE LIKELY- the placebo affect is real!

Why not just add a tbs to the finished dish - especially with the Extra Virgin Stuff ($$) it has volatile oils in it that the heat from the water would destroy

And water boils at 212F at one atmosphere. Period. Anything above is evaporation.

Sooner Born: All dried herbs suck - just like the Oil they are full of volatile oils that do not remain when dried. Convenient yes, but that 2 year old jar taste more like the paper wrapper than it does basil. Want to cook like a pro use our secret - fresh herbs at the end of cooking (except thyme - you can use that anytime)

[This message has been edited by bonfirewillburn (edited 11/1/2011 4:50p).]
DiskoTroop
Typical red pepper flake is made from cayenne peppers. They're indiginous to South America.

quote:
It is indigenous to South America, but is now cultivated in India, Hungary, Italy, Spain and Turkey, with the other species of capsicum.

http://www.1911encyclopedia.org/Cayenne_pepper

When do you suppose they migrated to Europe? Even with the help of the Spaniards, it wasn't until 1548 according to this website. Don't you think the Italians made pasta sauces before then?

I just found it funny that home-boy abhoars dried basil, but dried peppers are ok...

[This message has been edited by phideaux_2003 (edited 11/1/2011 4:55p).]
DiskoTroop
quote:
I am also from the school that adding oil to your pasta water is POINTLESS - how/when is it absorbed into the pasta? The oil and the water dont mix, and the pasta in below the surface of the water..... MAYBE some touches the pasta as its drained - but the water is flowing off of the pasta rinsing any oil off.

Basic Alton Brown learnings here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emulsion

Boiling will emulsify oil and water...
bonfirewillburn
AG
not without an emulsifier and definitely not with standard home cooking apparatus - not enough power - Alton is good (didnt read article) but if that is what he is saying he is wrong....blasphemy I know!

every time i have ever tried this i get oil on the surface throughout the entire cooking.....never emulsifies for me? I dont know maybe i dont know how to boil......

Pasta Salt Water - all you need!

[This message has been edited by bonfirewillburn (edited 11/1/2011 4:55p).]
FIDO*98*
AG
quote:

I just found it funny that home-boy abhoars dried basil, but dried peppers are ok...

Fake fido you are seriously giving Keesha a run for her money sounding dumber and dumber every time you try and prove your point. This is an apples and oranges comparison
DiskoTroop
Hum... I beg to differ... Watch it with your own eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nG1FnYTxbQ

Not me in the video by the way, just a youtube random.

While I suppose it may not be a true emulsion, the oil does end up suspended in the water in tiny droplets while at a rolling boil. I guess I'd better look into that insurance policy. I suppose you shouldn't bother though...

Also, maybe check here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p7UcCAw39c

About the 3 minute mark... 15% loss in oil content... Where do you suppose it went?
bonfirewillburn
AG
ARE YOU F-ING kidding me?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

big difference between a leaf and a fruit!!!

Tanya 93
a lot of sausage waving here.

I hope it is turkey sweet Italian
bonfirewillburn
AG
quote:
While I suppose it may not be a true emulsion, the oil does end up suspended in the water in tiny droplets while at a rolling boil. I guess I'd better look into that insurance policy. I suppose you shouldn't bother though...

Suspended droplets are not an EMULSION and will not enter the pasta.

DiskoTroop
quote:
This is an apples and oranges comparison.

How so drive on?

Why are dried peppers ok, but dried herbs not?
DiskoTroop
Fine, where did the %15 loss go?
DiskoTroop
bonfirewillburn, I said the oil flavors the pasta. You said the oil never touches the pasta. I've proven that wrong, so would you care to explain how, even though the oil IS touching the pasta while boiling, it isn't entering the pasta or flavoring it in anyway?
bonfirewillburn
AG
The oil is still a droplet - it has still not mixed completely into the water - still hasn't broken hygroscopic bonds of the water molecules - though it has forcefully been pushed into the water by convection - it is still not going to be absorbed by pasta.

Like I said - jsut add oil as you finish - will go much further, have more flavor, and actually do somehitng

Dried herbs lose all thier essential oils - dont waste money on dried herbs FRESH ARE ALWAYS BETTER

Peppers are fleshy - you can concentrate the flavor and trap some of the essential oils withing the cell structure as it dries. Also many recipes call for specific flavors developed in the drying process of peppers.

Drying is a preservation technique, yes you are preserving the herb too - but herbs are typically very hearty and can survive almost as well as weeds in adverse climates - so because they are typically readily available and taste better you should use them instead.

Peppers are seasonal - you cannot get them all year long -dont even start with grocery store crap - that is barely vegetables. Herbs dont require ripening like fruit does.

FIDO*98*
AG
fake fido I never said don't use dried herbs. I said don't use dried basil.

See BW's comment for my Apples and Oranges reasoning

So little of the oil would be emulsified in the volume of water required to boil pasta it would not provide any flavor

Keep digging your hole

DiskoTroop
Still waiting on an answer to this one...

quote:
where did the %15 loss go?

drive on, fair enough. You did say not to used dried basil, not dried herbs. My mistake. While I certainly understand the aversion, as fresh IS always better, there's no reason not to use them if that's all you have. You made it sound as though you'd contract the plague if you used them.

As for dried peppers...

So drying herbs releaves them of their waters and oils, thus relegating them as less flavorful and therefore sub-optimal, but drying peppers doesn't releave them of their waters and oils, therefore leaving them vivacious and peppy? I mean, are these magic peppers, procured by the same guy who sold Jack his magical beanstalk beans?

Pardon the shameless pilfering from My Cousin Vinny.
bonfirewillburn
AG
Leaf - used for transpiration - designed to evaporate water and keep a plant cool as well as let in CO2 and get rid of its waste 02 - thus when dried it is able to lose more because of the structure

Pepper is a fruit - wants to be eaten so the seeds can spread - has a different set of nutritional value and cell structure - simply its THICKER and traps SOME oil - also many peppers are dried over fire/smoke - imparting more flavor

take it it a step further - dried beans- they retain even more nutritional value, flavor, and essential oils than a fruit does

Dried herbs = bad
Dried fruit = ok
dried beans = fine

[This message has been edited by bonfirewillburn (edited 11/1/2011 6:25p).]
Hodor
AG
OK, wth... I'll join in.

I've recently made some modifications of recipes that I've found in a few different places, and found a combination that I like...

*1 lb of beef or pork ribs, short ribs, or some other tough cut of meat (never thought about brisket, but it would probably work)
*3 14oz cans of whole tomatoes (recently found 14 oz cans of San Marzano at Central Market that are great! No CaCl added, and it's in puree instead of juice) strained and broken up by hand. Reserve the juices!
*1/2 cup of red wine
*1 med white onion, minced
*4 or more cloves of garlic, crushed and minced
*sprig of rosemary
*small bunch of thyme, or maybe 1 tsp of dried(?)
*minced fresh parsley

heat oven to 250.

Put juice from tomatoes in medium saucepan over med-low heat. Bring to gentle boil, and reduce by 1/4-1/2. I usually add the thyme, rosemary, maybe a bay leaf and red pepper flakes here.

Brown the meat in an enameled dutch oven in a tablespoon or so of olive oil. Set aside.

Add onions, and cook until soft and starting to brown. Add the broken up tomatoes, and cook until they start to stick to the pan a bit and start to take on some color. You'll hear a difference in the sound when the water has cooked out and they're starting to really cook. Add garlic, and cook a minute or so more.

Add the red wine, and scrape up all of the flavorful bits. Add the reduced tomato juice and the meat. If needed, can add some water or chicken broth to make sure the meat is covered. Bring to a gentle boil, and put it in the oven.

Cook for 2 or more hours, until the meat falls freely from the bone. Remove the ribs, shred the meat, and toss the bones as well as any connective tissue that hasn't melted away.

Serve with some freshly grated Parmesan and pecorino romano over a hearty pasta like penne or large macaroni.

Yum.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.