Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Restaurant Style Ranch

6,419 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by investorAg83
TresPuertas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I fancy myself to be a pretty good cook, and have a fairly good grasp of how to prep a lot of things, bu I have NEVER been able to get this one right.

I have scowered the internet and have tried all of the recipes, but nothing is really ever gotten close.

For those of you how have worked in Restaurants and are chefs, how on earth do you do this?
gigm09
AG
check out this thread, it was discussed a lot there: http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=1932561&forum_id=67
TresPuertas
AG
Thanks. I had seen that thread before, but I still couldn't get them to work. Its maddening. I am basically looking for a restaurant employee or chef, tell me exactly how they do this.
FIDO*98*
AG
What brand of mayo did you use?
TresPuertas
AG
see, I think this is the problem. I just used the Kraft Mayo that is made with Olive Oil. Every time I've tried to perfect this, it ALWAYS comes out tasting way too much like Mayo.
HTownAg98
Well there's your problem. Use mayo made with a neutral oil.
clintaggie04
AG
Hidden valley package of ranch dressing, not dip, add mayo and buttermilk.
FIDO*98*
AG
Kraft mayo is turrible. This is the company that produces the worst condiment on the planet (Miracle Whip). Don't expect their Mayo to make a good ranch dressing.

Use Hellman's next time and try 2/3 mayo and 1/3 sour cream as the base. Thin with buttermilk as necessary.
straw
I'm a fan of Duke's mayo
62strat
AG
quote:

this is how fuddruckers does it. I worked there.

it was kraft mayo, plain jane mayo in a big gallon jug. and borden buttermilk. I forget the ratios, but those two things plus the hidden valley seasoning packet was all we used.

Sometimes we'd make it and it was too runny, so we'd add some sour cream to compensate..

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 10/31/2011 1:29p).]
nai06
AG
quote:

also how hooters make their ranch too.
Garrelli 5000
AG
quote:

This. Also, don't get the crap hidden valley dressing mix that says no buttermilk required. Verify the label. Get the old faithful dressing mix that specifies adding butter milk.

Once you get this down you can tinker w/it to build a flavor profile you prefer. I like adding dill but if you add too much it starts to taste funny. Also blended pickled jalepeno slices are good. Blend them separately and stir in once you've already made the rest of the mix.

FWIW, here are my favorite ranch dressings.

1 - Jack in the Box. This was the ranch that got me addicted to the stuff back in the early 80's. It came with their chicken strip "dinner" that was only available after 4pm. Jack in the Box is still the torch bearer for me.

The rest are in no particular order and are chains because there's a million places that make good ranch. these are just the ones I've noticed that I like.

Chili's - great dipping consistency. Too often I'll get a good tasting ranch somewhere that I feel like I need a spoon to get the full flavor because it's too watered down. Chili's is consistenly good flavored and not too thick or thin.

Outback - not much to say other than I like it.

Chuy's Creamy Jalepeno - there are knockoff recipes online that are pretty damn accurate. They start w/the basic recipes mentioned above.
investorAg83
AG
quote:
this is how fuddruckers does it. I worked there.

it was kraft mayo, plain jane mayo in a big gallon jug. and borden buttermilk. I forget the ratios, but those two things plus the hidden valley seasoning packet was all we used.

Sometimes we'd make it and it was too runny, so we'd add some sour cream to compensate..

I worked the prep kitchen there too (long ago), but I remember sour cream being included.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.