How does a tank get lost in the field?

2,119 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 23 days ago by WolfCall
bigtruckguy3500
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Somehow ended up on this Wikipedia page, and apparently this super heavy tank was discovered in a field, covered in brush, by Ft Belvoir, VA. It had been there for 27 years.

How does that happen? Like an entire base got essentially got locked down when someone couldn't find their rifle.

Likewise, I think our Spirit of '02 cannon was just found in a ravine during a bonfire cut. Was it just that easy to abandon military hardware back then?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T28_super-heavy_tank
JABQ04
AG
I'd wager it was just abandoned for lack of caring. Designed for the end of WWII and only had 2 prototypes built. By the time it would see action it would be obsolete.
bigtruckguy3500
But still, can you imagine a HMMWV going missing? Or a howitzer? I mean, I signed for 4 assault packs for my guys in one of my units. Not even the contents, just 4 empty packs. I'm just curious how someone drives a tank to the field and just leaves it there. Maybe it was intentional and the paperwork just got lost over the course of a few decades, and the memory of what happened also faded.
Moy
I'd guess it suffered the same fate of so many farm tractors, implements, and other mobile construction equipment you sometimes see abandoned in the countryside. It broke down and no one took the time to retrieve or fix it. At almost 100 tons, that's no easy tow.
OldArmyCT
AG
I may be wrong but Lake Tholocco (or however it's spelled) at Ft Rucker drained itself in 1990 due to some malfunction and they found a submerged helicopter. And my unit in Vietnam had an extra off the books helicopter maintenance built from a crashed one that was supposed to be destroyed. It was always kept operational so it could be flown away if any unannounced inspectors showed up, which they did even over there. They drove off with our extra Jeep one day that our CO was using (which he didn't know was an extra Jeep).
JA83
AG
Lots of WWII, Korea, and Vietnam vintage stuff got buried or dumped. I did some environmental work for the Corps of Engineers in Alaska and remember hearing stories about buried torpedoes and bombs in the Aleutians, a beach at Eareckson Air Station that's covered with unspent .50 cal rounds, and chemical munitions dumped in a lake near Ft. Greely. I can imagine it went something like this - Commanding Officer: "Sergeant/Chief, is that stuff on the books?" Reply: "No Sir." CO: "Then make it go away."
CAVGrunt97
AG
Lots of "special units" there. Maybe they got it for something and then abandoned it once they were done. Because special units have money growing out of their ears!

We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well, and live!
JABQ04
AG
Yeah for sure I've been there. Pretty sure the accountability culture wasn't the same in the 40s as it is now, where units are kept out looking for experimental pizza MREs. Just think the tank was obsolete and a PITA and they just said "Eff it". Leave it where it lies. This is also the same generation that won a world war smoking cigarettes and not worrying about PowerPoint updates for the battalion commander.
Eliminatus
AG
Was scanning for UXO at 29 Palms years ago and got a big hit in a wadi DEEP into the training ranges. If you are familiar with the area, it was towards the Lavic Lake part of the base. Started digging and what do we find?

A 40mm Bofors piece. The whole damn thing, carriage included. Obviously had been washed there at some point. Cool as hell and I dearly wish I could find the pictures of me sitting in the gunners seat. Well, it WAS cool u til we realized that the range we were finishing up got extended an extra two days to dig it out and cut it up to remove. No one, and I mean no one, likes being extended out at 29…
Rabid Cougar
AG
Saw this in person at the Patton Museum many years ago. It is a beast.
Ag_of_08
AG
Know someone running a museum in pearl.... all the ships and museums are on a first name basis with EOD. There has been some SERIOUS unexplored ordinance found under desks in cardboard boxes!!
Aggie Dad 26
Moy said:

I'd guess it suffered the same fate of so many farm tractors, implements, and other mobile construction equipment you sometimes see abandoned in the countryside. It broke down and no one took the time to retrieve or fix it. At almost 100 tons, that's no easy tow.

They threaten to keep you at work 24 hrs around the clock when sensitive items are not accounted for.

A tank?
PanzerAggie06
AG
"Lost" can be a relative term.

My dad was visiting me at Knox in 08 while I was attending AOBC. We visited the Armor museum and when we saw this particular tank he laughed. He remembered playing on it with his friends when his father was assigned to Belvoir in the early/mid 50s. This was when the Engineer Branch was still headquartered there and they would often use this tank as gauge the strength of bridges being tested.

RedAnimal12
AgLA06
AG
Sounds like it was supposed to be destroyed and someone decided they knew a great place to hide it instead of disassembly for weeks.

Probably drove out there and drank beer next to it instead.
Tanker123
Sometimes old armored vehicles are used for target practice.
WolfCall
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

Somehow ended up on this Wikipedia page, and apparently this super heavy tank was discovered in a field, covered in brush, by Ft Belvoir, VA. It had been there for 27 years.

How does that happen? Like an entire base got essentially got locked down when someone couldn't find their rifle.

Likewise, I think our Spirit of '02 cannon was just found in a ravine during a bonfire cut. Was it just that easy to abandon military hardware back then?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T28_super-heavy_tank
Thank you for posting OP! My Dad went through Engineer Officer Candidate School at Ft. Belvoir in 1944. Based on Dad's oral stories about Engineer OCS and his unpublished memoirs, I would think you could hide a tank at Ft. Belvoir. He often talked about the forests at Ft. Belvoir and working night (and day) problems there.

In the following excerpt he states, "The culmination of the [Engineer] OCS course was what they called The Forty Hour Problem. On Thursday, we attended training and classes as usual. At 4 PM we fell in with full field pack and did not return until 8 AM Saturday morning. During those forty hours we cleared a mine field in a marsh, put troops across a river on small boats, built a pontoon bridge, built a Bailey Bridge, laid out new mine fields, installed simulated explosives on bridges - all under battle conditions with no lights at night. Every once in awhile, we could catch a short nap, but we were in the same clothes all the way........ "
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.