Challenge Coins

2,712 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by MarathonAg12
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I thought some here may appreciate my collection I have amassed over the years. I thought I had a lot more but I guess not. Almost all are from ships or associated Naval Commands, so may not interest everyone. I always try and get one from the Chief's Mess if possible as they are the best, as you will see. While the crazy ones are cool, I think I like the simple ones with eye catching art the best these days.

Here are the DDG'S.

And here are the flat decks

Here are some other random boats

Here are some USNS vessels

A couple random ones, Units, embassy, various teams etc..

And here are several JMSDF (Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force) coins.

clarythedrill
Pretty nice. I have about 180 of them myself, all Army with the exception of a couple Air Force and a few Korean Army ones. What is the back story on those two of yours with the cavalry guidon on them? Also, one had the 2nd Infantry Division patch on it?
DogCo84
AG
Interesting! I did a Tiger Cruise aboard USS Pinckney (DDG-91) in 2017 while my son was assigned as a MK-160 5-inch FC. In fact, his CO during that deployment was CDR Frank Walter. I wonder if y'all were shipmates?

I have a few from my days contracting with the USAF in Oman/UAE 2011-2017. I don't have any from my time on AD (Army). I don't really remember challenge coins being a thing in the mid/late 1980s.
clarythedrill
DogCo84 said:

Interesting! I did a Tiger Cruise aboard USS Pinckney (DDG-91) in 2017 while my son was assigned as a MK-160 5-inch FC. In fact, his CO during that deployment was CDR Frank Walter. I wonder if y'all were shipmates?

I have a few from my days contracting with the USAF in Oman/UAE 2011-2017. I don't have any from my time on AD (Army). I don't really remember challenge coins being a thing in the mid/late 1980s.
I joined in 1990, and you would see them given out every now and then, but the practice really took off in the mid-90s. In fact, in the Army, battalion level and above command teams were given a small budget just for coins as a part of their overall budget. Many company/troop/battery Commanders and 1SGs are paying out of pocket for their own and they present them as they wish. There are rules for the issue at battalion and above, but those are followed pretty darn loosely.
Sea Speed
AG
I only worked alongside her, so no shipmates for me.
MarathonAg12
I heard you are going green to gold and asked to go work for COL Digimon.

I really loathed that individual.
clarythedrill
MarathonAg12 said:

Hahahaha, no I don't think so. He was a one of a kind for sure.

I guess you heard what happened to my battle, Lancer 6?

MarathonAg12
clarythedrill said:

MarathonAg12 said:

Was it the "juicy" one?

If not, then I'll need some detail.
clarythedrill
MarathonAg12 said:

clarythedrill said:

MarathonAg12 said:

Was it the "juicy" one?

If not, then I'll need some detail.
Dont know what the "juicy" one is, you need to clue me in. No, I am talking about the problems he had as the Ironhorse Commander in Europe. He was replaced due to command climate......AKA he got relieved for telling his loser staff they were losers......or something to that effect.
Dirk Diggler
AG
Clary,

You peeked my interest with your Cav guidon question. Did a little search and apparently that is the USS Ronald Reagan's battle flag design based off of Reagan's service in Cavalry units, both enlisted and as an officer. Pretty cool.

https://11thcavnam.com/updates/uss%20reagan.htm

https://www.reaganlibrary.gov/reagans/ronald-reagan/military-service-ronald-reagan
clarythedrill
Dirk Diggler said:

Clary,

You peeked my interest with your Cav guidon question. Did a little search and apparently that is the USS Ronald Reagan's battle flag design based off of Reagan's service in Cavalry units, both enlisted and as an officer. Pretty cool.

https://11thcavnam.com/updates/uss%20reagan.htm

https://www.reaganlibrary.gov/reagans/ronald-reagan/military-service-ronald-reagan

That is very cool, never knew that about him. Thank you for sharing.

EDIT: The USNS Watkins is named for MSG Travis E. Watkins, who was killed in the Korean War and earned the Medal of Honor. He served in the 9th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division, hence the 2ID patch.
Dirk Diggler
AG
https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/04/09/army-1st-cavalry-division-brigade-commander-fired-allegedly-bullying-his-subordinates.html

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/03/29/fort-hood-based-brigade-commander-under-investigation-after-allegations-of-toxic-leadership-flouting.html

I think this is who you are referring to. He also had weird/ racist nicknames for staff members and would openly refer to them by the nicknames in staff meetings. One of the nicknames from the investigation was "honey jack".
clarythedrill
Dirk Diggler said:

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/04/09/army-1st-cavalry-division-brigade-commander-fired-allegedly-bullying-his-subordinates.html

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/03/29/fort-hood-based-brigade-commander-under-investigation-after-allegations-of-toxic-leadership-flouting.html

I think this is who you are referring to. He also had weird/ racist nicknames for staff members and would openly refer to them by the nicknames in staff meetings. One of the nicknames from the investigation was "honey jack".
Oh, I know who it is, I was his CSM when he was in Battalion Command. I was with him for about 27 months before I came out of position.

During my time with him, not once did he ever use any name or phrase that could be misconstrued in any way as racist. Now, he did have nicknames for a lot of people, but you would have to have REALLY thin skin to take any nickname he used as being degrading or belittling.

What he did do on a daily basis is expect you to know your job and execute your duties to a high standard. If you showed that you were incompetent, he would let you know and he also told you how to fix yourself and expect you to do it. If you proved your incompetence a second time, you were pretty much done in his eyes and he would do everything in his power to move that person to a unit and position that was more inline with their abilities.

Only once did I ever see him REALLY dig into someones ass in front of others, but boy did that Major deserve it. The only people in that room for that asschewing was the Commander, the BN XO, the Major in question, the Ops SGM and myself, so its not like it was in front of the rank and file of the battalion. I would serve with him again in a heartbeat and would not think twice about it.

I have never seen a Field Grade Officer care about the Soldiers, NCOs and Officers of his unit more than him. He will always have my loyalty, he more than earned it when I was his battle.

MarathonAg12
Ahhhhh.

How could I forget. That was all over ARMYWTF Moments. I had mixed feelings about that. I longed for the souls of the Troopers in 1st CAV because that was my first assignment. And 1st BDE just got through a very toxic BDE Commander. So I said to myself, "Good Lord another COL D?! Those poor Soldiers and junior officers".

Your write up of your old battle makes me feel a little better. There is always two sides to every story. I tend to align my philosophy with Senior NCOs more. And actually every one I stay in touch with today are mostly retired SFC/CSM/1SG and active platoon sergeants. I've transitioned to Army Reserve for Grad School and a much needed PCS break for the family. I'm currently a senior captain.

Maybe its good that most of my friends are NCOs and not loaded with officers. Like I said before, I always got along well with the enlisted crowd because I am common sense type of guy and tend to cut out the "bells and whistles/dog and pony" nonsense. I am sure that this has hurt me on OERs, but that was never my priority.

I look forward to coming back in as a Clinical Social Worker for my last 10 years active. Infantry was real, fun but not real fun.
clarythedrill
MarathonAg12 said:

Ahhhhh.

How could I forget. That was all over ARMYWTF Moments. I had mixed feelings about that. I longed for the souls of the Troopers in 1st CAV because that was my first assignment. And 1st BDE just got through a very toxic BDE Commander. So I said to myself, "Good Lord another COL D?! Those poor Soldiers and junior officers".

Your write up of your old battle makes me feel a little better. There is always two sides to every story. I tend to align my philosophy with Senior NCOs more. And actually every one I stay in touch with today are mostly retired SFC/CSM/1SG and active platoon sergeants. I've transitioned to Army Reserve for Grad School and a much needed PCS break for the family. I'm currently a senior captain.

Maybe its good that most of my friends are NCOs and not loaded with officers. Like I said before, I always got along well with the enlisted crowd because I am common sense type of guy and tend to cut out the "bells and whistles/dog and pony" nonsense. I am sure that this has hurt me on OERs, but that was never my priority.

I look forward to coming back in as a Clinical Social Worker for my last 10 years active. Infantry was real, fun but not real fun.
Good luck with the Clinical Social Worker position. Now, about that "juicy" story?
MarathonAg12
clarythedrill said:

MarathonAg12 said:

Ahhhhh.

Good luck with the Clinical Social Worker position. Now, about that "juicy" story?
Right!

It was a BC within 1BDE during the 2016 rotation to Korea. I'm struggling to remember his name but it was a maneuver battalion. Anyways, he got caught having a local national girlfriend and there was reports of him being out and about with her on the town. It was a classic juicy girl story gone wrong. But I believed he was relieved and he also had a wife and kids back home.
clarythedrill
MarathonAg12 said:

clarythedrill said:

MarathonAg12 said:

Ahhhhh.

Right!

It was a BC within 1BDE during the 2016 rotation to Korea. I'm struggling to remember his name but it was a maneuver battalion. Anyways, he got caught having a local national girlfriend and there was reports of him being out and about with her on the town. It was a classic juicy girl story gone wrong. But I believed he was relieved and he also had a wife and kids back home.
That was the FA BN Commander. Yes, he had a juicy girl, who happened to own a bar in Uigeongbu. All the BN Command teams were out on a Saturday night and he took us all there to her bar and we drank for free the entire night. There were guidons and all kinds of stuff from his FA BN on the walls and such.

His story was that she adopted his battalion for the rotation to show good civil/military relations. He got caught when he came through the Camp Hovey gate during curfew hours in his BN SUV with her in the passenger seat. He remained in the ROK for several weeks after the brigade redeployed while the investigation was ongoing. The 2ID Commander didnt put up with that nonsense.

I know he was an Officer, but there is a joke: What is the best way to make Sergeant in Korea? Show up as a Staff Sergeant. Hahahaha.
MarathonAg12
clarythedrill said:

MarathonAg12 said:

clarythedrill said:

MarathonAg12 said:

Ahhhhh.

Right!

That was the FA BN Commander. Yes, he had a juicy girl, who happened to own a bar in Uigeongbu. All the BN Command teams were out on a Saturday night and he took us all there to her bar and we drank for free the entire night. There were guidons and all kinds of stuff from his FA BN on the walls and such.

His story was that she adopted his battalion for the rotation to show good civil/military relations. He got caught when he came through the Camp Hovey gate during curfew hours in his BN SUV with her in the passenger seat. He remained in the ROK for several weeks after the brigade redeployed while the investigation was ongoing. The 2ID Commander didnt put up with that nonsense.

I know he was an Officer, but there is a joke: What is the best way to make Sergeant in Korea? Show up as a Staff Sergeant. Hahahaha.

Oh yeah! Had E-5s becoming fuzzy in my unit.

Korea is a wild place for all ranks. Work hard, play harder, no families, people drinking with people they haven't before.

Another Ironhorse 6 story. His staff was letting off some steam at a campfire in hovey. Just officers having a drink after work, he left his quarters saw them, yelled at all of them then went back inside. He just never knew when to turn it off. This wasn't Afghanistan but he treated every as such.
clarythedrill
MarathonAg12 said:

clarythedrill said:

MarathonAg12 said:

clarythedrill said:

MarathonAg12 said:

Ahhhhh.

Right!

Oh yeah! Had E-5s becoming fuzzy in my unit.

Korea is a wild place for all ranks. Work hard, play harder, no families, people drinking with people they haven't before.

Another Ironhorse 6 story. His staff was letting off some steam at a campfire in hovey. Just officers having a drink after work, he left his quarters saw them, yelled at all of them then went back inside. He just never knew when to turn it off. This wasn't Afghanistan but he treated every as such.
Ironhorse 6 and I had two run-ins, both in Korea. First one was in his office, and had to do with the no BBQing and drinking rule that he implemented. He asked me my opinion on it and I let it fly. All the BN Commanders were there, but I was the only CSM, and the only one who's opinion he asked. He was livid after I spoke my mind and all the Commanders were sweating as I took my ass chewing. Afterwards they all laughed about it, happy it was me instead of them.

Second time was when I was trying to get my HHC 1SG back to Hood to PCS to the Academy. He would not authorize any PCS leave, so he would leave Korea and report to the Academy three days later, with no time to help with moving his family and all that goes along with a PCS move. He told us "NO" several times but I would not take that for an answer. I caught him at the range tower on Rod Range and engaged him again, and he blew up again on me, which was expected. In the end he relented and let him have 15 days leave.

I guess he respected me because he ranked me the #1 CSM in the brigade on two NCOERs and gave me a Most Qualified both times.

He was certainly bi-polar at times.

EDIT: His CSM, CSM Coffey, was a limp noodle. He was the one at West Point who published emails or texts bashing then President Trump.
Dirk Diggler
AG
Clary,

I don't know much about him other than what I read in those articles..... never saw anything from the investigation. I do know that he was removed around the same time that several other officers and NCO's were removed around Fort Hood surrounding the Guillen investigation and Command Climate/ SHARP investigations, it was certainly interesting times. I also remember reading his article about the usefulness of having salad at all FTX's.

https://fromthegreennotebook.com/2020/09/01/why-every-field-exercise-needs-salad/

I'm sure it is difficult to hear all the stuff about your battle buddy. I don't have BC/ CSM relationship experience, but I did serve as a Company Commander for 26 months ( Tank Co and HHC). I had 4 different 1SG's, and we are all very close. I remember reading that he redeployed early from the BDE's Europe Rotation for medical reasons, and I hope he received good care and has recovered.

If you were the CSM for 2-5 CAV on their Korea Rotation a few years ago I believe you were in Dragon Valley? I was in same footprint on my last rotation. My HQ was at the bottom of the hill by Indianhead circle across from MP. I hated walking up that hill for meeting at BN HQ, especially in the winter. Miss both the KSB's in Dragon Valley and just behind my office.

Trying to get this back onto challenge coins.. here are a few of my favorite.. some CAV, Korea, and 2ID related. I'm obviously biased but I think my Tank Co coin is pretty badass.....

clarythedrill
Dirk Diggler said:

Clary,

I don't know much about him other than what I read in those articles..... never saw anything from the investigation. I do know that he was removed around the same time that several other officers and NCO's were removed around Fort Hood surrounding the Guillen investigation and Command Climate/ SHARP investigations, it was certainly interesting times. I also remember reading his article about the usefulness of having salad at all FTX's.

https://fromthegreennotebook.com/2020/09/01/why-every-field-exercise-needs-salad/

I'm sure it is difficult to hear all the stuff about your battle buddy. I don't have BC/ CSM relationship experience, but I did serve as a Company Commander for 26 months ( Tank Co and HHC). I had 4 different 1SG's, and we are all very close. I remember reading that he redeployed early from the BDE's Europe Rotation for medical reasons, and I hope he received good care and has recovered.

If you were the CSM for 2-5 CAV on their Korea Rotation a few years ago I believe you were in Dragon Valley? I was in same footprint on my last rotation. My HQ was at the bottom of the hill by Indianhead circle across from MP. I hated walking up that hill for meeting at BN HQ, especially in the winter. Miss both the KSB's in Dragon Valley and just behind my office.

Trying to get this back onto challenge coins.. here are a few of my favorite.. some CAV, Korea, and 2ID related. I'm obviously biased but I think my Tank Co coin is pretty badass.....

Yes, I had Dragon Valley. Were you 1-12 or 2-12? I was a PSG in 1-12 when they were in 1st BDE way back when. Nice coins. And yes, that tank coin is pretty awesome. I may try to post some of mine if I can figure out how without finding a hosting site.
Dirk Diggler
AG
I was with 1-12, cool you were a PSG..... I imagine a Tank PSG? Having a star makes it super simple to post photo's.. no need for hosting site.. its almost cheating. Here are a few more of my 1-12 coins...
clarythedrill

Well crap. Followed the instructions and nada.

https://ibb.co/crztckY

https://ibb.co/y6Q6RQ3

https://ibb.co/PgpDzbv

https://ibb.co/yVvdbgn
clarythedrill
Dirk Diggler said:

I was with 1-12, cool you were a PSG..... I imagine a Tank PSG? Having a star makes it super simple to post photo's.. no need for hosting site.. its almost cheating. Here are a few more of my 1-12 coins...

Yes, Tank PSG from Jan 2002 to March 2004 and Mortar PSG from March 2004 to May 2005.
Dirk Diggler
AG
Yeah that's a few more than me . I have a decent sized rack full. Not an entire conversation piece furniture display. Very cool.

clarythedrill
Dirk Diggler said:

Yeah that's a few more than me . I have a decent sized rack full. Not an entire conversation piece furniture display. Very cool.

Thank you for the help with the pictures.
MarathonAg12
You are ARMOR AF haha

I'm class of '12 went Infantry. My first unit was 2-12 in 1BDE, 1CD so that cactus looks VERY familiar!

Cheers brother!

Picture from my Germany rotation in 2014.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.