Transitioning from the Army

1,996 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by stoneyjr78
Aggie1949
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Team,

I am getting ready to retire from the Army. I am looking at placing the family roots in College Station, but I am not sure what the Job Market is there. I am looking at going into Project Management or Program Management. If someone is willing, what is the market there and is it plausible for a Retired Infantry 1SG of 20 years to find work easily there?
Hey Nav
AG
igloo -

Welcome to the world of the retired military.

I don't have any answers to your questions, though, as I don't live in the area. I'd recommend you cross-post on the Aggieland and Job Network forums.

Best wishes.
Animal Eight 84
AG
Most major corporations that have Project Managers require a Project Management Institute (PMI ) certification to be a project manager.
Internal processes and procedures will reflect PMI Body of Knowledge standards so you've got to know the lingo.

FWIW, PMI originated out of Dept of Defense 1960sCold War projects (like ballistic missile submarines).

Small to medium businesses probably don't care about PMI but would be a plus.
They'll care more about the leadership skills you have, military leadership background will definitely be an advantage.

A buddy of mine who was a MP was involved in testing APC prototypes , resulting in picking the Bradley. He was assigned to a competitor's vehicle.
He used that 2 years of his military experience in the APC test program to get a job in project management in power plant construction.
Was a math teacher when got drafted, he was in Army 8 years.
He used to laugh that the only military technical skills he had were headspacing and timing a M2 .50 BMG.
Retired as a senior project manager running $200M construction projects.
As you know it's all about personal drive and commitment once you get the foot in the door.

Good luck!
MarathonAg12
Thank you for your service Igloo12.

I have a couple contacts in Aggieland, both on the Veteran Services front and Project Management front. I just ETSd for Reserve and Grad School (plan to go back active and do 20 like you). I did about 10 years as an Infantry Officer so much love for my 11 Bang Bangs. Shoot me an email!

morales.santiago89@gmail.com
Uncle Bug
AG
I believe Syracuse University was offering transitioning vets an opportunity to go through a PMP (Project Management Professional) class/certification for free. Your transition assistance team (or educational office) on base should be able steer you there. It is neither quick nor a cakewalk though.
Aggie1949
Uncle Bug said:

I believe Syracuse University was offering transitioning vets an opportunity to go through a PMP (Project Management Professional) class/certification for free. Your transition assistance team (or educational office) on base should be able steer you there. It is neither quick nor a cakewalk though.
I am utilizing my Credentialing Assistance through Cornell for Project Management now.
stoneyjr78
AG
If you google "college station tx project manager" several positions pop up. Spaw Glass has one of those. I always liked working with them in the past. It's been a while. The US Army is hiring as well. It looks promising. Good luck.
hut-ho78
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.