Son wants to be Cadet

7,611 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Quique
Quique
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My 17yr old is applying to A&M college of engineering this fall. Looks iffy if he'll get in (homeschooled and 1330 SAT). His character is solid. He wants to be in the Corps. From what I gather, wanting to be in the Corp doesn't help him get in. Does anyone else know? Thanks.

Enrique M Garca
D-2 '98
bigplay
You are correct. The window to apply to A&M opens on 1 Aug. Make sure your son completes his application early which will significantly increase his chances of being admitted. We will open registration for Spend the Night with the Corps soon if he wants to visit the Corps, Email me if you have questions. COL (Ret) Sam Hawes '81. Asst Commandant for Recruiting. shawes@corps.tamu.edu
Quique
AG
Thank you Colonel and thank you for your service. I will be reaching out as you've suggested. Been too long since I went through this and memory deceives me... plus I am certain some things have likely changed. All that said, I have always maintained I learned more from the Corps than from my engineering diploma.... and hope my son gets the same opportunity.

Enrique
bigplay
My pleasure. If you will also have him fill out this "Future Cadet Contact Form" it will get him our system as well as A&Ms recruiting/admissions system if he is not in there already. https://corps.tamu.edu/future-cadet-form/
HollywoodBQ
AG
COL Hawes is the right guy to speak with for sure.
For those of us olds who don't really understand how the admissions process works today, he can definitely help with that.

Having gone through the admissions process twice in the past decade with my two kids, let me offer some free advice.

#1 - Apply early. My Class of 2017 kid applied in September and got accepted within about two weeks. I was really surprised how fast it happened. Applying early also gives you enough time to make sure your application is complete. My Class of 2020 kid did not get into Texas A&M due to the fact that her High School Transcript was never received. And by the time I found out about it, it was really too late for anything to be done. Turns out what the High School had sent in was something garbled and illegible.

Part 2 of applying early, my Class of 2017 kid also applied to that orange school in Austin. She did wind up getting accepted into the Nursing Program at Texas but, they didn't send her an acceptance letter until maybe late February or early March. So by that point, she already had six months of being accepted to Texas A&M so she didn't even give t.u. a second look.

#2 - Make sure your kid's application is complete. This includes making sure that A&M has received the latest versions of test scores, etc. My Class of 2020 kid refused to listen to dad about prepping for the SAT and wound up taking it 3 times. First time was something in the mid 1200s because she didn't finish the test. Second time was something in the low 1300s because she finished the test but didn't do any preparation. 3rd time was in the mid 1400s because she finally listened to dad and studied.

Sounds great in theory but... what I found out was something to the effect of the third time you send your scores to a school, you have to pay $5 or something like that. Anyway, the long and the short of it is, Texas A&M never received her 1400+ SAT score. The only two schools who got that were Colorado and VMI which, not surprisingly, were the only two schools she got accepted to.

#3 - Take a look at some other schools. Don't have your son put all his eggs in the Texas A&M basket. If he's serious about serving in the military and wants to do a full time Corps of Cadets program. Have him take a look at schools like Virginia Tech, Virginia Military Institute and The Citadel. In addition to those schools, when my Class of 2020 kid did the Virginia Tech spend the night with the Corps, some of the other kids were looking at North Georgia and Norwich.

I was very happy when my oldest got accepted to A&M but, with only applying to two schools, she took a huge risk. On the other hand, my youngest applied to 7 schools and I was absolutely devastated when she didn't get into Texas A&M but, I will say that I have been absolutely thrilled with her decision to attend VMI. It was definitely the right program for her. So it all worked out in the end.

Virginia Tech is probably the most apples-apples comparison to Texas A&M with respect to your son majoring in Engineering. My youngest majored in Mechanical Engineering at VMI but they didn't have many other Engineering choices besides Civil Engineering whereas Texas A&M has many flavors of Engineering.

#4 - Be prepared for the questions from other Aggies, friends and family if your son does not attend Texas A&M. This was the most frustrating part. The number of family members, friends and other Aggies I know, who wanted to ask a million questions about why my youngest did not attend Texas A&M.

Folks who didn't go to A&M is one thing. You can usually just get away with telling them that admission to Texas A&M is very competitive these days and it's very difficult to get accepted. That is a true statement and that is good enough for the masses by and large.

But, all the Aggies you know who took 7 years to graduate and were part of the 2.0 & Go crew, those are the ones who have the least amount of understanding of the current admissions process. And that goes doubly if they don't have any children themselves, or if their children are still in Elementary School, etc., etc., etc.

Anyway, long winded rant but I thought you might appreciate some of the angles to consider.

You mentioned that your son is homeschooled so I don't know much about that. In our case, my kids did the International Baccalaureate (IB) program and applied to Texas A&M from overseas. That type of diploma is more accepted these days but it was still pretty new when my oldest applied.

Good Luck!
Quique
AG
Brother I really appreciate you taking th time to share your advice advice. Lots of wisdom and common sense there. Thank you on my behalf and my son's behalf. Amazing how much more competitive it is these days.
74OA
AG
Is it iffy him simply getting into A&M or iffy getting into the department of engineering?

If it's the department that rejects him, would he have a better chance subsequently reapplying to a less-demanding department and attempting to transfer over to engineering after a semester?
Quique
AG
From what I can gather (informal feedback as well as statistics available on TAMU websites) he can very likely get in, but dept of engr is more competitive and will be iffy. He will be studying and retaking SAT to get I to high 1400's to get a better shot. I don't know if transferring is an alternative approach or not... good question. We have been trying to set up a discussion with an admissions counselor to try to better understand.
St.LouisAggie
Howdy, current Zip & engineer here.

In terms of admission into engineering, it is not extremely difficult. What is difficult is getting into your major. All freshmen engineers are considered in "general engineering". At the end of their second semester they apply to their respective engineering major. This is called Entry To A Major (ETAM), and I suggest you look more into this to decide if they really want to go through this. 3.75 gpa is required for automatic admission into your preferred major.

In term of the Corps, hopefully he has some helpful upperclassmen, uses the resources provided, and is studious because certain engineering majors are impossible to get into without automatic admission. It has only gotten worse each subsequent year in terms of selectivity.

With respect to what another poster said about trying to transfer into the engineering department. Don't try this. It is extremely hard to transfer into the engineering departments. They are very selective and do not take that many internal transfers. It would be far easier to get admitted through ETAM.
DevilD77
AG
Check out A&M Galveston. A little easier to get accepted and if his fish year grades are good enough, he can transfer to the College Station campus as a sophomore (unless things have changed since I was helping with recruiting).
Martin87
AG
Best of Luck to your son.

My advice is to pay very close attention to the essays and make them unique. My youngest son is very bright but had decent HS grades, average ACT, and was out of state. He was basically wanted to ski and snowboard and that's about it. His part time job though was very interesting.....He wrote his essay on working for our local surgeon, being in the operating room, helping with operations - colonoscopies - and holding someone's guts for 45 minutes while doc cut on someone.....he was admitted early out of HS and joined the Corps. Now he is a USAF pilot. Go figure. His grades did not get him in....I guarantee they read his essays.

Might also see if he can graduate early....this is off cycle and could increase his acceptance odds. Not sure if this is true, but not as many kids apply for 1st admission for January vs August.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Make sure he is 6'6" 280lbs DE that runs a 4.6 40. Jimbo will make sure he gets in. All you have to meet is the NCAA SAT minimum of 820.

Quique
sek92
AG
He can be in the corps of cadets ( an aggie is the commandant) at Tarleton and be a PSA
HollywoodBQ
AG
I just about fell out of my chair when I saw who the Asst. Commandant is.

One of my classmates who first impressed me as an MSII by demonstrating how few words a person could include in a one page paper. If you give yourself 3" margins all the way around, you don't have to write very much. I only wish I would have thought of it first.

Out of curiosity, how long has the Corps at Tarleton been going and how many cadets do they have?

I know Tarleton had a Corps in the 1950s but when I used to drill with guys from Stephenville in the National Guard in the 1990s, I don't believe Tarleton had any Corps program.
sek92
AG
They brought the Corp back 4 years ago and this senior class will be the first to go through all 4 years. Sitting at almost 200. Have a few Aggie kids in it and going strong!
HollywoodBQ
AG
Cool. Thanks for sharing that.
Quique
AG
Just returned from College Station trip to familiarize my son with the campus and engage admissions advisors and professors. Also had an opportunity to take a tour through the quad... unbelievable how the Corps has been transformed and focused on leadership with less of the Corps games. I am more excited than ever about my children attending the Corps. Memories flooded back as I walked the quad. Of my entire senior class, hundreds started as engineers and only 3-4 of us graduated as engineers. Now a significant % of senior class is engineering. I am impressed.

On a separate note, my son was interested in the most physically demanding outfit... perhaps they are all the same but hoping a few are particularly proud of their PT...

Enrique '98
SpiderDude
AG
I feel that joining the corps probably helped me get in. My SAT and GPA were nothing spectacular. I even got in as an engineer and went on the graduate Chem-E (barely lol). That was 1996 though. It's a completely different game now. Best of luck!
SpiderDude
AG
E-1 was always known for having good athletes. I felt like the wing outfits took PT to an extreme but that was just my impression and can't say that for sure.
D Nauti
K2, likes the gym a little more than running.
chickencoupe16
AG
PermianAg said:

On a separate note, my son was interested in the most physically demanding outfit... perhaps they are all the same but hoping a few are particularly proud of their PT...

My experience is a little dated by now but H1 was always number 1 by a decent bit. K2 was up there at the top but undoubtedly behind H1.
Prexys Moon
AG
check your pm inbox.
Quique
AG
Quick update - kiddo studied his butt off and upped his score from 1330 to 1480. He had already submitted his application so now fingers crossed. App shows he was "assigned top quartile" (he is homeschooled) so now he'll update SAT and hope dept of Engineering lets him after all top 10's are in. I want to thank all of you that made suggestions - he followed every idea you posted above. Thank you for taking the time. I also spoke with a few of you that PMd me. Thank you. Hopefully my next update is a fist pump and confirmation of outfit he is headed to!
OldArmyCT
AG
This is a great thread, I went so long ago (fish year with c/o '70, 3.5 year break flying helicopters, back in the Corps as a married Day Duck and graduated in '73) that the only thing I know is things change. I have friends with kids at A&M and more than a few have kids in engineering but not necessarily the track they wanted. And for all you guys posting outfits, they change as well. My zip year K-2 was one of two Army Day Duck outfits, kind of hard to call Day Ducks red ass.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Definitely Recreation and Parks and Leisure Services. LOTS of athletes in there as well as few engineer dropouts.... Speaking from experience. BS in R&P and work for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (civilian) in Civil Works. Building sh8t and going to the lake every day for 35 years.... Go figure.
2026AgMom
Can anyone explain how to choose an outfit? My son applied for next Fall.
Dad and grandfather were in wing outfits, his brother is in the Navy and he's in Army JROTC, so he's not sure which way to go.
He wants to work in the medical field and applied bioengineering.
bigtruckguy3500
2026AgMom said:

Dad and grandfather were in wing outfits, his brother is in the Navy and he's in Army JROTC, so he's not sure which way to go.
I'm quite removed from my time in the corps, but I would say to spend the night with the corps (if they still do that). Though, chances are high he'll pick the outfit he spends the night with regardless if it's the best for his goals.

I think they got rid of technical/engineering outfits. They may still have a pre-professional outfit. Not sure.

But, he's going to want to pick a unit that has good grades. Doesn't have to be the one with the best grades, but just above average should be good enough if he's the studious type.

I've seen people come out of some of the poorest performing outfits and still make it into medical school or law school.

If he has no desire to go into the military, then probably not a big difference between army/navy/air force. Even if he did, we had people from different services in different outfits that didn't match.
stoneyjr78
AG
I agree this is a great thread. Things have certainly changed. Thank you to everyone providing information.
hut-ho78
chickencoupe16
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

2026AgMom said:

But, he's going to want to pick a unit that has good grades. Doesn't have to be the one with the best grades, but just above average should be good enough if he's the studious type.

Not only does it not have to be the best grades but he SHOULDN'T pick the outfit with the best grades. Those outfits (I was in one) are more hardcore professional organizations than they are Corps of Cadets outfits. I can't tell you how many times we studied instead of PTing.
Quique
AG
Quick Update: well my son's application status is still pending. His tank got upgraded to top ten (looks like they make exception for some homeschoolers based on SAT/GPA/etc). Now waiting for engineering review. He has a spend-the-night scheduled Monday of thanksgiving week with Cock Company... fingers crossed.

Anyone out there have a contact number with K-2 or H-1 cadet?

Thanks
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.