Texas A&M NROTC or USMMA

5,427 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 74OA
cjprime12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hello Everyone,

I have received an appointment to the Merchant Marine Academy and I am deciding between that and Texas A&M. I received an NRTOC Scholarship to Texas A&M and almost everything is paid for so money is not the deciding factor for me. At Texas A&M they have the Corps of Cadets so it's almost like a service academy experience, not your average NROTC school. However, the Merchant Marine academy seems appealing as well with Sea Year and the true service academy experience. This is a big decision for me so I would just like to hear any opinions if anyone has one. Thanks.
74OA
AG
Option #3: Texas Maritime Academy

Students at the Galveston campus of Texas A&M University will invariably tell you that the best thing about TAMUG is the small school environment classes are small and students know their professors and classmates. TAMUG is an ocean-oriented campus offering academic degrees, research, continuing education and public service in sciences, engineering, business, transportation and liberal arts. Because TAMUG is a branch campus of Texas A&M University in College Station, students receive their degrees, and the Aggie Ring, from Texas A&M University. Texas A&M University at Galveston also includes the Texas A&M Maritime Academy.

The Texas A&M Maritime Academy is a highly specialized maritime training and education program embedded within Texas A&M University at Galveston. It is one of seven maritime academies in the United States and the only one located on the Gulf of Mexico. The mission of the Texas A&M Maritime Academy is to provide the maritime industries of the State of Texas and the United States with highly trained and professional U.S. Coast Guard licensed Merchant Officers (deck/engine) to serve on ocean-going and inland waterways vessels. To meet this mission, the Texas A&M Maritime Academy includes a Corps of Cadets.
  • Cadets seeking the Texas A&M Maritime Academy U.S. Merchant Marine License Option (LO) may choose to major in Marine Transportation, Marine Engineering Technology, Marine Biology License Option, Marine Sciences License Option, and the Masters of Maritime Administration and Logistics.
  • Navy ROTC Cadets may choose any major offered at Texas A&M University at Galveston.
  • For those students who already have a Bachelor's degree, we also offer all graduate programs with the License Option.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Kings Point (Long Island), New York (suburb of New York City) vs College Station, Texas

Yankees vs Texans (men or women).

Drive merchants vs drive ships/build ships for U.S. Navy, retire and build more ships for the U.S. Navy (old Corps buddy is doing presently)

DIII football on a smaller football field than most 2 As play on vs SEC Football at Kyle Field.

Long Island = No bbq at all.... or Whataburger or Blue Bell or Tex Mex.

Long Island = Cold Nasty winters. BCS = two weeks of winter.

Being a USMMA ? vs Being a Texas Aggie.....

I will let others compare the scholastic aspects....

HollywoodBQ
AG
Obviously the decision is one that only you can make but here is some food for thought.

If you go to the Merchant Marine Academy, they are invested in you graduating. If you stay the course, don't quit, don't get in legal trouble, etc., you will graduate.

If you go to Texas A&M, the Corps of Cadets is only a subset of the University and Texas A&M University doesn't give a damn about you graduating. To that point, if you cannot keep your grades up at Texas A&M University, there is a high probability that you will lose your Navy Scholarship and maybe never graduate, or graduate with a substantially lower degree than what you were aiming for.

The Corps of Cadets has figured out that grades are important and I think they do have a lot of resources available these days to help students study. But the point remains that the majority of the students you will be competing against will not have the extra activities associated with being in the Corps os Cadets.

Texas A&M is in College Station while the Merchant Marine Academy is in Queens / Long Island, NY. Climate/Weather/People are all going to be different and of course if you're from Texas, you'll be able to visit home and have family visit much more frequently in College Station, than if you're in New York.

Great choice either way. Congratultions!
Post removed:
by user
cavscout96
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

Obviously the decision is one that only you can make but here is some food for thought.

If you go to the Merchant Marine Academy, they are invested in you graduating. If you stay the course, don't quit, don't get in legal trouble, etc., you will graduate.

If you go to Texas A&M, the Corps of Cadets is only a subset of the University and Texas A&M University doesn't give a damn about you graduating. To that point, if you cannot keep your grades up at Texas A&M University, there is a high probability that you will lose your Navy Scholarship and maybe never graduate, or graduate with a substantially lower degree than what you were aiming for.

The Corps of Cadets has figured out that grades are important and I think they do have a lot of resources available these days to help students study. But the point remains that the majority of the students you will be competing against will not have the extra activities associated with being in the Corps os Cadets.

Texas A&M is in College Station while the Merchant Marine Academy is in Queens / Long Island, NY. Climate/Weather/People are all going to be different and of course if you're from Texas, you'll be able to visit home and have family visit much more frequently in College Station, than if you're in New York.

Great choice either way. Congratultions!
False

The Corps of Cadets has a tremendous academic support program. and the cadets consistently have increasingly higher grades each year. They often out perform the rets of the student body. The 2.0 and go mentality is long gone.

from Dec '20:

Quote:

Congratulations to the Corps of Cadets for posting an overall Fall semester 2020 Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.2! Despite a very challenging semester due to COVID-19, our cadets overcame the challenges and excelled academically. 248 cadets posted a perfect 4.0 GPA. 1494 cadets posted a 3.0 or higher GPA. And the fish class of 2024 posted an overall GPA of 3.05 this semester! This marks the 10th consecutive semester that the Corps has posted an overall GPA above a 3.0, and is the highest Fall semester GPA ever recorded by the Corps of Cadets.

HollywoodBQ
AG
I think you missed my point (maybe I could have worded it better).

The University - i.e. Texas A&M - does NOT care whether you graduate or not. Not at all. Not one iota. The onus is on you, the student to figure out your degree plan, stay the course, etc.

I have a daughter who is a 2017 A&M grad (non-reg) but, let me tell you, if her father (me) hadn't gone medieval on her degree plan, she would have taken at least another year to graduate. Her department was almost zero help with degree planning and making sure she took the right courses in the right sequence.

And not just in the upper level, but all the way back to her New Student Conference where she had to make decisions about how much incoming credit to take and which courses she should take for credit at A&M.

The one that really chaps my hide is the extra summer session she had to take for a 1 hour PE class because she took it during the regular semester for a grade instead of Pass/Fail. Arrgh. Seems like somebody in her department could have reconciled that discrepancy. If you got an "A", that's a Pass, right?

On the other hand, if you are in a full scholarship situation at a Service Academy type of thing, they probably care less about you as a person but, they do care if you graduate. And they certainly have fewer majors that you can tumble down the hill to and still graduate. Can't hack it in Mechanical Engineering, try Civil, can't do that - hey, switch to History, you're still going to graduate and wind up in exactly the same place - 2LT / Ensign.

I fully recognise that the Texas A&M Corps of Cadets has done amazing things with grades. Under the covers I suspect there are some significant changes between what gets counted today versus in the old days. My guess is that there are probably a lot more fish placing out of CHEM 101 or taking it at a JuCo instead of starting off their academic career with a 3 hour F.

I do like thirdcoast.. idea about TAMUG. I spent one summer working construction down there and it looked really nice. Having lots of friends and family in Galveston County, TAMUG was always the backdoor method to get up to College Station if you couldn't get there directly.
cavscout96
AG
I'll buy that, but your post stated that the Corps was the only subset that didn't care if you graduated.

I think it might be the one that cares the most especially for the contracted cadets.

Uncle Sam has a vested (literally) interest in them getting done.
cavscout96
AG
I re-read your post again. I see what you were saying, but missed the comma....

Mea culpa
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
See Rabid Cougar ! Pay close attention to everything he posted !
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
HollywoodBQ
AG
cavscout96 said:

I re-read your post again. I see what you were saying, but missed the comma....

Mea culpa
I'll allow it.
Quote:

If you go to Texas A&M, the Corps of Cadets is only a subset of the University and Texas A&M University doesn't give a damn about you graduating.
There are many groups on campus who don't care if you graduate. The Corps of Cadets might be one of the only ones who does care.

As an example, every athletic team.

Case in point, I had an Electrical Engineering lab partner who was on the Tennis Team. He wasn't doing much Electrical Engineering while Tennis was in season.
CanyonAg77
AG
I will agree with Hollywood, that the Academies will work harder with you to keep you in school

They can only admit a set amount each year, so they are highly invested in your success. Even then their dropout rates are something like 25%.

But all the profs, all the staff, all the Deans, they are on your side. At A&M, it's possible to get staff and profs who don't like the Corps, and will do nothing, or actively work against you.

I'm glad the Corps itself is more invested in grades. In my day, it was more Darwinian. Can't make the grade? Okay, bye.
Post removed:
by user
CanyonAg77
AG
third coast.. said:

You will see that much less often at TAMUG
Forgive my ignorance, is everyone at TAMUG in their Corps? If so, that would explain a lot of it.
Post removed:
by user
74OA
AG
third coast.. said:

No. Idk the numbers now but maybe 10%. The thing is folks in the Corps there only have 2 or 3 degree plans, although I guess maybe some of those who are planning to move up to main campus don't really fall in to those degree plans. I THINK the strait ROTC folks might have a few that are studying something outside the Maritime Academy.
See my earlier post up top listing available degrees.
CT'97
AG
Do you want to commission into the US Navy or go the USNS/Merchant Marine route?
Texas A&M - 144 years of tradition, unimpeded by progress.
Post removed:
by user
74OA
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

third coast.. said:

You will see that much less often at TAMUG
Forgive my ignorance, is everyone at TAMUG in their Corps? If so, that would explain a lot of it.
No, just students in its Maritime Academy. See my link up top.
cjprime12
I'm planning on commissioning in the Navy.
74OA
AG
cjprime12 said:

I'm planning on commissioning in the Navy.
You can do that at A&M's Maritime Academy while also getting a degree which includes a merchant marine license, if you want. Gives you more options for later on if you decide the Navy isn't for you.
Post removed:
by user
AGhistorian
I would highly recommend the USMMA. I think overall it is really one of the best deals out there. So your goal right now is to commission into the Navy, which is great. However I have know a lot of people who get to college and figure out that either the military, or one particular service they have a scholarship for isn't really what they are interested in. If you decide that the Navy isn't for you while at TAMU then boom scholarship gone.

However if you decide that you want to pursue a civilian career and you are at the USMMA then you still get school paid for and can either do the SSP(basically a toned down version of the Navy Reserve), or you can even fulfill your obligation by commissioning into another service. Even if you commission into the National Guard or the Reserves they will accept that as well. Additionally you can actually go on active duty into any service from the USMMA, I've know Army officers who went there.

As much as I love TAMU, and think the education is outstanding there. In this specific case I think the USMMA has some significant advantages. However it all depends on what you want, and what you think you want to study. So really think hard about what major you are interested in, and make sure that it is something that will retain your interest even if you end up not going into the military (military service is almost never what people think it is).
HollywoodBQ
AG
Just wanted to reinforce my point about a Service Academy or in the OP's case - Merchant Marine Academy, being invested in you graduating.

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2021-04-16/51-west-points-cadets-caught-cheating-must-repeat-a-year

Quote:

West Point officials say most of the 73 West Point cadets accused in the biggest cheating scandal in decades at the U.S. Military Academy are being required to repeat a year and eight were expelled.
These students would have been booted from Texas A&M, drummed out of VMI, etc.

West Point can't afford to whack a significant percentage of their class.
Post removed:
by user
HollywoodBQ
AG
third coast.. said:

USMMA is a service academy.
They need better advertising or maybe a Football Team.

The only time I really heard about the Merchant Marine growing up was from Arthur Fonzarelli on Happy Days. And of course mentioned in American History class as related to World War II.

I only really knew about the Coast Guard Academy because it was featured in the 2005 movie - "Yours, Mine & Ours" starring Dennis Quaid.
Post removed:
by user
Rabid Cougar
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

Kings Point (Long Island), New York (suburb of New York City) vs College Station, Texas

Yankees vs Texans (men or women).

Drive merchants vs drive ships/build ships for U.S. Navy, retire and build more ships for the U.S. Navy (old Corps buddy is doing presently)

DIII football on a smaller football field than most 2 As play on vs SEC Football at Kyle Field.

Long Island = No bbq at all.... or Whataburger or Blue Bell or Tex Mex.

Long Island = Cold Nasty winters. BCS = two weeks of winter.

Being a USMMA ? vs Being a Texas Aggie.....

I will let others compare the scholastic aspects....

Addendum:

They don't drive pickup trucks in Kings Point.... I am not sure Dodges, Chevrolets and Fords they are even allowed.

NCAg11
As someone who attended both usmma and graduated from TAMU I'll give you my opinion. Pick TAMU. Hands down. Full stop.

I attended USMMA for a year before transferring to TAMU (college station) and joining the corps. I didn't fail out or get kicked out, I simply left because the school and the academics (outside of the sailing curriculum) were pretty sub par. Additionally, I saw no benefit in further attending a school that was heavily maritime focused when I was simply attending to gain a commission. If you're looking to commission into the Navy and money isn't a factor, I dont think that USMMA will give you any advantages that TAMU won't. In fact, I think the academic rigor, size of alumni network, and reputation of A&M will serve you better than USMMA. At least this has been my experience over the last ten years of active duty.

Many have mentioned the other benefits of choosing Tamu (football, climate, academic opportunities) and I'm here to tell you they are absolutely true. In my experience, leaving USMMA and transferring to TAMU was one of the best choices I have ever made. The relationships I built in the Corps, the academic opportunities I took advantage of, and the memories I made would have not been possible at USMMA due to the size of the university and student body.

I know this might sound like a recruiting pitch for A&M, but I feel like I am uniquely qualified to give it. Go to A&M and join the Corps. You'll be apart of a better run "military organization," have more academic opportunities and choices, and the freedom to enjoy your life when the Corps isn't in session / on the weekends. Once you get on active duty you'll have plenty of opportunities to travel the world. Sea year might sound enticing but the guys I kept up with over the years hated it by their second stint. Trust me, enjoy your college years now. Don't get stuck in kings point every weekend (when you have liberty) when you could be building lifelong bonds and experiences with your corps buddies.

In closing, don't be like me and turn down A&M for the prestige of "going to a service academy". Although I found my way back home, I missed out on opportunities I will never get back. No regrets just opinions.
Rock1982
AG
Outstanding input
NCAg11
Thanks Rock. I'm definitely not here to bash USMMA. I hope my post didn't come across that way. USMMA is a great school. It is the "best kept secret" of the service academies and has an outstanding sailing curriculum. However, if you discover, like me, that you weren't interested in one of the 6 available major courses of study you're kind of hosed if you stay too long. Anecdotally, we had 2 guys transfer to A&M college station and 2 guys transfer to TAMUG in my 18 person platoon. The attrition is high (for various reasons) and the morale is low. I vividly remember being denied liberty for 3 months during the winter and being stuck in my room or the classroom for weeks at a time. Nothing like that ever happened while I was in the corps.

Once I got to CSTAT it was like a breath of fresh air. Sure the corps was difficult at times and the academics were overwhelming at first, but I would implore the OP to really think about what he/she wants to do with their life and to not close any doors from an academic perspective. You can't go wrong with attending a well funded D1 research institution either. During my time at USMMA there were real fears that they were going to shut the place down. MARAD doesn't fund the institution like it should.

If I could do it all over again I would've bypassed ever attending USMMA and gone straight to A&M. I will credit USMMA for giving me the opportunity to grow up quickly and meet a diverse group of individuals. All things you'll get in the corps anyways. If the OP has any questions feel free to hit me up. I'd be glad to answer any questions you may have about my experiences. Good luck.
BBRex
AG
Either TMA or USMMA if you want a career at sea. Getting your license will be a definite leg up on everyone else if you choose to go SWO. TMA started a Navy ROTC unit at TAMUG because they wanted to get more officers with a license. I'm not sure how that has panned out, though.
74OA
AG
MORE
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.