Grandson being Assigned to 82nd Airborne

2,559 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by stoneyjr78
matureag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MOS is fire control with jump school in 4 weeks and permanent assignment to 82nd after completion. Anyone served with 82nd and can comment on (1) everyone in 82nd jump qualified? (2) if so, is there a jump pay incentive?(3) how often must one jump to remain in jump status. etc? Other comments on life in division and Ft. Bragg welcome.
Smeghead4761
Almost everyone in the 82nd will be on jump status. They try to keep the number of NAPs (Non-Airborne Personnel) to an absolute minimum.

Jump pay as of 2011 was $150 a month, and hadn't changed since I went to jump school as a cadet in 1994. Troopers have to make one jump every 90 days to remain current on their jump status, unless they get deployed. As long as they are current when they deploy, they stay on jump status for the duration of the deployment.

The vast majority of the jumps at Bragg are on Sicily DZ, which is the largest on post (and also the closest to the Division barracks areas; convenient, that.)

I can't comment too much on life in Division, since my time there was as an officer on the Division staff. Whole different life from enlisted in a line brigade.

But never marry a stripper, no matter how much she says she loves you!
Hey Nav
AG
Quote:

The vast majority of the jumps at Bragg are on Sicily DZ...
From left to right, Sicily, Normandy, Salerno, Holland. Then there's St Mere DZ, and a few others. Mackall is very close, also.

$150 jump, $225 for HALO qualification.

They do more before 9am than most people do all day

If he's Airborne, he'll start calling everyone else "LEG". (Unless the new and improved Army doesn't allow such terms.).

He will do 5 jumps at Benning, (most likely one night jump) and then get his jump wings. The quarterly jump requirement later on, have been waived for some right now, as I understand it, because of the pandemic. But... when this is all done, he should jump often to maintain proficiency.

(Edit because I'm can't spell.)

As the previous poster mentioned, there's the "stripper" reference.

Is he commissioned or enlisted? Standard of living is very different between a new 2Lt and an E-3. When i lived in the area a long time ago, some of the younger single guys wore t shirts underneath their flight suits that said "Fayetteville NC - where fat chicks can be choosey". That's the reference to Hay St and the locals (from all the way back to WW2) and what I understand is a much improved area. I knew plenty of young men that went up to the college environment in Raleigh / Durham / Chapel Hill to date. I think the 82nd still has at least 50,000 + troops and 10,000 + civilians working in the area.

I will say this:

(The Army guys will need to chime in, as living next door at Pope AFB wasn't a great thing.) I did stay deployed more often than not, but it was very difficult on the families.

82nd was first rate. Loved serving with them The Generals jumped first, from the first aircraft in the formation, , leading from the front. That was my experience with them.

Special Forces - same.

Going down to Georgia and working with Rangers - even more so.

Delta - hmm. Different sort of experience.
MarathonAg12
I was stationed at Bragg Fort Civil Affairs.

Best duty station I've been at. You can feel the upbeat and fast tempo all over post. It will keep you young.

I lived in Pinehurst and that city is amazing!
Naveronski
AG
As mentioned toward the end, his opportunities for advancement away from conventional units should be something to work toward.

@hey nav, I'd be interested to hear your take on folks from the unit. PM or email is fine.
45-70Ag
AG
I was in the 82nd and don't have anything to add that's different than some of the posters already said.

It's a phenomenal place to be and i really enjoyed it. Much more so than drum which is where i went after Bragg.
RebelAG
AG
I was assigned to the 82d as a CPT in 78-80, ,and agree with everything Hay Nav said. Most of the Army was falling apart after Vietnam,but the 82d was still first class. I bought my first house in Fayetteville, and got double that amount when I sold it 2 yrs later.
Fly Army 97
Bragg is a different animal than the rest of the Army, but in most ways the same. Not everyone in the 82nd jumps. That stopped about '08. Mostly the infantry brigades (which include artillery), division headquarters, and many others, but a few brigades do not have 100% (or anything near) jump status. That said, the 82nd has a unique camaraderie mainly because of their readiness mission and volunteer aspect of joining the organization. Volunteered for the Army, to jump, and be in the 82nd. For a 18-25 year old, it's a great place to learn about the Army and then venture out.

I used to work with for the current Division Commander. He is a great leader that I'd work for any day. Hope your son gets to meet him. https://twitter.com/CDonahue1792

The location is awesome if one actually takes advantage of what's around. Raleigh, live music, festivals, pro hockey, night life, etc. Wilmington, Boone/Asheville, hiking, pig BBQ, and generally good people in NC.

Fayetteville is not what it used to be up to the late 90s. Take caution of anyone who references Bragg from pre-2000. Nav mentioned Hay ST, and he's right ...it was basically gutted of all the clubs. Turned into a boutique shop, brewery, restaurant, and independent theater kinda place. I really liked living near there and walking over for a street festival or dinner.

When he gets there, tell him if he gets out of FAY and Bragg, he will get the most out of the area. Also, when he gets board, use his benefits (not GI BIll) and get some flying lessons at Fayetteville Airport.
Smeghead4761
I think the brigades you mention as having large portions not on jump status - MPs, signal, ADA, engineers, etc - actually belong the XVIII Corps, not the 82nd.

I know for a fact that the 18th MP Bde had only one MP company plus the Bde HQ on jump status. But they're part of Corps, not Division.

82nd is the 3 BCTs, plus Division HQ Bn. They're almost all on jump status.
Fly Army 97
I agree with you, but to clarify and not confuse the OP, I didn't mention the BDEs that do not jump. There is also a sustainment BDE and aviation BDE. I would assume grandson would end up in a BCT and jump.
stoneyjr78
AG
1979-1983 the 82nd was mostly on jump status. The separate corps brigades (artillery, engineer, signal, MP, etc) and COSCOM were partially on jump status. The 82nd had their own artillery, engineers, signal, DISCOM, etc. that were all on jump status. As mentioned before, it was one jump in 90 days to stay eligible for jump pay which way back then was $100 and was called hazardous duty pay. There is a lot of running so good running shoes are recommended. In the 82nd, 1 brigade was on standby, 1 was on support, and 1 was on rest. Different units had different tones to go. I was in a separate brigade so we had 3 days. Portions of the 82nd had 24 hours. A bags were always packed and ready to go. There are lots of practice alerts. There is a lot of field duty. There are big exercise sometimes flying into Florida or California for the jump status units to practice loading and pushing equipment out. He will answer every question with "airborne!" and "all the way!" It's a great location. The mountains were 3 hours to the west and the beaches were 2 hours to the east. Don't know what the drive is now. DC is close and the Smithsonian is great. There are lots of historical areas to visit. Fayetteville can be rough and some stores prey on the soldiers. It was called Fayettenam back then. I took my old horse, kept her off post, and joined the Cape Feat Valley Trail Riders. There were a lot of on post chapels and there was a Baptist Church that had a radio service that I used to visit. My family would visit and then I could take them to a drop zone to watch a jump. It was a great experience. There were some incredible leaders.
hut-ho78
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.