Wanting to get a sports car about a year before I go overseas to Rota, Spain

1,906 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bigtruckguy3500
Abatt16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cross posted in AUTO

Hi, all

I'm a non-resident military member living in San Diego, California. My home of residence is in College Station, Texas. I've been looking at a Jag F-Type R for about the past 7-8 months. I have narrowed my search down to two different cars. One priced at 59,998 with 24000 miles (in San Diego near me) and one priced at 52,998 with 55000 miles (in Florida). I have $35,000 set aside for a down payment for when and if I decide to go through with a purchase.

I do have a couple questions though and hopefully this reaches the ears and eyes of members on here that have spent time with a sports car overseas.

I want to purchase the car here but title and register it in Texas. Can I purchase the vehicle here but register it in Texas? Is there an easy way to do that for AD military?

I'll be going to Rota, Spain in about a year. I know the Navy will pay to ship one car there. Are warranties covered overseas the same they are in the states? I can't imagine it's much different over there given that the car still has a manufacture's warranty, but I could be mistaken. Should I purchase the ar in Spain vs here in the States? The military will ship an AMERICAN SPEC car back to the states, but I'm not sure how hard (if it is hard at all to find an american spec Jag F-Type in Spain).

Does anybody have any experience getting a car like that repaired overseas? I checked and saw there is a certified Jaguar/Land Rover dealership about 30 minutes outside of my duty station location.

Noblemen fight to the end. Victory or Death.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Might have to fight the dealer on TTL to get them not to do it, some can be weird but you should be able to title it in Texas.

There's enough guys that have been stationed in Japan driving right hand drive skylines I imagine the American spec isn't a hard and fast rule.

If you're class of 16, buying a used 50K jag is one of the most O-2/junior O-3 things I've heard.
Abatt16
AG
I purposefully skipped on the ensign-mobile. I didn't want to join the corvette/challenger/charger club as a newbie. Figured I should give it a few years
CharlieBrown17
AG
You must have missed the memo, 4Runners are en Vogue now. At least in flying squadrons
Abatt16
AG
At my squadron it seems that the Subaru WRXs are "en vogue". I am able to count at least 4 in our parking lot! Seems to be a very popular little car.
Mayor West
AG
Yes, you can register it in Texas. I've done it several times.

[url] https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/for-our-troops[/url]
74OA
AG
Having you considered buying something sexy when you get to Rota instead?

OVERSEAS
CharlieBrown17
AG
I'd say 1/6 in my squadron have a 4Runner. Probably 1/4 if you throw tacos in there as well
Wildman15
AG
I can do all of it for you for tree fiddy
Smeghead4761
I grew up in the People's Republic of Kalifornia, so I'll drop in one thing to be aware of: Kalifornia is straight up rapacious when it comes to vehicle registration costs. Registration fees are based on vehicle value, so the cost for a $60k car would be quite a lot. (For example, I had to pay over $300 for the last registration on my 1987 VW Rabbit back in 1996.)

I know you plan on getting the title and registration in TX, but the CA DMV will probably want the money to transfer ownership. Because if they hate the thought of $$$ moving out of state, they REALLY have the thought of it going to TX.

And yes, I did the O-2 thing and bought myself a brand new, 1998 Audi A4 when I was stationed in Germany on my first tour. And traded it in for a Honda Pilot 10 years later when I was married with kids.
bigtruckguy3500
ABatt, what's your squadron? Do you fly 60's? I'm about 45 minutes North of San Diego, see 60's coming into Pendleton all the time. I've never been in one. If it's legal with your NATOPs/DOSS folks, I'd be interesting in hopping in one for a quick ride. I'm trying to get flights in as many platforms as possible while I'm still on DIFOPS orders.

Also, if you know anyone in a SAR squadron that wants to do CASEVAC/MEDEVAC training exercises up at CPEN, let me know.
Abatt16
AG
I'm in the HSM-41 FRS. I'll be a romeo guy! I'm fairly new to the squadron but I'll ask around see if I can find any luck/if it's even possible. Hard chance it would be one of our aircraft solely because of the training schedule we have.
bigtruckguy3500
Cool. Yeah let me know. Appreciate you looking into it.
MarathonAg12
Mustang V6 with 18%
MarathonAg12
I ended getting accepted to the MSW Program at UH. #2 in the state, just behind tu.

I wanted to thank you for reaching out and putting me in contact with your friend last year. I appreciate the help. Looking forward to starting the program and making a difference in the lives of Soldiers and families.

Thanks again.
bigtruckguy3500
MarathonAg12 said:

I ended getting accepted to the MSW Program at UH. #2 in the state, just behind tu.

I wanted to thank you for reaching out and putting me in contact with your friend last year. I appreciate the help. Looking forward to starting the program and making a difference in the lives of Soldiers and families.

Thanks again.
Congrats. Glad to have been able to help.

Are you thinking you'll switch to medical service corps? Or serve as a GS type employee?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.