Looking for Aggie Band Drum Cadence sheet music

7,377 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by bqce
LGBFJB
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm a former Aggie Band drummer myself and my 11 year old is drumming at school. He's heard me play through the 6 lines of the cadence many times and he's trying he's best to learn it from ear.

Are there any current or former drummers that could post or send me a copy of the actual sheet music for it?

Much appreciated!
HollywoodBQ
AG
Drummers can read music?

Seriously though, call up Jay Brewer. He should be able to fix you up.
LGBFJB
AG
No offense taken. Admittedly I cannot read music...a few beats is about al I can do.

Good call on reaching out to Brewer. Will do.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

Drummers can read ?
ABATTBQ87
AG
Franklins said:

I'm a former Aggie Band drummer myself and my 11 year old is drumming at school. He's heard me play through the 6 lines of the cadence many times and he's trying he's best to learn it from ear.

Are there any current or former drummers that could post or send me a copy of the actual sheet music for it?

Much appreciated!
isn't it just da da dum da da dum da da dum dum dum?
aggiejim70
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

Franklins said:

Much appreciated!
No, that's where the Lone Ranger takes his garbage,

This old drummer's instructions from a senior his fish year. on the cross through.

Hit the gd blower in the nuts with your drum and the sob will get out of the way.

BK '67
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
LGBFJB
AG
Bass Drum was the most fun year for the cross thru....people's eyes bugging out of their heads while they ran and ducked to get out of the way! Always made me laugh because you never saw the same two people so every run thru was some new sucker going "OH SH*T"

Good times and I may have been guilty of a few payback shots myself on accident of course

mortal
AG
(had to create an account and reply - not often bass drum in the FTAB comes up in the conversation.)

As the last person to carry the bass drum for four years, I can say I never hit someone with the drum. During my fish year, I knew my right guide (aggiejim70) was going to yell at me, no matter the fault. After that, I was conifdent. All four years, I told those "wide-eyed" guys to do their job, and there would be no problem. But I don't recall very many of them playing - I think they were all holding their breath.

Besides, the intimidation was much more effective than an assault.

So I never hit anyone with the drum. Now, it was a whole other thing about beating on drum majors with drumsticks...
AgBQ-00
AG
I have to admit. I learned all of the songs we played by ear. If a new song was introduced I found an Aggie Band CD that had that song and listened to it non stop for a while. And this is from someone who was not half bad a t reading music at one time in my life.

Oh and one of the worst smokings I ever had was because the bass drummer missed his countermarch point and raised up into my drum that I was holding up to clear him. But of course it was fish AgBQ-00 that was at fault.
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
LGBFJB
AG
Good stuff mortal. Thanks for posting. Only Juniors played the Bass Drum in my years. Funny to be reminded how things used to be
LGBFJB
AG
Was that Clay, Nathan, or Chad?
AgBQ-00
AG
Nathan.

Looking back on it i still laugh about it. Chris Caldwell even told me that Nathan knew he messed up. But said it would be good for me to get smoked.
mortal
AG
Here's a few more odds-n-ends for you, Franklins...

The new director Joe Haney was the one who changed the bass drum assignment in the 1973-74 year, making playing the bass drum an honor position for juniors, a position that needed to be earned.

I don't recall any drummer in my era ever seeing the cadence written down. We all learned it by rote (just a little more pressure on the fish in the drum room!). The original copy however, now hangs in the drum room. It was written by Jon King '64, while a member of the Band.

Being in the Southwest Conference, the football schedule was set in stone. t.u. was always last on Thanksgiving, and Rice was always the game before. Under Col. Adams, we always did a 4-way cross for t.u., home or away. But, we also did some version of a two-way cross for the Rice drill as "a warmup."
LGBFJB
AG
You and I know each other very well. Whoever you are.
AgBQ-00
AG
Was in ACo. Was drum captain my senior year. Jason was my old lady when I came back from VMI
LGBFJB
AG
Yep... How's life treating you?
AgBQ-00
AG
Doing great! How about you?

ETA: Were we stopped summer before our Zip year for Benjamin Knox to take a picture of us in front of the Hollingsworth statue?

ETA 2: Result of said photo in a Knox painting.

LGBFJB
AG
Yessir. I have that hanging in my office too.

Life is good. Glad you are well.
Martin Cash
AG
Mustered with General Hollingsworth in Germany in 1976.
LGBFJB
AG
Martin Cash said:

Mustered with General Hollingsworth in Germany in 1976.

Very cool. Danger 79er was a true hero...and thank you for your service too (I am assuming).
Mikeual Perritt
I was a percussionist in the FTAB, and have copies of the cadence we used in the late 60s and the current cadence. Send my your email address and I will send you the cadences as an attachment.
Mikeual Perritt '69
M@AtelierM.com
703-627-2292 [please leave a message if no answer]
aggiejim70
AG
This man gave me a lot of advice and guidance and was very involved in helping me adjust to life as a fish in the Corps of Cadets and the Fightin' Texas Aggie Band, he was a pretty fair drummer as well. One thing I never understood, he didn't like where the floor in the drum room was, he and the other pissheads were always making me and my fish drummer buddies push it somewhere else.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
LGBFJB
AG
Sent. Thank you very much!
aggiejim70
AG
Mike, I'll concede the point that todays drummers can get in enough trouble without re-cycling pull outs from 50 years ago, ( the devil is making me do this) but do you still have the 3/4 cadence? Haven't heard much about that since our time in the FTAB.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
mortal
AG
Ah yes, aggiejim. Drum & Bugle Corps at formation on April 1st was a great tradition. The 3/4 cadence. Playing waltzes. And my favorite, the theme from the original "Mission Impossible" (5/4 tempo)..

Does this still go on?
JABQ04
AG
Can't be that hard. I played clarinet and I think I know the drum cadence better than crap I played. All you could hear were drums and trumpets anyways.
CanyonAg77
AG
mortal said:

Ah yes, aggiejim. Drum & Bugle Corps at formation on April 1st was a great tradition. The 3/4 cadence. Playing waltzes. And my favorite, the theme from the original "Mission Impossible" (5/4 tempo)..

Does this still go on?

No Beat and Blow anymore.

We played the theme from Viva Max! my fish year fish day march in to chow.

TX_COWDOC
AG
JABQ04 said:

Can't be that hard. I played clarinet and I think I know the drum cadence better than crap I played. All you could hear were drums and trumpets anyways.

Reed Sucker!
www.southpawprecision.com
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
Nightforce Optics Dealer
AGM Night Vision Dealer
TX_COWDOC
AG
Mikeual Perritt said:

I was a percussionist in the FTAB, and have copies of the cadence we used in the late 60s and the current cadence. Send my your email address and I will send you the cadences as an attachment.
Mikeual Perritt '69
M@AtelierM.com
703-627-2292 [please leave a message if no answer]

Sent you an email. Would like to get a copy. Thank you.
www.southpawprecision.com
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
Nightforce Optics Dealer
AGM Night Vision Dealer
Larry S Ross
AG
I saw on the internet the story of writing that drum cadence. It references Jon King '63 or 4 I believe. Any one know if he is still kicking? I worked in construction in the mid 70s w a man w that name. Aggie and I'm pretty sure said he was in the band. This was in the Houston area.
Good Day.
ABattJudd
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

Franklins said:

Much appreciated!
You forgot the "diggy"
"Well, if you can’t have a great season, at least ruin somebody else’s." - Olin Buchanan
jjking
Larry S Ross said:

I saw on the internet the story of writing that drum cadence. It references Jon King '63 or 4 I believe. Any one know if he is still kicking? I worked in construction in the mid 70s w a man w that name. Aggie and I'm pretty sure said he was in the band. This was in the Houston area.
He's my Dad and yes still kicking. We lived in The Woodlands area growing up during 70's and 80's And yes he's still in construction. Behind a desk of course.
Velvet Jones
AG
Quote:

No Beat and Blow anymore.
Wait. What?

aggiejim70
AG
Slang name for The Drum and Bugle Corps. In my time in the FTAB all fish and pisshead drummers had to participate, and you received the Black and Blue ribbon.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Velvet Jones
AG
aggiejim70 said:

Slang name for The Drum and Bugle Corps. In my time in the FTAB all fish and pisshead drummers had to participate, and you received the Black and Blue ribbon.

Yes Sir I'm aware (B-Co BQ drummer). Does B&B no longer exist?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.