Fort Stewart, GA.

2,324 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by strbrst777
Aggie118
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy Ags!

I'll be commissioning tomorrow as an Army FA 2LT, and just found out I'll be assigned to Fort Stewart, GA as my first duty assignment.

Any info or pointers about Fort Stewart or FA in general are much appreciated!

Thanks and Gig'em!
UTExan
They aren't sending FA 2LTs to Ft Sill for their OBC anymore?
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Aggie118
AG
No, they are. I'll be headed to Fort Sill first for BOLC and then to Stewart.
ArmyAg2002
AG
I left Hunter after 5 years in 2016. Stewart is OK, but the location is great. The beach isnt far. Savannah is great. It's a couple of hours to Charelston or Jacksonville. Orlando is 4 hours. If you like history the area is incredible. If you choose not to live on post, you may want to look in Richmond Hill as opposed to Hinesville. We had neighbors in Pooler that were stationed at Stewart. Everything, but aviation is on Stewart and the ranges are pretty good. Savannah is very military friendly. My family enjoyed our time there. My wife's biggest complaint was the lack of family ammenities at Hunter because everything is at Stewart.
Trench55
AG
Congratulations on your commissioning, and selecting/being assigned to Field Artillery. I would love to give you some free advice (which would be worth just about what you pay for it), but my FA experience is over 50 years out of date (1966 - 1970). However, I do wish you the best of luck.
Diyala Nick
AG
Rock of the Marne!

That's all I got.

2-69/3rd BCT/3 ID (2004-2006)...we were really good at putting bad guys in the dirt. Keep that going.
cavscout96
AG
Stewart, like most postings, is what you make of it.

Hinesville is like most military towns. Savannah is phenomenal if you are into history, architecture, food, etc.

Lots of all of that within 4 hours of post in every direction. Atlanta, Charleston, JAX, St. Augustine, Daytona, Orlando.

3ID itself has a storied history. Make sure you go see Audie Murphy's wounded carbine at the post museum.

Get out. Go see the area. Try to make an A&M vs. SC game in Columbia if your training / deployment schedule works. SEC road games are pretty cool if you haven't made any. The low country is a pretty cool part of the southeast and the folks are great. We made several lifelong friends in our two postings at FSGA.

and... watch your speed on the back country GA roads. GSP doesn't mess around.

Aggie12B
AG
Rock Of The Marne! Congratulations on your commission.

Ft Stewart was my 1st duty assignment. Bco, 11th EN BN, !st BCT (June1999-Jan 2004). I really enjoyed my time at Stewart. Only real complaint was when the sand gnats made their annual appearance. I agree with the recommendation of living in Richmond Hills instead of Hinesville, if you don't live on post. Savannah is really nice; so are Tybee and Jeckyl Islands.
Fly Army 97
If you can't find a way to enjoy Stewart, you will be unhappy everywhere. Beaches, Southern food, history, PLENTY of day trips, etc. There is a pretty decent St Patty's Day vibe there if you are into that. I've trained there a few times and have always tried to get stationed there. No luck so far.

ArmyAg2002
AG
cavscout96 said:

3ID itself has a storied history. Make sure you go see Audie Murphy's wounded carbine at the post museum.

When I was down there in April of 2019 the museum was closed indefinitely. I believe there had been a renovation plan that was lost in budget cuts.
clarythedrill
Learn the Dog Faced Soldier song, you will sing it every morning prior to PT.
Aggie12B
AG
clarythedrill said:

Learn the Dog Faced Soldier song, you will sing it every morning prior to PT.

Singing that song everyday, definitely keeps it in your memory.

I wouldn't give a bean, to be a fancy-pants Marine.
I'd rather be a Dog-faced Soldier like I am
I wouldn't trade my old ODs for all the Navy's dungarees
For I'm the walking pride of Uncle Sam

On Army posters that I read, it says be all that you can
So they're tearing me down to build me over again.
I'm just a dog faced Soldier, with a rifle on my shoulder
I eat raw meat for breakfast every day

So feed me ammunition
Keep me in the 3rd division
Your dog faced Soldier is A okay

The last time I sung that song at Ft. Stewart, was back in January, 2004.
cavscout96
AG
ArmyAg2002 said:

cavscout96 said:

When I was down there in April of 2019 the museum was closed indefinitely. I believe there had been a renovation plan that was lost in budget cuts.
Aggie118
AG
Howdy! And thanks for yalls info, I'm really looking forward to being at Stewart. I visited Savannah once when I was a kid and remember it being pretty neat.

Does anyone know much about 3 ID in terms of deployment cycles or anything like that? Thanks!
Article 58-10 Offender
Quote:

Savannah is phenomenal if you are into history, architecture, food, etc.
and drinking....

Savannah is one of my favorite cities in America. I was stationed at Parris Island in SC, just on the other side of Savannah, and we had a ton of fun in that city. it's like the fun parts of NOLA and the deep south feel of Charleston mixed together. such a great town.
Fly Army 97
Aggie118 said:

Howdy! And thanks for yalls info, I'm really looking forward to being at Stewart. I visited Savannah once when I was a kid and remember it being pretty neat.

Does anyone know much about 3 ID in terms of deployment cycles or anything like that? Thanks!

Nobody is going to speak to specifics here - but you can count on a CTC rotation.. forces all over (whether ABCT IBCT CAB) are rotating to Korea, AFG, Europe, and INDOPACOM in large numbers. Smaller numbers all over the place. Everyone is busy - when you get your pin point reach out (they will teach you this at BOLC) and ask for the long range training plan, but also ask for the division exercise plan because it will influence your organization somehow - support to DIV Warfighter exercise, AV or FA task force/slice to a BCT CTC rotation.
JABQ04
AG
No one has mentioned this but my opinion is that FA officers get their hands into a lot of things. And by that I mean, you could be a PL of a cannon battery, a fire direction officer, an FSO for a maneuver unit, or in rocket artillery. From a former 13B SSG, learn the GLPS and aiming circle well, don't be that LT. Learn how to be a great FDO. The guns will always blame FDC/FDO so if your on your game you A) won't get the blame, and B) you'll stand out in a good way. I'm biased towards cannon artillery so that's where I think you'll have the most fun. I don't know how 3ID is organized, but if they still have an infantry brigade combat team I would recommend that, I enjoyed M119 over Paladins, but M777 was my baby. Good luck. Learn all you can.
Aggie12B
AG
Aggie118 said:

You will do your fair share of deploying somewhere while you are at Stewart. 3ID deploys a lot, but they are damned good at it
Aggie12B
AG
Hey, I'm not sure what your family situation is or isn't, but if you do have a family that will be goong to Stewart with you, there are a lot of family friendly things at and around Stewart. My wife wanted me to tell you that, because anything that makes it easier for the family makes it easier for the Soldiers. This is especially important when you are deployed or out in the field for extended periods of time.
Beetle 92
AG
ROTM

Loved my time at Camp Swampy.
2004-2007. 3d / 385th MP Bn.

Got to know quite a few Redlegs during my time there, mostly from dealing with their chuckleheads.

Loved Savannah. Great hunting and fishing on post.

As for the OPTEMPO, it's called the Marne Express for a reason.

Enjoy it dogface.
Diyala Nick
AG
I'm not sure that being an FSO in a high speed armor or infantry company is not one of the better and more underrated jobs in the Army. Combine that with being an FA platoon leader and an XO, and you could have an awesome time as company grade officer (before company command).
strbrst777
Congratulations on your commission and on becoming a Field Artillery officer. When over half a century ago I attended the Field Artillery Officer Orientation Course (FAOOC), as Officer Basic was then known, one of the instructors at Fort Sill said, "Field Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl." It stuck!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.