Navy CV-22

1,826 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by GAC06
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Local guy got this shot of the 2nd Navy Osprey. Cool photo, but what the heck is that on top? I'm talking about the cable-looking thing that goes down the top back of the fuselage, then wraps down the side.

https://www.facebook.com/Rodney-Bastow-Photography-107805087222857
JABQ04
AG
They forgot to unplug it when they took off?

(Shows self to door).
74OA
AG
The CMV-22's mods include long-range comms. Perhaps that's the associated antenna array?

MORE
CanyonAg77
AG
That's been suggested from the photographer's web site. Good guess.
Naveronski
AG
I'll ask.

Brb
AgBQ-00
AG
Could it be anything t do with static electricity grounding? wild arsed guess on my part
Rabid Cougar
AG

Not my photo but I actually saw this aircraft in Iraq in 2008. Notice it doesn't have the cabling.
CanyonAg77
AG
Google tells me that's VMM-162, a Marine tiltrotor squdron out of North Carolina. I think the above guess might be closest, some sort of HF antennae that requires a long wire.

This, as indicated above, is one of the V-22s going to take over COD duties. So long-range coms are needed.

Saw one fly over today, may be the same a/c as in the OP
Rabid Cougar
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Google tells me that's VMM-162, a Marine tiltrotor squdron out of North Carolina. I think the above guess might be closest, some sort of HF antennae that requires a long wire.

This, as indicated above, is one of the V-22s going to take over COD duties. So long-range coms are needed.

Saw one fly over today, may be the same a/c as in the OP
I have personal video and other photos but not able to post on here. We only saw them when VIPs came to visit. Large unit movement was always by CH-47's in the middle of the night. Always an interesting night when your GP medium was close by.

Camp Bucca 07-08
GAC06
AG
HF antennae
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.