Enlisting Vs Officer Route

3,177 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by REMARCH11
Ag12texas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy y'all!

I am a graduate of TAMU and looking to see if I could receive insight and experiences from the enlisted and officer sides. I am open to both routes and just wanted to weigh the pros/cons of each.

Thank you very much!
Fly Army 97
You will get a mixed bag of responses here, some biased, some objective. You've got all ranks represented here from E-grade, O-grade, and Warrant Officer, parents too....all of which are of great value to our nation. I would recommend telling everyone (to the extent you are comfortable on the web) a little bit about your goals, interests, or motivating factors regarding onboarding.

If you want to know about flying helicopters either as an Officer or Warrant Officer, or you might be interested in crewing them as a crewchief (aka helicopter gunner outside the military)...there are plenty of us here.

Good luck.
45-70Ag
AG
I enlisted right after graduation, went to the ITB at Benning and my DS recommended me for OCS half way through.

My enlistment wasn't long before being commissioned but going in after college, my experience was you'll be older than most, more mature than most and mentally stronger than most.

Enlisting even for a brief time before being commissioned, if you can make it work isn't a bad idea. It provides a glimpse into the life of those you lead.

If you do enlist and go to Benning, enjoy the day your DS discovers you have a college degree when your pay stub is more than everyone else's. Fun times, but they'll respect you.

OCS was a combination of difficult and not too difficult. A total mixture of guys there ranging from high speed to can you pass the PT Test.
ArmyAg2002
AG
Im a Warrant, I enlisted with a conract for the Army WOFT program. I was 26 when I went to basic training and was no where near the oldest guy, we had one that was 40, many in theirate 20s or early 30s. To caviate this it was 2007 and the Army needed bodies and 1/3 or more of my basic training company was inbound to OCS oe WOCS after basic.

As with anything there are ups and downs. I enjoy my position as a Warrant. There are things that I regret missing out on, such as command, but I get to teach young guys how to be pilots and officers and I get to work with great people. I deal with BS, but not like enlisted folks do. Rank and position dont shield me from all stupidity, but they shield me from far more than what the enlisted deal with.
Naveronski
AG
As '97 said, what do you want to do?

I enlisted, and my time as a medic was incredibly fulfilling. It didn't pay as much as the O route, but it was worth it.
JABQ04
AG
You'll do more cool stuff as enlisted. I enjoyed blowing stuff up and shooting things and being immediately in charge of a squad doing these things. Officer world not sure much. But you'll make more money.

You will find it frustrating though being treated like a kid because other Soldiers/Enlisted are morons.
AggieEP
Im class of 07 and just hit 9 years enlisted Air Force here, life is good.

But as others have said, what do you want? Experiences vary wildly by branch and job not just officer vs. enlisted.

Personally, I'm asked at least 10 times a year if I want to put an officer packet in, and I always say hell no. I have a great job that no officer can do with skills very few Americans have.

My initial plan was to get these skills and bail back to the civilian world, but as this coronavirus thing is reminding me again, our benefits are killer.
AggieFlyboy
AG
I've been in the Air Force 22 years as a Pilot, ALO and Strategist. I've gotten to do a lot of exciting things. Your experience depends on what you want to do and what your goals are.
Texker
AG
AggieEP said:

Im class of 07 and just hit 9 years enlisted Air Force here, life is good.

But as others have said, what do you want? Experiences vary wildly by branch and job not just officer vs. enlisted.

Personally, I'm asked at least 10 times a year if I want to put an officer packet in, and I always say hell no. I have a great job that no officer can do with skills very few Americans have.

My initial plan was to get these skills and bail back to the civilian world, but as this coronavirus thing is reminding me again, our benefits are killer.
Pretty much my son's experience but in the Navy Submarine Fleet. We have paid a price in that we only see him and his family for a week or so every 18-24 months but he's doing something honorable and meaningful so we'll take the hit on the family time.
AggieEP
This is mostly anecdotal, but I'd say if you're enlisting as a college graduate you'll fit in better in the AF or the Navy.

Sounds weird because Army will let you join as an E4, but your opinion won't be truly valued until you hit E8. (Like 15 years in) Its a weird phenomenon to watch, but an Army E5 with an idea has to get it passed up the chain and is dependent on his chain to value the idea and fight for it. Basically in my experience their adherence to the chain of command limits innovation. I've also been in meetings where Army E7s compete with each other to see who can suck up hardest to their boss's bad ideas, in the AF were empowered to challenge our leaders (respectfully of course)

On the other hand in the AF when I've had an idea, my boss sends me up the chain to personally fight for it. It's a good feeling, you are the stake holder in improving a process at a low level so you should be the one who eventually stands in front of the commander advocating for it.

Only way I'd ever recommend a college graduate to join the Army would be as an officer or warrant. (Disclaimer this is all based on my own observations as an outsider working in joint environments for the last 9 years)

I dont know if what I'm writing here makes sense but to me being respected at work is a big deal and once I got out of training I've been treated as a respected subject matter expert.

Final word, have to do your research before joining and know what you want to get out of this experience personally and professionally.
JABQ04
AG
Yikes. Way off base man. My personal experiences in the Army as an E-3 to E-6 were wayyyyyy different. Yes there were frustrating things and adhering to the CoC can Be annoying, but (and again my own experience) going in and kicking ass and becoming "tactically and technically proficient" led to a lot of opportunities and my opinion being valued and sought by my leadership and peers.
Lee72
AG
I'll have to agree with OP that it depends on the service that you want to join. I'm a 36 year Navy retired Mustang (Officer who is formerly enlisted). I initially enlisted after receiving draft notice...became a Radioman (later, this rate was combined with Data Processing Tech to become IT)...at the rank of RM1 (E-6), I received a direct commission as an Ensign (O-1) specializing in Intelligence.
With regard to the Navy, I tell folks that the difference between being an enlisted member and an officer in the USN is similar to the difference of being black and white in Selma AL in 1960's...no racism intended, just a radical simile of the situation.
For instance, food and quarters are better as an officer. Promotion is easier and less political as enlisted thanks officer. Respect and "honors" tend to come more to officers than enlisted by others. In fact, as you go up the ranks, either as enlisted or officer, these last to increase at certain plateaus...I.e. E-6, E-7 and up while officers increase at O-5, O-6, and up. In other services, the officer plateau starts at O-4 but the Navy considers O-1 thru O-4 as junior officers. The biggest jump in esteem occurs for enlisted at E-7 when they cross over from the dungaree sailor ranks to the khaki leadership ranks of Chief Petty Officers. For officers, although the first senior officer rank of O-5 (Commander) gets a good amount of increase, it pales in comparison to when you get promoted to O-6 (Captain). I remember the two days when I went from Commander to Captain. The day I walked in with my eagles on my uniform, it was like being Moses and the Red Sea parting as I walked into the room...sailors and junior officers suddenly saw fit to give way to"the Captain" coming through. Likewise, it seems that my IQ has soared overnight! I suddenly knew what I was talking about...LOL!
But, whichever route you choose, make the most of it. Take on challenges as opportunities to prove yourself in the eyes of others. As you go up in ranks, especially as you pass any of the plateaus mentioned before, recall how you felt at those lower ranks and treat your subordinates like you would have wanted back then. Not to say that you should pamper them, just let them know that you're the leader and you've got their backs. If they screw up, the first time is your fault because you didn't ensure they were taught correctly. The next time, since you've retrained them,then it's their fault and time for discipline. Keep a two way line of communications with your junior leadership, whether it be enlisted types or officers. If you can work as a team, you will be successful.
Good luck in whatever your choice may be.
Lee72
CAPT USN (Ret)
D206
AG
Depends on what you want to do. I loved being an enlisted Infantryman. The Army offers you the most career latitude by far. You could enlist, go to SF then decide you want to be a PA or fly helicopters. You can also just reclassify MOS if you decide you picked wrong.

In hindsight I would enlist with a 3 year option 40 contract. Get a deployment and a tab then go to OCS and shine or just get out and have pride in what I did.
maverick2076
21 years in the National Guard, with 17 of those years AGR. All enlisted. I started at A&M on a 4 year ROTC scholarship. Dropped it after my fish year because I didn't want to go on active duty. I enlisted in the Guard my junior year to help pay for school and because I wanted to serve. I got deployed in 2003 and stayed on active duty with the Guard after that. I went from deployment to ADOS to AGR. I started as an 88M, transitioned to 92Y when I went AGR, and then converted to 74D last spring. I was selected as First Sergeant for my current unit in December.

I love being an NCO. I had numerous opportunities, especially early in my career, to go to OCS. It never really interested me. For a long time my goal was to make E-7 as a 92Y and then become a Logistics Warrant. Once I made E7, I realized how much I would miss being an NCO and decided to stay on that course. I love being an NCO. The direct interaction with soldiers is great. I love to train soldiers, develop NCOs, and mentor young officers. I've had a great career so far, and being selected as First Sergeant for my current unit is a dream come true. I'm very grateful I stayed on the NCO path.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Navy - enlisted - poor pay - scullery, manual labor before you get promoted .

Air Force officer non flying - good pay, lousy bosses

Take officer ANY day !
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
Agvet12
AG
Enlisted after graduation, told the OSO I wanted to play with the toys rather tell people what to do. Figured what the hell I'll have fun.

Was an engineer in the Marines, and had a blast looking back at it. I will say however maturity was a both an advantage and a killer for moral. On one hand I was asked to do more and promoted more quickly and could handle it better, on the other being around jack ass 18yr olds at 25 kinda sucks sometimes. Especially in punishment form. Also the barracks were from the 50s and sucked ass.
Post removed:
by user
REMARCH11
AG
I have done both, I enlisted out of HS and served a 5 year tour. Had broken service and came in as an officer when we back to war.

There are pro's and cons to both sides as a whole I enjoyed the officer side a little more, reason being is it gave me an immediate opportunity to lead, from the enlisted side, it takes a while.

Both are great paths, the other decision you need to make is weather or not you plan on making this is career.

One avenue I would highly recommend is doing a 4 year enlisted tour then transfer to the officer ranks, you will be far more respected by your troops! Having an O that's been in the mud and the blood goes a long way.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.