Rudder's Rangers Quad Assault

3,365 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Buck Turgidson
Trident15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Really unfortunate this event has been moved off campus. From the Rudder's Facebook Page:

Howdy!

We are sorry for the late notice and hope nobody's schedule is ruined, but due to circumstances beyond our control Quad Assault is being delayed until September 12.

Furthermore, it is at an off campus location at the request of university officials for fear of panic on campus in relation to the unfortunate shootings in Texas (El Paso and Odessa) and Ohio (Dayton).

More details will be posted this week and we will of course post the video here soon after the event!
Naveronski
AG
Wow. For a school with such a military history to be afraid of a military demonstration by students and under direct adult supervision is appalling.

Who decided to be offended by this?
Rabid Cougar
AG
Oh dear God....... safe spaces for everyone....
JABQ04
AG
JFC!
Pro Sandy
AG
That's a real shame.

The university could have done a simple announcement instead of caving into fear.
AGhistorian
It seems pretty logical to me. In a state where we have had some of the most horrifying mass shootings in the last few years it stands to reason that we probably shouldn't fire off hundreds of rounds of blanks and a few grenade Sims in the middle of a university campus. Between El Paso, Santa Fe, Sutherland Spring, etc...it seems feasible that there mIght even be a survivor of any one of these events that is a student.

No matter how easy it seems, getting the word out to 60,000 students is not easy. So I'm sure that 911 operators appreciate moving the event.
Trinity Ag
S
Naveronski said:

Wow. For a school with such a military history to be afraid of a military demonstration by students and under direct adult supervision is appalling.

Who decided to be offended by this?
I don't think it is about people being "offended" -- it is about people being clueless about the event, and then being terrified when the explosions and gunfire starts.

No matter how well it is publicized and coordinated with UPD, it still freaks out a significant number of people every year.

And given recent events, people are strung higher than usual about simulated gunfire in public places.

It is unfortunate, but understandable, IMO.
HollywoodBQ
AG
These days, I would actually be worried about some nutjob seeing the scary Black Rifles that Rudder's Rangers would be carrying and deciding to shoot at them with real ammo.

As far as getting the word out, when I used to work in North Sydney, the Australian Defence Force would regularly conduct "Assault" drills or "Anti-Terror" exercises with their Blackhawk helicopters. Frankly, it was pretty cool. They would put out notice through all the TV and Radio stations, newspapers, and notify all the local businesses that this is a training exercise, not a real attack.

Thanks to the miracle of YouTube searches, here's a video from the building I used to work in and approximately the floor I used to work on. Also, the North American voice is NOT mine. I think it might be a Canadian former colleague.

Back to A&M, isn't this kind of alert what the Code Maroon system is for?
Jock 07
AG
This is ridiculous bull***** Why can't you get the word out and warn all the easily triggered kids to avoid the area? Hopefully they only move it for this year and back on the quad next year
Trinity Ag
S
HollywoodBQ said:

These days, I would actually be worried about some nutjob seeing the scary Black Rifles that Rudder's Rangers would be carrying and deciding to shoot at them with real ammo.

As far as getting the word out, when I used to work in North Sydney, the Australian Defence Force would regularly conduct "Assault" drills or "Anti-Terror" exercises with their Blackhawk helicopters. Frankly, it was pretty cool. They would put out notice through all the TV and Radio stations, newspapers, and notify all the local businesses that this is a training exercise, not a real attack.

Thanks to the miracle of YouTube searches, here's a video from the building I used to work in and approximately the floor I used to work on. Also, the North American voice is NOT mine. I think it might be a Canadian former colleague.

Back to A&M, isn't this kind of alert what the Code Maroon system is for?
It can be.

But even if you use it, I can visualize the result:

- People get a maroon alert on their phones (they don't read it, or don't understand it)

- 5 big explosions from arty simulators, followed by gunfire

- OMG, live shooter!

Even if it is .05% who misunderstand the alert, that is a lot of people freaking out, calling the police, calling their parents, parents calling the Commandant or the President, live Instagramming from the broom closet while announcing nationally there is a "live shooter" on the A&M campus.

HollywoodBQ
AG
I read this in the morning before going to the gym and somewhere on the exercise bike, when I had enough oxygen to the brain, I had a few thoughts about the situation.

Part 1 - When I was a kid in Saudi Arabia, we occasionally would get into street fights with Saudi kids. I'd sort of forgotten about this - I know, ironic for a B-Company StreetFighter but... I digress. So, what would happen is we'd be playing a pick-up game of soccer on the hard marl football pitch and somebody would check somebody and somebody else would check them back and the next thing you know, a fight breaks out.

So, what the Saudi kids would do, is they'd run away. Us international kids would get all cocky thinking we had scared them off because we were such badasses (If only Donald Rumsfeld would have consulted me). But... what the Saudi kids were doing was - going for backup. So, the next thing you know, there's 10-15 of us Westerners being surrounded by 20-30 Saudi kids.

What they would do is, they would array themselves in a semi-circle - using the walls on two sides of the football pitch for the rest of the circle. They would be about 50 meters away, standing about 5 meters apart and there was no way out. Us Western kids had our 20" BMX bikes (I rode a Diamondback, friends rode bikes from Kuwahara, Redline, GT, Hutch, Mongoose, etc.) and a few had 10-speeds but, the bottom line is that there was no way we were going to break through this human wall - on foot.

So, we had to do a Call of Duty style Zombie Train on them to get them to commit in one direction and then we'd accelerate on our bikes and ride in the opposite direction as fast as possible to try to keep from getting our asses beat by 25+ Saudis. That usually worked but it was still scary.

So, what I was thinking for the Rudder's Rangers quad assault, is why not take all the D&C Cadets and space them 5 meters apart "Saudi style" in a human chain around the quad. Or, you could do it with all the fish (or CT Zips and tell them it's a privilege like guarding the yardline markers when the FTAB marches). In any case, UPD is probably not going to provide much more than a couple of roadblocks but, the Corps could provide its own security for such an event.

Part 2 - The Corps of Cadets has a reasonable presence on social media. Instagram, FB, Twitter, YouTube.

Why not do a livestream on whichever of these platforms is appropriate. I know for a fact that one of the members of the Commandants Staff knows how to do this because I watched his FB feed when Bush 41's funeral train came to College Station.

So, as I thought about this a little more, what might make even more sense is for the Corps to do the next evolution of social media and create a "Corps TV" channel on YouTube, or whatever.

My "Million Dollar" big idea for the day is to have a Corps TV YouTube channel where they livestream Corps activities. That way, folks like me who are far remote from College Station could tune in and watch a March-In, or a Band halftime, or a Rudder's Rangers Quad Assault.

I've got a buddy who sits on the 3rd deck in "The Zone" who livestreams all the FTAB halftime performances at Kyle Field. It's pretty cool and he's just using his phone. I would imagine that for a couple of $$$$, the "Corps TV" channel could have some professional equipment and stream a nice 1080p feed.

I know I'd tune into that for every game and I guarantee you people like my 83 year old Class of '59 A-Infantry father wouldn't miss an episode of "Corps TV". Heck, we were touring a winery in Napa Valley two years ago and he's on his damn iPhone watching Aggie Basketball. I know he'd watch "Corps TV".

Alright, enough TexAgs for one day. It's Friday night in Sydney's Northern Beaches and I've got a couple of cold tinnies with my name on them
ABATTBQ87
AG
But at least today is Spirit Friday so they get to wear C's and T's to class, right?
ABATTBQ87
AG

Quote:

My "Million Dollar" big idea for the day is to have a Corps TV YouTube channel where they livestream Corps activities. That way, folks like me who are far remote from College Station could tune in and watch a March-In, or a Band halftime, or a Rudder's Rangers Quad Assault.
Put that idea right up there with the Longhorn Network.
HollywoodBQ
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

Quote:

Put that idea right up there with the Longhorn Network.
Ha Ha. Yeah, the number of viewers would probably be similar
Ag_of_08
AG
The difference being the corps "broadcast" would take a few hundred dollars in equipment, the lhn Is a multi million dollar farce.
HollywoodBQ
AG
So... it happened. Out at the Firemen Training Center where we used to do rappelling, etc. Now called the "Rudder's Raid". Complete with scary black rifles. Probably AR-15s, especially the one with the strange looking clip.

Buck Turgidson
Based on my memories of Corps life in the 80's, it would have been a really bad PR move to broadcast what we were up to most of the time. Crapouts, swirlies, quadding, Skoal can bombs, and many more "good bull" and "redass" activities would have brought a lot of unwelcome repercussions if shown on the internet.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.