Midway(2019) movie

2,763 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by KSigAg12
PaulSimonsGhost
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Suprising new film considering the Hollywood anti-military climate. This could be another Hollywood **** show like Michael Bay's Pearl Harbor. But as a Navy veteran this trailer still gave me goose bumps.

Clearly a battle in which God was on our side, it's been a fascination of mine since sitting in on a lecture at the Naval War College years ago.

I still tear up when I consider the bravery of those initial Avenger squadrons. Knowing you're gone die in a very grotesque way and doing it anyway...

We would have won in the Pacific no matter what (simply look at how many carriers were in our fleet in '45 versus '42). But it would have been a longer engagement certainly.
Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.

Steve McQueen
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
Sorry, fellas.

Thought I posted this in the history forum. Apologize. Carry on.
Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.

Steve McQueen
Nuke_Ag05
AG
No worries! Had no idea this was even coming out.
TowGun93
AG
Just saw the preview when I took my son to a movie today. Looks interesting...and don't forget the Marines!
monarch
S
Coral Sea started to turn the tide but Midway was something the Japanese navy never recovered from. Basically, we started to rule the waves in the Pacific after that battle.

Correct me if I am wrong but combining the Japanese carrier losses at Coral Sea with their carrier losses at Midway, didn't we have all six Japanese carriers that attacked Pearl Harbor knocked out for the balance of the war? Am I wrong about this?
Old RV Ag
AG
PaulSimonsGhost said:

I still tear up when I consider the bravery of those initial Avenger squadrons. Knowing you're gone die in a very grotesque way and doing it anyway...

Agree with everything you wrote. However, the initial squadrons from the carriers that went on the suicide runs were the old TBD Devestators. There were six of the new TBF Avengers at/from Midway that joined the first wave from Midway which didn't do any better overall.

Edit: watched the trailer. Sadly looks too computer graphics and overacting.
Skinner1998
AG
monarch said:

Correct me if I am wrong but combining the Japanese carrier losses at Coral Sea with their carrier losses at Midway, didn't we have all six Japanese carriers that attacked Pearl Harbor knocked out for the balance of the war? Am I wrong about this?

The light carrier Shoho was sunk at Coral Sea - it didn't participate in the Pearl Harbor attack.

The fleet carriers Zuikaku and Shokaku were part of the Pearl Harbor raid and also participated in the Coral Sea battle. The Shokaku was damaged at Coral Sea but not sunk. It was quickly repaired but the depleted flight crews kept both carriers from participating at Midway. Shokaku was sunk in the Battle of the Philippine Sea and Zuikaku at the Battle of Leyte Gulf.
KSigAg12
AG
The original is one of my favorites. I'll be interested to see this one for sure
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.