Quitting the Corps

9,574 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by mccjames
Gator90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Let's say you decide to quit the corps at Xmas break your senior year. Only one semester until Final Review. You quit the corps because of some adversity (found out can't serve in the military). So, you're a non-reg that last semester. At graduation, you elect to walk across the stage to get your diploma in your corps uniform. Is this an earned right?
What say you, past and present CT's?
Martin Cash
AG
You're kidding, right?
JABQ04
AG
tunefx
AG
Caveat: not in Corps

Quit - no uniform at graduation.

Quit and wear uniform: Stolen valor-lite. (I mean no disrespect to anyone who served by using this phrase.)

Cross the finish line the right way and have no regret years from now.
CT'97
AG
It's been done before, the situations I'm aware of had very specific circumstances. I think it's a very hard thing to paint with a broad brush stroke.
JABQ04
AG
Other than the person who is walking, will any one really know? Will anyone really care?
Gator90
AG
Personally, I feel it's disrespectful to those cadets that have completed the fight, and a misrepresentation of ones accomplishments.
Rabid Cougar
AG
If he was a ****** then I'd have to have a conversation. If it was for a serious reason and he was a good buddy, I'd loan him everything that I could to make it happen as would the rest of my buddies.

Still trying to wrap my mind around punching in December of your Zip year.....

I did have a buddy who was "invited" by the school to leave at the end of our junior year due to grades. Even marched in his boots at Final Review. He went away, got his grades back up, returned and graduated but as non-reg. ( As a fish he brought his dad's boots to the dorm. Yep. Got our Cross fit WODs done everyday for a month)

For full disclosure - I walked in boots and uniform as a 5th year D&C Senior with borrowed midnights and SB.
S-2 Marauder '86
hillcountryag86
AG
"Can't serve in the military" is enough adversity to quit spring semester of zip year? Please.
PanzerAggie06
AG
No.

It's not stolen valor lite. Not only is it not in the same ball park it's not even the same game. A different phrase would be more appropriate.
Jock 07
AG
Gator90 said:

Let's say you decide to quit the corps at Xmas break your senior year. Only one semester until Final Review. You quit the corps because of some adversity (found out can't serve in the military). So, you're a non-reg that last semester. At graduation, you elect to walk across the stage to get your diploma in your corps uniform. Is this an earned right?
What say you, past and present CT's?
hypothetically speaking, right?
Agvet12
AG
If a bear ****s in the woods....

Honestly man, nothing wrong with wanting to enjoy your last semester without the daily routine. The only thing is now you need to focus on getting a job, since the military didn't work out. Assuming you didn't take an internships (due to military being your choice) staying in the Corps for networking purposes isn't a bad call either.
HollywoodBQ
AG
It's a weird one for sure. We'd probably need to know more about his extenuating circumstances about why he didn't stick around that last semester. What was this reasoning? Criminal record, Health issue, etc. It doesn't sound like it was financial if he remained at A&M but just not in the Corps.

When I was in the Guard, we had an SMP cadet who showed up one day wearing his E-4 brass instead of his one moon cadet brass because he found out he wouldn't be able to commission. Something to do with credit rating and possible fraud. So he reverted to being an Enlisted Man again.

As far as misrepresentation of himself - if he did 7 out of 8 semesters in the Corps, does it really matter which semesters. Heck, in the Band, we had dudes who missed not only single semesters but entire years. That's why most folks get their letterman's sweater their Junior year but some don't get it until their Senior year if they've missed a fall marching semester.

I think it would be strange and definitely not something I would do.

But on the other hand, it's not like he dropped out during FOW and then borrowed some midnights 4 years later.
tunefx
AG
PanzerAggie06 said:

No.

It's not stolen valor lite. Not only is it not in the same ball park it's not even the same game. A different phrase would be more appropriate.
Agree, I tried to differentiate but did not do a great job. I should have used a different phrase. Please accept my apologies.
cavjock88
AG
What did he's buddies have to say...
Diyala Nick
AG
As a non-reg that went the OCS route, I think this is hilarious.

I wouldn't be offended if someone dressed like the Captain Morgan guy even if they weren't an actual pirate, so I guess I'm cool with this.
Trident 88
AG
A little weird, but I wouldn't really care. Back in my day anyway, zips barely participated in Corps activities during their last semester. Far too many of them were ghosts before they graduated.
Gator90
AG
Nope. This actually happened. Not sure what his buddies had to say. I polled my class buddies, and they told me no f'in way would they approve.
Apparently this cadet was granted permission to do this, and didn't pull it out.
To each their own I guess...
outlaw96
AG
I agree with Gator 90. Spring semester zip year is a very small burden if you don't want to participate in the Corps. I had buddies that didn't PT, didn't go to many formations, rarely slept in the dorms that semester. In other words, you don't have to do much if you don't want to.

Punching at that time is a choice that you don't want anything else to do with the Corps. So why change your mind for graduation? Because mommy wants pictures?

What role should the Trigon play in this situation?
I Am A Critic
Gator90 said:

Personally, I feel it's disrespectful to those cadets that have completed the fight, and a misrepresentation of ones accomplishments.
Referring to participation in the Corps as a "fight" is a misrepresentation as well.
Gator90
AG
Critic, how about...
Finish strong?
Complete your commitment?
Jsimonds58
AG
I would say it qualifies as bag behavior, I would be pissed had one of my buddies pulled this
Gator92
AG
Hmm. Me thinks this isn't a hypothetical. Based on your location and occupation, I think I know who I'm dealing w/. One or your buddies? Was he in a Frat? I really don't have a problem with it seeing how last semester of zip year isn't really a commitment. If it's who I'm thinking of however, then I might have a problem.

And this is coming from someone who helped pack one his fish buddies' bags!
Federale01
AG
He earned his boots and wore them for a semester, so I'm ok with it if his buddies are. They would know better than anyone if he deserves it. I would never do it, and don't understand why he would though. How do you look your buddies in the eye when don't cross the finish line with them?
Matt_ag98
He can do what he wants...but I dont think it is right and his buddies would probably shrug it off but why quit with one semester left? bc your feeling were hurt? Sounds like they may not have been cut out for the military anyways, the taxpayers need those who support and defend the constitution and support those who can find, close with and kill the enemy, not a bunch of hurt feeling servicemembers ...already have enough of those
mccjames
AG
A lot of Gators on this one, would have a very hard time if someone punched and still wore uniform at graduation. There would have to be some serious reason and I can't think of any except early fatherhood.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.