T-38 Replacement Selected

6,099 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CharlieBrown17
CharlieBrown17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
After ~18 months of delay there's finally a replacement for the aging T-38 in the works.

https://www.defensenews.com/breaking-news/2018/09/27/reuters-air-force-awards-9b-contract-to-boeing-for-next-training-jet/

UTExan
Not a pilot, but can you hang any ordnance on these trainer aircraft?
Scruffy
AG
UTExan said:

Where there's a will, there's enough duct tape to make it happen.
hillcountryag86
AG
UTExan said:

Think the F5 is the fighter version of the T38 with some foreign air forces flying it. Or did.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Yes and no.

Almost all T-38s are not weapons capable. Some were outfitted for weapons training but I don't believe for live munitions.

The F-5 and T-38 are basically akin to a Ford and Lincoln version of the same car.

I don't believe the T-X is weapons capable but wouldn't be surprised if there's eventually a weapons variant.
bigtruckguy3500
A variant of the T-6 Texas ii, a turboprop trainer used by the Navy, is a big player in several air forces around the world. In places like Afghanistan, the Afghani air force really doesn't need an air superiority fighter. They just need a low cost, reliable plane to bomb the Taliban and do strafing runs.

And this plan looks very similar to the Textron Scorpion, which was floated as a replacement for the A10.

Looks like a fun plane to fly, that's for sure.
CanyonAg77
AG
I think the main driver, besides aging airframes, and aging avionics, is the T-38s lack of performance at high angles of attack, and the lack of air-to-air refueling capability. They want to teach refueling in SUPT, rather than follow-on.

And while it's hard to beat the T-38 for looks, these look pretty good.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Air Force trains in the Texan II as well. It replaced the T-37.

The A-29 Super Tucano is a similar turbo prop being used in the same way as the AT-6.
CharlieBrown17
AG
The T-X was my favorite to win solely based on looks.

Disappointed they won't be remotely online until 2023. Maybe circle back through UPT as an old guy to fly one.
CanyonAg77
AG
If they make it into the fleet in time, my pilot will be hitting the end of her 11 year obligation about that time. Don't know if she will go back to SUPT for one last hurrah then, or stay in for 20. Time will tell.

One thing she said about the -38 was that the radio and other buttons were unreadable, the labels having long ago worn away.

Do you have a class assignment yet?
CharlieBrown17
AG
2023 is when they're scheduled to make it to PIT. The releases all just say Randolph AFB then but I'm assuming that means PIT so we have IPs ready for the full rollout.

When I left to head to IFT a bit back I was 20-05. We'll see if that's still true when I get home
Snooter
AG
Hate to say it but the single engine means these things are going to be the new lawn darts...
StrangeLuv
AG
Quote:

They want to teach refueling in SUPT, rather than follow-on.
I have never seen a time where I thought a pilot needed more training air refueling... pretty easy to do. Seems like an unnecessary expense. It be nice for cross countries.
CanyonAg77
AG
74OA
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Yes and no.

Almost all T-38s are not weapons capable. Some were outfitted for weapons training but I don't believe for live munitions.

The F-5 and T-38 are basically akin to a Ford and Lincoln version of the same car.

I don't believe the T-X is weapons capable but wouldn't be surprised if there's eventually a weapons variant.
The T-X does come with external hardpoints to carry pods and captive missiles, but it's not yet known if those are also designed to eventually be weapons-capable. Huge win for Boeing. T-X
Snooter
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Snooter said:

Hate to say it but the single engine means these things are going to be the new lawn darts...
Your aviation knowledge is as limited as your political knowledge.
Quote:

between FY1990 and FY2004, the single-engine F-16 suffered 80 Class A engine-related mishaps for a rate of 1.31 per 100,000 flight hours.

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/weapons/RL33390.pdf
The "lawn dart" label on the early F-16s was related to g-loc, not engine failure

Lol if only you knew my background...

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/Citations:lawn_dart

Snooter
AG
And additionally it's really sad, I sit hear and I bet in face to Face conversation I'd really like you, I'm sure you have some old timer stories from back in the day you'd love to share and we could discuss them over a beer, or potentially your daughter in 38's. But your attitude and personality on here is a real downer, keep the pointy end up...
CanyonAg77
AG
Snooter
AG
CanyonAg77
AG
Done. Attack me on politics if you want. Not polluting this thread any more
CharlieBrown17
AG
Solid article. Hadn't seen that much detail in most pieces about it yet.
74OA
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Solid article. Hadn't seen that much detail in most pieces about it yet.
WarZone is an informative, sometimes provocative, site.
CharlieBrown17
AG
StrangeLuv said:

Quote:

They want to teach refueling in SUPT, rather than follow-on.
I have never seen a time where I thought a pilot needed more training air refueling... pretty easy to do. Seems like an unnecessary expense. It be nice for cross countries.

Was actually talking to a major about the T-X today. He thinks the Air Force is "close" to going back to one advanced trainer. Supposedly the T-1 is getting discountined.

If that is true, it's a big plus for it to have refueling imo
CanyonAg77
AG
That will be interesting. I have heard that the "Tones" were getting a little tired. The jets really weren't designed for the number of cycles they do in SUPT.

I assume the reason for the T-one is the buzzzword Cockpit Resource Management. Perhaps they will just shove that training into the follow-on type training.
StrangeLuv
AG
Pilot Training Next

If this proves successful, there won't be T-1s or a T-X.
CanyonAg77
AG
I can see a move to virtual training, but you're still going to have to get up there and see if you can pull some Gs and not get airsick
CharlieBrown17
AG
They're already headed that way. The beginning of the new T-6 course is double digit sim rides before you even touch the aircraft
Southlake
I thank God every day for my time in the 38...
Southlake
Also, in the airlines, it's all sim time. First time you land a plane is with pax on board...
CharlieBrown17
AG
Southlake said:

Also, in the airlines, it's all sim time. First time you land a plane is with pax on board...

A little different based on the pilots being trained.

UPT has pilot trainees with the 15 or so hours they get at IFT or guys with PPLs that don't have to go to IFT but haven't flown in months and sometimes years as the majority.

Still think there's room for more sim hours but still need the real stick time.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

UPT has pilot trainees with the 15 or so hours they get at IFT or guys with PPLs that don't have to go to IFT but haven't flown in months and sometimes years as the majority.
Are you certain about that?

When my pilot went through, everyone had to go through the initial flight training at Doss in the little Diamond aircraft. There were stories of civilian pilots with CFII ratings that failed out of IFT. It wasn't that they couldn't fly, but they couldn't adjust to the Air Force way of flying. Too many bad habits, and an attitude problem, I assume.

This is all second- and third-hand, so I could be wrong.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Yeah it's a recent change due to pipeline backup.

I believe your daughter went through IFS (screening vs training) and it was considerable more difficult per the rumor mill.
AggieHighFlyer
AG
A bro of mine was an IP at UPT-N.They did some neat stuff and definitely proved the concept that more focused repititions of a task leads to, shocker, more proficiency in that task. The studs they produced were mostly pretty good but remains to be seen if any of them make it all the way through FTU. Still, UPT-N will only ever be a small supplement to current style UPT because the technology demand isnt scaleable yet.

Word was the TX was going to be the single advanced trainer but theyre buying less of them than we have 38's, so hard to see that becoming the case when our number of 38's is being identified as a limfac for pilot production. Also the air refueling is intended for IFF use, not for SUPT.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Just put my name in the hat for UPT-N rd 2

There's more stick time than I had been led to believe before but still very VR focused.

Some of the guys from the first try got washed out of their fighter B course but got sent back to phase 3 in T-38s to get spun up and sent back to fighters. But others are holding their own, haven't heard any issues about the guys that went heavy.
bigtruckguy3500
This the thing where they put a simulator in your dorm room?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.