Spend The Night With The Corps

2,224 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BQ78
bonfiresmoke
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My son spent the night with the Corps last weekend and it has totally put him in gear. He now has a focus as to what he wants to do after high school graduation. I don't know that he was really looking forward to it as his mother was pushing it and he was doing it for her. However, once in he was completely blown away and more excited about something than we have ever seen. We heard stories for hours about what he learned, what he did, people he met and how current cadets and leadership are willing to help him in his pursuit of joining the Corps. As an Army Veteran I have always admired the Corps and follow what they are doing on social media and TexAgs. I had a nephew that was in the Corps and a member of Parsons Cav back in the 90's, so I know just enough to be dangerous. This program is amazing and I hope many of the other high school attendees got as much from it as our son did.
JABQ04
AG
I think it's a great program. I did it twice, once junior year and once senior year back in HS. My old man kept telling me it would be watered down and only show the good stuff, but man I saw my future Sophomores getting their asses smoked off and I know as a fish the next year Spend the Nighters saw the same for us. Lots of information to take in and great glimpse into the life. I recommend it to the few HS students I come into contact with who have no set plans or if A&M is an interest.
SECeded
74OA
AG
How was the south end of the Quad looking? Almost done?
Delmar Berry
How old does a kid have to be before they can do this? I'm guessing its something they can do Junior or
Senior year in HS, but I don't know. Who do we contact?
Koko Chingo
AG
http://corps.tamu.edu/spend-the-night-with-the-corps/
bonfiresmoke
JABQ04 said:

I think it's a great program. I did it twice, once junior year and once senior year back in HS. My old man kept telling me it would be watered down and only show the good stuff, but man I saw my future Sophomores getting their asses smoked off and I know as a fish the next year Spend the Nighters saw the same for us. Lots of information to take in and great glimpse into the life. I recommend it to the few HS students I come into contact with who have no set plans or if A&M is an interest.
Our son was a junior this year and he cannot wait until next year to go again. He is still talking about it. I know what military service did for me as a young man, but that was back in 1975 and it has changed a little since then. It has even changed more since I retired in 1999. Overall, I know the Corps would be a great program for him no matter what his plans are beyond that.
bigplay
SNWC is open to high school juniors and seniors. We have our last program of this school year tomorrow but we'll start back up in September. Check our Corps website for more info (link is in one of the posts above). Email me at shawes@corps.tamu.edu if you have questions.

Colonel (Ret) Sam Hawes '81
Assistant Commandant for Recruiting
JABQ04
AG
IIRC I think I came home and actually made my bed with (albeit half ass) hospital corners. My mom was wondering who I was and where did her son go. Got my butt outside and started running too.
Rabid Cougar
AG
No... Go into it blind during FOW.... it's way more interesting that way.
SNWC is like looking at Playboy before you ever start dating.

BQ78
AG
Quote:

SNWC is like looking at Playboy before you ever start dating.
Looks like I cheated then... with dating... not the corps.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.