Corps question

4,368 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by CharlieBrown17
bobcataggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Do you know why fish don't have ROTC patches? They have the ATM patch on both sides like the upperclassmen who don't sign a contract.

Thank you in advance and gig'em.
black_hat_ag
they don't sign till later if they so choose. think its their soph year they choose.
Charlie 31
AG
MS I and MS II cadets, who are in their first and second years in the Corps and do not have prior military service, wear an ROTC patch on their left shoulder and the A&M patch on their right shoulder. Any cadet who does not sign a contract to commission as a military officer upon graduation then wears the A&M patch on both shoulders during their third and fourth years in the Corps, plus they do not take MS III and MS IV classes.

The only reason a fish would be wearing two A&M patches is if they are a military veteran who is a drill and ceremony cadet with no intent to be commissioned a military officer upon graduation from Texas A&M. The veterans have already completed the equivalent of MS I and MS II classes in boot camp so do not wear the ROTC patch and do not have to take MS I and MS II course work.
greg.w.h
AG
Nice explanation.
EVA3
AG
black_hat_ag said:

they don't sign till later if they so choose. think its their soph year they choose.

Has something changed? All cadets are ROTC for the first two years and wear their respective ROTC patch. ROTC patches represent participation in ROTC, not a contract. That's what contract pins represent.

EVA3
AG
I got interrupted while typing. That makes sense.
OneMoonGoon92
AG
Goid post Charlie...explained very well and correct
TXAggieMom11
New ROTC rule this year is ONLY contracted cadets no matter the year can wear the ROTC patch. My PH had to exchange all of his uniform blouses for non ROTC patched ones.
Matt_ag98
Nm
black_hat_ag
Ya I wasn't sure about new rules. Just knew generally that the cadets don't choose whether they go into the service till later. Couldn't remember if it was after fresh or soph year.

Plus looks likes there are new rules.
EVA3
AG
TXAggieMom11 said:

New ROTC rule this year is ONLY contracted cadets no matter the year can wear the ROTC patch. My PH had to exchange all of his uniform blouses for non ROTC patched ones.

Dumb.
OldArmy71
AG
Agree. Dumb rule.
phatbeast
AG
Why is this on Football board?!
Ol Jock 99
AG
phatbeast said:

To ruin your day.
Sponge
AG
phatbeast said:

Because staff doesn't permaban 99 % of all users for wrong forum violations. But they should.
FNG
Charlie,

This guy is looking for you.

CharlieBrown17
AG
Everyone is required to take freshmen and sophomore level ROTC classes.

Starting this year only contracted cadets wear ROTC patches.
Ol Jock 99
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Everyone is required to take freshmen and sophomore level ROTC classes.

Starting this year only contracted cadets wear ROTC patches.

So the only fish to wear an ROTC patch are 4 year scholly guys? That's freaking stupid.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Basically yeah.

I think the army has been letting underclassmen contract without scholarships recently but that's not my branch.
Liquid Wrench
Sponge said:

phatbeast said:

Because staff doesn't permaban 99 % of all users for wrong forum violations. But they should.

Hmmm...you don't think maybe the rookie was at the game yesterday, saw march in or sat near some students and had a simple question?

Some yall need to relax. Moving it to the GB where the op probably won't see any replies makes....sense?
Ol Jock 99
AG
Hey, look at that. They moved it.
74OA
AG
Why do we care if fish wear the ROTC patch? It's hardly a treasured uniform item......
OldArmy71
AG
I care.

Texas A&M has had a military component since 1876 and has been part of ROTC since 1916.

Fish are not just members of a group that has decided to wear uniforms all day. They are enrolled in ROTC courses.

The ROTC patch reflects the historical reality and this present reality.

Why in the world would it be changed?
Ol Jock 99
AG
74OA said:

Why do we care if fish wear the ROTC patch? It's hardly a treasured uniform item......
Because it represents a significant choice and opportunity basically every cadet will have to make. Seeing that patch every day makes you think about your future and whether or not military service will be part of it.
74OA
AG
I think you're vesting way too much in a patch. My ROTC patch didn't affect my career thinking one way or the other and I don't remember anyone else focusing on it either. It's just a patch.
Justice Beaver
AG
How are we supposed to perpetuate stereotypes based on branch of service now?
TG15
AG
EVA3 said:

TXAggieMom11 said:

Dumb.
Why do you think that? I thought it was always strange that people who had no intention of commissioning were forced to wear a patch that displayed a particular branch.
Jock 07
AG
Concur that's it's a pretty stupid rule. Is this an A&M rule or DoD/ROTC rule?
CharlieBrown17
AG
Jock 07 said:

Concur that's it's a pretty stupid rule. Is this an A&M rule or DoD/ROTC rule?

Almost positive A&M.

My unofficial opinion is that it was done to make the MPWs life easier but I'm not a shot caller so take that as you will.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.