Amazing graphic of the worlds aircraft carriers

5,664 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by GAC06
MAROON
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
sorry if posted before

Owen Kellogg
AG
'Merica!
bigtruckguy3500
Are the ones on the left LHAs/LHDs?

And I never realized other countries had such smaller carriers.
monarch
S
Isnt the Chinese vessel built on a former French hull?
monarch
S
Does Thailand have any aircraft to fly off their carrier?
monarch
S
I would like to see us add 3-4 more carriers my self; Maybe we could reurn to being a pro-active military as opposed to one who waits for someone else to make the move.

Sorry; I'm in a pissy mood tonight.
Pro Sandy
AG
The ones on the left are indeed not considered carrier by the US. So the graphic is misleading because it leaves off ships of similar class.

We either are the most badass on the seas and in the air, or we have hedged our bets in the wrong arena.
Pro Sandy
AG
quote:
Isnt the Chinese vessel built on a former French hull?
Russian. But they called it an aircraft carrying cruiser so that they could have it in the Black Sea.
Hey Nav
AG
Anyone know which one is parked in San Diego right now?
Ulysses90
AG
quote:
Are the ones on the left LHAs/LHDs?

Yes. To be precise, the top left is the last commissioned LHA, the USS Peleliu, and the ones below it are Wasp class LHDs. You can tell the LHA because on the left and right side of the bow are the vestiges of the 5" gun decks.
monarch
S
And the Russian, French and Chinese flight decks all swoop up at the end to assist in getting the aircraft in the air? Always looked weird to me.
Pro Sandy
AG
quote:
Pry the Carl Vinson. Have a 70 painted on her?
Pro Sandy
AG
quote:
Pry the Carl Vinson. Have a 70 painted on her?
Rabid Cougar
AG
quote:
And the Russian, French and Chinese flight decks all swoop up at the end to assist in getting the aircraft in the air? Always looked weird to me.

Brits too. Even though they use Sea Harriers they use the ski jumps to take off with heavier payloads. they also have the new HMS. Queen Elizabeth being fitted out and the HMS.Price of Wales under construction. They are 70,000 tons each. They will be the second largest carriers behind the Americans.
Aggies Revenge
AG
The Peleliu is on its last pump and is supposed to be decommissioned next year,IIRC.

Longest 6 months of my life were spent on that ship. My ability to absolutely dominate any civilian at spades lasted for about 2 years after that. I don't think I have ever played so many hands of cards as I did during that deployment.
GAC06
AG
The graphic includes our LHA/LHD's because that's what a lot of the rest of the world considers carriers. The only carriers with arresting gear and catapults besides our Nimitz class are the French and Brazilian carriers. The Russian and Chinese carrier have arresting gear but a ski jump instead of catapults, and all the rest are what we would consider LHA/LHD style and can only operate harriers. The British currently have no jets to operate their carriers with.
GAC06
AG
quote:
The Peleliu is on its last pump and is supposed to be decommissioned next year,IIRC.

The Peleliu is about to go away, but it is being replaced by USS AMERICA which looks pretty much like the LHD's except without a well deck, and it will be LHA 6 just to add to the confusion if it's ever operating in the same vicinity of LHD 6, BONHOMME RICHARD
Aggies Revenge
AG
Any reason for not having a well deck? Without one it seems likely that another LPD would have to be included on BLT deployments to make up for lack of vehicle space.
GAC06
AG
More room for fuel and hangar space for the F-35, and osprey which both take more space than the aircraft they replaced. I think the first two will be without a well deck, then the rest will have one just for inconsistency's sake
EMY92
AG
I thought the Brits were without a carrier currently. I thought they retired the 2 they had and will have a multiyear gap until their new one comes on line.
Aggies Revenge
AG
I think that graphic is a little dated. It does not include the Japanese Hyuga destroyer.

monarch
S
What is that under the deck of the Japanese carrier? Was that supposed to be something else? That is an odd looking boat.
monarch
S
Loaded question:

Do we need anothe battle group? Are we stretched to thin maybe?

Just asking.
Ulysses90
AG
quote:
Any reason for not having a well deck?

According to someone at CD&I involved in the amphibious shipping roadmap the decision to remove the well deck from LHA-6 was the result of nothing more than myopia about a force where anything that needed to get to shore could be carried by Ospreys and Super Stallions. As stated above, the first two America class LHAs will not have a well deck but following that the later hulls will have one.
Aggies Revenge
AG
Trying to picture how many lawn darts, I mean Ospreys it takes to lift a M1A1 to the shore.
Azure
AG
Azure
AG
whether we are stretched too thin is a function of how many battle groups there are and how they are deployed.

quote:
However, these powerful and versatile systems need continuous and regularly scheduled maintenance, and their crews require a great deal of training to attain and sustain readiness levels. The length of the carrier’s training, readiness, deployment, and maintenance cycle, the type of maintenance needed, and the timing of events within the cycle affect the carrier’s availability to meet operational needs. Over the past two decades, the proportion of time in a cycle that a carrier spends deployed has decreased, making it difficult for Navy planners to meet the forward-presence requirements of theater commanders. In future years, as the number of carriers in the fleet fluctuates, this challenge will be compounded. In this study, RAND examines the technical feasibility of different cycle lengths and their effect on the forward presence of Nimitz-class aircraft carriers. The authors assess several one- and two-deployment cycles, assuming a deployment length of six months and a time-between-deployments length equal to twice the duration of the previous deployment. The study also presents an analysis of the impact of different cycles on managing shipyard workloads. Among many findings, RAND concludes that shorter cycles can increase the forward presence of the carrier fleet and help level shipyard workloads. However, these shorter cycles will decrease fleet surge readiness. Longer, two-deployment cycles can increase forward presence, but may result in shipyard workload complications and deferred-work backlogs.

https://www.rand.org/pubs/monographs/MG706.html

[This message has been edited by Azure (edited 8/10/2014 2:49p).]
Waltonloads08
AG
can you imagine the smell on those India carriers?
GAC06
AG
Jet fuel and body odor? Yeah, I can...
Mameluke
AG
the only one that counts:

ChipFTAC01
AG
That's a nice little perspective trick. Put the kids about 10' behind the carrier for the photo
Aggies Revenge
AG
Walton,

I knew some Marines that were unfortunate enough to cross train with some Greek Naval forces. They were put on an old WWII era LST and circled off of Crete for a couple of days. They were at sea for less than a day and all of the ****ters exploded. Poor ventilation, years of sweat and garlic, and then a months worth of sewage spilling out of the heads. Unfortunately, there was not enough room topside for everyone to get some fresh air.
Mameluke
AG
Chip, that ****er was seriously like eight feet long. Only the rich kids had them.
JABQ04
AG
That GI Joe aircraft carrier was the holy grail of all toys.
Waltonloads08
AG
Revenge, that sounds brutal
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.