Army JAG Interview

13,483 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 13 yr ago by HBCanine08
HBCanine08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy,

I am a second year law student and have an interview this month for an Army JAG internship for the summer of 2011. I was wondering if anyone on here has any advice for the interview. I applied last year as a first year law student, interviewed, but did not get the internship for this previous summer. I wish I could remember what the interviewer asked. Thanks for your input.

[This message has been edited by HBCanine08 (edited 9/1/2010 3:46p).]
CGSC Lobotomy
My advice?

PASS THE BAR
Fly Army 97
He is looking for the internship not the commission. Did I miss something?
HBCanine08
AG
Internship indeed. For next summer. They only take 75 second year law students. I am hoping I can be one of those 75.
Jock 07
AG
Don't **** it up
YWIA
AgLaw02
AG
I know the interview is for an internship, not for a commission, but treat it the same. Show that you are genuinely interested in the military. When they ask you why you are interested in the internship, your answer should be "military-focused." Being in the military is not just another job. If you say you are there because you are interested in having a government job, that's going to tell the interviewer you don't know what you're getting into. Talk about how you are looking for a chance to serve your country in a way that is more fulfilling than what you would find in a law firm. Or, if that isn't true in your case, say you want to observe a military legal office to see if it is a lifestyle that is right for you - something like that (assuming it is accurate for your situation).

My goals going into the interview would be to indicate that I am eager to work and that I understand the military is a unique profession that either a) I want to join, or b) I want to learn more about to see if I want to join.

Wear a suit and tie. Be a few minutes early. Look the interviewer in the eye and give a firm handshake. Understand that your interviewer is used to being addressed as "Sir" or "Ma'am." Don't be nervous. In all likelihood your interviewer is good-natured, friendly, and appreciative that you want the internship. Good luck.
HBCanine08
AG
Jock and AgLaw, Thanks! I'll make sure to keep y'alls advice in mind.
jagvocate
AG
Treat it like "fish Interviews" ... they still do that in the Corps, right? ;-)

In addition to the excellent advice above, be willing to intern at any location, showing that you're a team player.

But if you're from D-2, as your user name suggests, you already are. Good luck.

SRF '97
Company D-2, Ol' Army JAG Officer (2001-2005)

"Every election is a sort of advance auction sale of stolen goods." -- H. L. Mencken
HBCanine08
AG
jagvocate, thanks for the advice. I am a Dog and I still remember my fish interview. Especially the one in the 1SG's room. Good bull.

Also, if anyone out there knows of any clerkships/internships for next summer please let me know.

So far I have interviewed with the Office of the Attorney General and have one today with the Dallas Public Defender's Office.

[This message has been edited by HBCanine08 (edited 9/2/2010 1:23p).]
Ag of Northern Virginia
Remember that you're not just interviewing for a military law internship. You are also interviewing to be a commissioned officer in the U.S. Army.
HBCanine08
AG
Well, I had my interview today. I think that was the best interview I've had so far for internships for the next summer. The captain asked me four questions and the rest of the time we talked about the Corps of Cadets and things I accomplished in law school and in undergrad. He liked that I had leadership experience. He even gave me some pointers concerning my resume, personal statement, and letters of recommendation for the application process.

I just have to work on my application now and I am going to keep my fingers crossed. I appreciate all the words of advice. Thanks and Gig 'em!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.