Old Zorn in Seguin

1,976 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by loveaTm
Rusty GCS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My son has a baseball tournament between Seguin & San Marcos next week. We'll be there the 16th - 21st.

Our team is from Louisiana so we are not familiar with the area.

Any suggestions on restaurants would be greatly appreciated. Any other advice, tips, or things to do when not at the ballpark would be appreciated also.

Thanks & Gig'em
AgPT06
AG
More to do/eat at in San Marcos. Chuys not far from there and is a fan favorite for out of state crowd. Pluckers and P Terrys not far from 123/35 as well. There is a Blacks Bar-B-Q there as well now but I have not been. If have time, float the San Marcos. If no time to float can jump in for a bit to swim at Sewell or Rio Vista park.
Burdizzo
AG
Do yourself a favor and eat a meal at Herbert's in San Marcos. You can eat chain food almost anywhere

Also, hit Grins for bar and grill food.
BurnetAggie99
Some Sequin Food & Drink suggestions you got Burnt Bean BBQ, Schulze's Pit Room, 1838 Grill, Sequin Brewing, Alex's Tacos, Billy Joe's Burgers, Davila's BBQ. Schultz Saloon.

DargelSkout
AG
New Braunfels is closer to those fields than Seguin and has better restaurant options. Creekside shopping center in New Braunfels has everything you need (grocery store, restaurants, etc), and it's probably a 10 min drive from the fields.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Burnt Bean is great, but - at least a few months ago - was still very popular and an hour plus wait on a Saturday. May have changed, but if not, probably not conducive to a weekend with some hard scheduling.

NB is good, but we're in the middle of peak summer so things are pretty busy on the weekends. I'm sure that's the case everywhere though. And, as the person above pointed out Creekside (vs going into downtown NB) is probably better at turning things over faster and has a bunch of options in a smaller area.
loveaTm
AG
I'm assuming it's the fields on I-35? That's where our boys played often. There's all the usual chains around there and they're good at handling crowds. If you end up with big blocks of time, New Braunfels has some gems. Krause's and Clear Springs come to mind first - both are fantastic food, relaxing, and are used to handling larger groups.
Whitetail
AG
Check out Clear Springs restaurant.
loveaTm
AG
JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

Burnt Bean is great, but - at least a few months ago - was still very popular and an hour plus wait on a Saturday. May have changed, but if not, probably not conducive to a weekend with some hard scheduling.

NB is good, but we're in the middle of peak summer so things are pretty busy on the weekends. I'm sure that's the case everywhere though. And, as the person above pointed out Creekside (vs going into downtown NB) is probably better at turning things over faster and has a bunch of options in a smaller area.

We finally made it to Burnt Bean in May and it was a wait but unlike some other places, the food lived up to the hype.

The frustrating thing is the way he runs the line is so stupid and is largely the reason for the long wait. But I guess it keeps the mystique alive or something with legends of long waits. So then you wait in line and get your food and pay for it only to have to go somewhere else to get your beer or dessert. So. Dumb.
Burdizzo
AG
Ditto on Clear Springs.
AgShaun00
AG
so many places in gruene to go. NB has a ton and some good german food also.
Matsui
AG
this
SanAntoneAg
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

Some Sequin Food & Drink suggestions you got Burnt Bean BBQ, Schulze's Pit Room, 1838 Grill, Sequin Brewing, Alex's Tacos, Billy Joe's Burgers, Davila's BBQ. Schultz Saloon.

There are no Qs in Seguin!
BiggiesLX
I think it's set up that way so him and the employees don't get overwhelmed.
loveaTm
AG
They just burden the customers.

Again, the food was worth it. I have MS and don't like to stand so it probably irked me more than most to get in the building and realize it was quite avoidable.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
loveaTm said:

They just burden the customers.

Again, the food was worth it. I have MS and don't like to stand so it probably irked me more than most to get in the building and realize it was quite avoidable.

I don't know that it makes as big a deal as you're suggesting. When we went, the line was for food - there was literally nobody getting drinks or dessert when we got ours, so even if we took that part entirely away, the line would have been the same.

Now, if you go on a day where there is a full line for that portion, then I could see that...it just wasn't what we experienced.

The biggest reason for the delay when we went, IMO, was that they didn't cut anything until you ordered. So if you ordered ribs, they cut them when you ordered them. Brisket? Cut when you ordered them. It was kind of one of those things where it felt like, hey - somebody is going to order ribs...just have a guy chopping up the ribs. Somebody is going to be wanting brisket, cut up more brisket.
loveaTm
AG
Sorry, I wasn't clear in my chief complaint but I completely agree with you. It's also that lots of places don't cut until you order but they're fast and then they pass it down and then someone pays rather than everything being bunched up and unnecessarily frenzied. BDaddy's in Helotes gets a lot of people through and manages to cut as you order, plus put a sandwich on the griddle, pull a baked potato, etc. The separate line was just the cherry on the top.

I didn't mean to make it a whole thing. Once again, the food was worth the hassle which is high praise considering my aggravation at the system.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.