Dr recommended I get a sleep study.. they did a referral

2,298 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by newbie11
AgShaun00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
and curious to what others have used and had success?

I was referred to fantastic sleep.
Beckdiesel03
AG
I'm also looking for a rec and in NB would be even better.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Sounds miserable

Good luck
newbie11
Imo sleep studies and Cpap for most people is a waste.
FitzChivalry
AG
I like this guy. Helped me with RLS and recovery from working a third shift schedule.

https://www.txmss.com/provider/avie-grunspan-md
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
I have a buddy that recently completed one, said he barely slept, it was cold as hell in the room and I haven't asked him about the follow up. Overall a pretty miserable experience. I would have to get so wasted prior to it to sleep it wouldn't be valid.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
UnderoosAg
AG
Went to Huebner Sleep Center. Went ok, but nothing special. Was used to getting to sleep about 130-200 am. When they shut out the lights about 1030 I knew it was gonna be a long night. Took forever to fall asleep, especially with all the stuff wired to you. Told my referring doc I didn't sleep a lot of that night. He just laughed and said no one really does. Did diagnose moderate sleep apnea and a CPAP has made a big difference.
Ginormus Ag
AG
You can do an at home sleep study. My dr sent me to a sleep clinic. I don't remember the name of place and there was nothing special about it. Just Google at home sleep study.
Discovery77
AG
Also went to Huebner Sleep center. Overall experience wasn't the best, but if you have sleep apnea, I would recommend getting it done. Yes, it's lights out at like 10ish, but you can stay on your phone or watch TV for a bit. Takes a while to get used to wearing the CPAP, but once i was out, I was woken up at around 5:30 AM and didn't even realize it.

I went back for a follow-up about 6 months later since I have been losing weight and they had to re-tritrate my machine. I am due for a one year follow up next spring.

TL/DR-cpap has made a huge difference and just make sure to go back if you think it is pushing too much air over time.
Beckdiesel03
AG
This is where I am hesitant about a sleep study because I'm about 90% it's insomnia and not apnea and to pay for a sleep study for nothing would piss me off. Does anyone do a study for not apnea?
Krazykat
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

I have a buddy that recently completed one, said he barely slept, it was cold as hell in the room and I haven't asked him about the follow up. Overall a pretty miserable experience. I would have to get so wasted prior to it to sleep it wouldn't be valid.

My issue was trying to sleep with all of the sensors stuck around your head with a ponytail of wires coming off of you. I barely slept during my study also.
newbie11
Just remember that sleep study places get paid to diagnose people with sleep apnea. If no one has sleep apnea, why have sleep study centers. Right?

The field is nebulous imo regarding criteria, how to read a study and decide if it meets those criteria, etc. I'd bet the US sleep study people are setting standards that re way low so more and more people get diagnosed with it. It ensures their survival.

Maybe more money should be spent causes of sleep apnea…like obesity and everything related to it. I know not everyone with sleep apnea is obese but it's a huge factor.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.