Vacation in San Antonio - Things to do

3,344 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jokershady
FamousAgg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'll be in town this Sunday- Wednesday staying at the Thompson near the river walk for a little getaway with the wife. Do y'all have any suggestions on things to do around town?

I'd like to revisit the Alamo, haven't been since elementary school field trips. Wife wants to get some good food on the river walk. What say you?
mwp02ag
AG
Hit up Elsewhere for great beer selection and some good burgers. Walk up to The Pearl and you have Boiler House (my favorite there), Cured, Southerleigh and the Food Hall among others. North St Mary's strip has Singh's, get the brisket. Our favorite expensive place here is La Fonda on Main, make a res for the patio under the oak tree. The zoo is worth seeing just for the hippos and rhinos.

If you see two skinny black labs walking down the River Walk between the Pearl and the boat locks say hello, that's prolly us.
p_bubel
Went to the rooftop bar at the Thompson last night, it was pretty decent.

I'd toss in a short trip down to Mission San Jose and possibly check out the nearby aquaduct.
FamousAgg
The wife mentioned 6 flags. Not sure I'm interested in doing that…

Thanks for the recommendations so far
p_bubel
I'll add that the Menger bar and the Esquire are worth a quick visit if you're in the area.
Roger That
AG
BattleGrackle said:

I didn't realize 12 year olds could get married.
sklipes
BattleGrackle said:

Too hot for that!

La Boulangerie - French pastries
Curry Boys - bbq/curry (near Singh's)
Mila/Press/Eclipse/Stranded - coffee, then walk around
FamousAgg
How is the aquarium?
Reload8098
AG
Roger That said:

BattleGrackle said:

I didn't realize 12 year olds could get married.
utah, get me two
Is that the place downtown where all the house shoes go to think they're fancy
LCE
AG
No to the aquarium
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Botanical Gardens is a nice outdoorsy thing to do. Way better than six flags.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
LCE
AG
I would take a day trip to Fredericksburg area. Stop for beer in Luckenbach. Altstadt Brewery is impressive. Nice easy drive.
Reload8098
AG
Yeah, Six Flags has a major trash factor.

Go float the Comal, or if that is too low right now? Check out the JW Marriott with the lazy river or the Hyatt Resort with the lazy river.

Sea World is close to the Hyatt Resort.

You could also see who's playing at John T. Floore's.
AG
Don't know your age or what you're into but some ideas:

• SA Missions (more than just the alamo)
  • Southtown/King William - walk the neighborhood, have a beer at the Friendly Spot.
  • Bracken Bat Cave - Largest bat colony in the world just north of town if you can get a ticket it's very interesting
  • Museum Reach/The Pearl - Check out some museums, eat some food, go for a walk on the less touristy part of the river.
LitreBoy
AG
LCE said:

I would take a day trip to Fredericksburg area. Stop for beer in Luckenbach. Altstadt Brewery is impressive. Nice easy drive.
Yes to this. Alternative is Real Ale in Blanco and Albert Icehouse in Albert.
AggieArchitect04
AG
Quote:

good food on the river walk

Doesn't exist really. The only good place directly on the River Walk is Boudro's. You could go to Mi Tierras if you want a touristy, cliche vibe.

Other things to do:
- We have a several breweries that are good but spread out across the city. If you're downtown I would recommend Roadmap, Kuntsler, Black Lab, Alamo.
- visiting the Alamo is quick. Menger bar is close by and good for a drink or two.
- visiting the missions south of town is worthwhile. Could also check out Hot Wells on the same trip.
- the Pearl on Saturday…can stroll around the farmer's market, grab a bite at Down on Grayson, or get margs at La Gloria.
- if you like hiking Government Canyon is pretty decent, but not at all close to you. It would probably be almost a full day. They have dinosaur footprints.
- one of my favorite things to do now and then is walk around King William and just check out the historic homes. Could get food/beer at Blue Star after (several other options in Southtown as well).
- I second Esquire Tavern. Great place for a craft cocktail and they have pretty good food too. Also home to the longest bar in Texas.
p_bubel
AggieArchitect04 said:

Quote:

good food on the river walk

Doesn't exist really. The only good place directly on the River Walk is Boudro's.

I will say I tried Domingo last week and enjoyed it. (It's on the river next to the Esquire in that new hotel at St Marys and Commerce.)
mwp02ag
AG
Can't believe I forgot to add Tycoon Flats to the Tobin Hill list. Aggie owned with great burgers and the Diablo margarita is on point.
FamousAgg
We went to esquire last night. Tried the Waghu and the Bison burgers. Bison was fantastic .

This morning went to the Whitt Museum and eating at Boiler House near Pearl for lunch
Burdizzo
AG
mwp02ag said:

Can't believe I forgot to add Tycoon Flats to the Tobin Hill list. Aggie owned with great burgers and the Diablo margarita is on point.

Our kids go to school with their kids. They are really good people.
FamousAgg
Boiler house

Room temp flat beer, inedible potatoes/overcooked, slow service. This is probably the first time in years that I have told the waiter the food was bad.

Dinner with family tonight. Need a recommendation for a casual lunch and a nice dinner in the downtown area
Sports-Ag
AG
Try some restaurants in Southtown which is the King William area. Nice area to walk, grab a bite, and drink.

Type the friendly spot (bar) on your phone and see the restaurants around there for a casual environment.
sklipes
BattleGrackle said:

Boiler house

Room temp flat beer, inedible potatoes/overcooked, slow service. This is probably the first time in years that I have told the waiter the food was bad.

Dinner with family tonight. Need a recommendation for a casual lunch and a nice dinner in the downtown area

Unfortunately heard the same regarding Boiler House recently. It used to be pretty decent spot.

Casual lunch - Extra Fine
Nice dinner - Maverick, Upscale

Oh yeah, Double Standard just opened up too (more downtown off of Houston St.)
mwp02ag
AG
BattleGrackle said:

Boiler house

Ouch, it's been almost a year since I have been. I'll have to go check it out and confirm.
FamousAgg
My sister lives in town recommended she recommended "the station" for something casual and "Cured" for a nice meal.

Planning on checking out the Alamo and Buckhorn this morning to see the mounts that they have.
p_bubel
Station Cafe?
p_bubel
I'll add Schilo's for something casual for lunch downtown.
jokershady
AG
LCE said:

No to the aquarium

Just curious we talking about the same aquarium?

I just came back from a family trip to San Antonio and thought it was awesome. My kids (11, 9, and 4) thought it was great and I was shocked at how much folks were allowed to interact with the animals.

Granted it was a little small but when you can dang near pet and feed everything in there it makes up for it.

Now if you don't have kids…..ya…..might be worth passing on.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.