BCAD 2022

5,965 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Nom de Plume
The Lurker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Welp, appraised values posted for 2022. 33.33% increase for the appraised value in 78230.
GCRanger
AG
27% in 09 (non AHISD)
NastyNate
30% for me in 78260.
LCE
AG
28% 78240. Crazy.
The Dog Lord
AG
30.6% here in 78230. It looks like a third of the increase is assessed this year, so I assume the remaining portions will come over the next two?
lp01
AG
You need to quit posting your new patio additions and upgrades on here.
Roger That
AG
35% in 78260.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Comal county here (new Braunfels).

Over double from last year. We bought in may of 21 and they appraisal is 20% more than we paid (which is like 120% of the appraisal from 2021).

Hoping they will honor the closing price from our sale.
Since we moved in last year this is their uncapped year so we'll see how much they put the screws to us.

Haven't gotten it in the mail yet but was on the cad site for another reason and this was the recently applied value
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
The Dog Lord said:

30.6% here in 78230. It looks like a third of the increase is assessed this year, so I assume the remaining portions will come over the next two?

It's likely your homestead exemption capping the increase at 10%. They'll just keep bumping you 10% each year until until they get you where they want you
04.arch.ag
AG
Government Hill rental property went from 175k to 333k. Yikes. Time to raise rent
valtosca
AG
Everyone must protest… this is the only tax you can effectively negotiate!
bam02
AG
Eff I just looked at mine and my jaw dropped. Calculated at 21% so now I guess I'm actually fortunate compared to others.
bam02
AG
The Dog Lord said:

What are you looking at that breaks it down like that? I only know to go look at the bcad site and search my own address. Is there more info available? I only see the appraisal by year.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Not sure if bcad is different, but you should see an "appraised" value (ie what they say it is worth) along with an "assessed value" which is what they are basing your taxes on which can be different based on things like homestead exemptions which cap how much they can raise it.

For instance, if your home was 300 last year and now they think it is worh 500, you'll see "appraised" at 500, but (assuming homestead) "assessed" at $330 because they can only go up 10% annually.
The Dog Lord
AG
What JDCAG said. Since mine went up around 30%, they'll be increasing it by 10% this year and then again until it catches up.

For those that have protested before, who did you use (if anyone). We are getting ready to sell soon, and our realtor is estimating $50k+ lower than BCAD (although we will see what happens). Since we're already working with her, could we just use her comps as our basis for protesting?
p_bubel
Quote:

Since we're already working with her, could we just use her comps as our basis for protesting?
Yes.

Oh, and, 19% here in King William. Which, is not bad. It's still below market value. Next year should be an epic disaster though.

This grumpy, yet grateful, gentrifier is going to be gradually gentrified out of the hood.

The values aren't the issue. It's the tax rate from the city and most burdensomely the school district that kills me.

And y'all.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
The Dog Lord said:

What JDCAG said. Since mine went up around 30%, they'll be increasing it by 10% this year and then again until it catches up.

For those that have protested before, who did you use (if anyone). We are getting ready to sell soon, and our realtor is estimating $50k+ lower than BCAD (although we will see what happens). Since we're already working with her, could we just use her comps as our basis for protesting?
I've always done it myself. Take pictures and document anything that needs any significant repairs. Submit your protest and be ready with the photos and anything budget wise to back it up. Last year it took all of about 8 minutes in our call, I got the increase cut by 60%. You can pay someone, but get in early, they fill up quick and it will be insane this year I'm betting.

I opened mine, got pissed, and tossed it in the drawer. Not gonna look at it for a week or so.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
UnderoosAg
AG
Up 27%. 78254. They can eat a Costco value pack bowl of dicks.
jgh85Ag
AG
44% 78154. Up 93k to 306k.
Vernada
AG
Comal 50.3% on my no HS exemption house. FML.

66.2% inc on my HS house... at least that one is capped at 10% instead of market value.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Yeah, based on my looking at my own (and crying) and my neighbors (thank the lord, they're all homestead exempted and capped), it looks like 60-90% increases are pretty common. As I mentioned, our home appraisal went up 2.25x and our land value portion of that went up over 3x since 2021.
Vernada
AG
JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

Yeah, based on my looking at my own (and crying) and my neighbors (thank the lord, they're all homestead exempted and capped), it looks like 60-90% increases are pretty common. As I mentioned, our home appraisal went up 2.25x and our land value portion of that went up over 3x since 2021.
I just don't see how there's not caps in place to slow down appraised values.

I guess you really only suffer the most if you don't have a HS exemption and there might be a tendency to say eff those people since those homes are probably rentals or 2nd homes. We're a bit unique bec we own the 2nd home so my kids' grandparents can afford to live in NB so we're just stuck with a huge tax increase - no one to pass it onto.
F4GIB71
I am also in North Comal county. My appraisal went up 45%. Only good news is my taxes are frozen for over 65 plus homestead and DV. I feel for the late 30, early 40 crowd with kids to educate. Many buy on the high end of their budget, then get hit with significant tax increases. If homestead, they can't increase the actual tax more than 10%, but if the appraisal went up 45 like mine, they'll be hit with 10% every year for at least the next four years.
Nom de Plume
AG
Current home +37% (still 20% below market)
Lot we own +41% (this is now priced slightly above market)

We use O'Connor to protest every year
A New Hope
What a joke. Jacked my house up 40%. That's absurd.
aggiejumper
AG
This might just be the year that sends people over the edge and laws do change. I'm all for a lower HS cap and a cap on commercial too. Businesses can't take all the brunt of this either.
MookieBlaylock
AG
aggiejumper said:

This might just be the year that sends people over the edge and laws do change. I'm all for a lower HS cap and a cap on commercial too. Businesses can't take all the brunt of this either.

i am in- what time we bringing the pitch forks?
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

aggiejumper said:

i am in- what time we bringing the pitch forks?

C'mon Man, we are too lazy to do this unless it's for a Spurs championship or fightin' for our family spots in Brackenridge park this last week.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
Vernada
AG
Nom de Plume said:

Current home +37% (still 20% below market)
Lot we own +41% (this is now priced slightly above market)

We use O'Connor to protest every year
what is O'connor's fee structure? I'm not seeing a direct answer on the website.
Nom de Plume
AG
Half of what they save you.
bam02
AG
Anyone have a link with info on the protest process? I found a form on the bcad site but it's for 2021.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Haven't looked specifically at bcad, but in general you should get an ID when you get your appraisal letter. When I protested in Dallas a few years ago, you would go online and present your protest and suggested value. They would then make you an "offer" (or accept yours) and if you chose to decline, you would set an actual date for the in person protest.

I think in all cases you will start online but could be wrong.
Pooh Ah
AG
(1) write to the Mayor
(2) Write your state rep
(3) Write the Governor

Unrestricted growth of government and tax growth is outstripping wages

Texans will get taxed out of there homes.
dunlay
AG
Up 32% in NW Bexar county... thinking about getting an attorney to draw up a purchase agreement and try to force BAD to buy it at what they think the value is.
Make no mistake, BAD is acting as a taxing agency, not an appraisal agency. This needs to stop, and everyone needs to call your State representatives. Personally, my tax bill is now higher than my mortgage.
"Democracy: 2 wolves and 1 sheep deciding one what to have for supper. Liberty: 2 wolves set on supper, and finding 1 well armed sheep."
NastyNate
Same process for Bexar. I do it every year to varying degrees of success. Will be a bit different this year in that I will likely not see a reduction in my bill because I can't see a way to get it anywhere near the 10% homestead cap. I'll just be shooting to keep the value down as much as possible for benefit in future years….hopefully.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.