Will/Estate Planning lawyer

2,647 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by george1992
NastyNate
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone have a recommendation for a lawyer that can draw up a will and help with some general family estate planning? Want to explore options for trusts, tax planning, etc.
Brush Country Ag
AG
Mark Commuzie, Jackson Walker LLP. Great lawyer, Aggie, and person.

He is in the Weston Center downtown.
NastyNate
Great! Thank you, I appreciate it.
Brush Country Ag
End Of Message
AG
Harry Wolff, II or III

Uhl, Fitzsimons, Jewett, Burton, Wolff & Rangel
Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God.
bam02
AG
We used Chris Pettit based on a recommendation here. We were very happy.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Bit of a probing question, but how much are we talking about, roughly? My mom's assets are pretty simple, house, car, a few different accounts (checking, savings, CDs). I'm getting a copy of her will she hasn't updated since dad passed and need to get things taken care of.
End Of Message
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

Bit of a probing question, but how much are we talking about, roughly? My mom's assets are pretty simple, house, car, a few different accounts (checking, savings, CDs). I'm getting a copy of her will she hasn't updated since dad passed and need to get things taken care of.
It will depend on how the attorney you choose structures fees (i.e., hourly, flat, etc.).

Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God.
bam02
AG
Ours was pretty basic. Think we paid $600 but that was 10 years ago.
NastyNate
Thanks for the additional recommendations. Good question on the cost too. Was thinking It would start at about $1k so it doesn't appear I'm far off if that was 10 years ago.
f2foxes2001
AG
Go with Wolff III or Dick Tye of McReynolds & Tye. Dick is an Ag and a damn good board certified estate planner. I like both and have used both for my clients. Good practitioners and even better people.
NastyNate
Thanks! I'll give them a call too.
george1992
bam02 said:

He's an personal injury lawyer that does cookie cutter docs. I'm guessing the price made you happy. I've had to help clean up his mess a couple times. Caveat emptor on this guy. Go to someone that is specialized in estate planning. If you go to their website and the first thing you see is information on how to make the most out of your injury, run and find a respectable lawyer. There are none that practice personal injury law. It's the lowest form of life in the legal profession.

Try to find his estate planning experience on his website. Best of luck there.
bam02
AG
george1992 said:

bam02 said:

He's an personal injury lawyer that does cookie cutter docs. I'm guessing the price made you happy. I've had to help clean up his mess a couple times. Caveat emptor on this guy. Go to someone that is specialized in estate planning. If you go to their website and the first thing you see is information on how to make the most out of your injury, run and find a respectable lawyer. There are none that practice personal injury law. It's the lowest form of life in the legal profession.

Try to find his estate planning experience on his website. Best of luck there.

Well I don't know. It was based off of a recommendation here for an estate planning lawyer. I generally think of lawyers as the bottom of the barrel so I don't differentiate too much based on specialty.
Roger That
AG
Marty Roos is a good Ag and does just what you're asking about.
NastyNate
Spoke to Mark Commuzie with Jackson Walker LLP yesterday. Great guy. Spent an hour on the phone with me going over options and discussing some questions with him on another issue. Never felt rushed and with what these guys bill per hour, that is impressive. My wife and I will definitely go with them for our will. He was the most expensive option but he was great and the other guys seemed to be treating it like a check the box exercise. Mark actually seemed to care about doing what was right and what we needed.

There were some questions on cost so I figured I'd share what I found. Cost ranged from $500-$750 per person. So $1000-$1500 for me and my wife. That range is from 4 different law offices i spoke with. I'll say that they will always be particular to your situation and whether you have kids or a super complicated estate it could affect the price. We have a "normal" estate with young children. That includes our wills/medical POA and other misc documents and trusts for the kids.

Thanks again for the recommendations.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AgCat93
AG
Matt Spahn. Good Ag and exclusively does estate planning. Nothing else.

www.spahnlawfirm.com
george1992
AgCat93 said:

Matt Spahn. Good Ag and exclusively does estate planning. Nothing else.

www.spahnlawfirm.com
He has the heart of a teacher.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.