Looking for a Vet (StoneOak/Bulverde)

1,492 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by GinaLinetti
adamsbq06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey Tex Ags,
My wife and I adopted my in-laws GSD and she is coming up on her annual vet appointment.

Since the GSD is really my daughter's dog I don't want to just take her anywhere.

Anyone know of any Aggie Vets in the area I should use?

TIA

Adamsbq06
Pendragon12
AG
I responded to your thread on Outdoors, but figured I'd post here too in case some San Antonio folks disagree...this is only my opinion and my experience after all.

Not a vet, just a pet owner.

I really like Dr. Fehlis and Dr. McGlothlin at Cibolo Canyons Vet at Bulverde and TPC Pkwy. They aren't the cheapest, but I trust the advice I've gotten from them. Both went to A&M, and the only reason I quit going there is because I moved.

I also really like Dr. Hey, who has come highly recommended by my pet sitters and others, and Dr. Grant (not an Aggie but I love her and so does my Lab) at Deerfield at Blanco and Bitters. Deerfield is a big practice, so if you prefer a certain vet, make sure to request them. Dr. Hey only works M-W I believe.
Macarthur
Dr. Anne James at Blanco Crossing has been ours for a number of years. Really good vet and pretty conservative in her approach. Doesn't try to upsell you all the time.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Pendragon12 said:

I also really like Dr. Hey, who has come highly recommended by my pet sitters and others, and Dr. Grant (not an Aggie but I love her and so does my Lab) at Deerfield at Blanco and Bitters. Deerfield is a big practice, so if you prefer a certain vet, make sure to request them. Dr. Hey only works M-W I believe.
He was absolutely fabulous to both our dogs all through the years of their lives. Very reasonable, compassionate, and grounded.
Pendragon12
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

Pendragon12 said:

He was absolutely fabulous to both our dogs all through the years of their lives. Very reasonable, compassionate, and grounded.
I'll be completely honest, I got turned off by Dr. Hey during my new Lab pup's first vet visit. He's a little more old school in how he approaches dog behavior modification (not inappropriate at all, just different than me), which is fine overall, but just rubbed me the wrong way that first visit.

I saw Dr. Grant after for vaccines because she was available when I was, and she was awesome. That said, my pup had an orthopedic issue recently, and at 7 months I didn't want to take a cautious approach. Dr. Hey ended up stepping in after another vet (not named here) at Deerfield made a diagnosis that I don't think others would have, and he was awesome. His experience and knowledge really showed when dealing with the front leg lameness. We still see Dr. Grant because she strikes the right balance of understanding my over-protective pet parent concerns but not ordering anything unnecessary (and my dog is obsessed with her), but I wouldn't hesitate to take my pup back to Dr. Hey...he was, like you said, very reasonable and grounded and compassionate. He felt similarly to me that if the limping continued, he wasn't going to be satisfied to just wait it out.

Dr. Grant and Dr. Hey ended up both consulting on my dog throughout this time (again, Grant was available, Hey wasn't but they ended up working together). I really enjoy working with both vets. Dr. Hey has the better pedigree from what I can tell between the two, which I believe can matter. But Dr. Grant has been awesome with my wild Lab child so we'll keep seeing her for now.
bonfarr
AG
Cibolo Canyon is good but they are on the high end price wise. They are on TPC Parkway.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
Holly Golightly
AG
Macarthur said:

Dr. Anne James at Blanco Crossing has been ours for a number of years. Really good vet and pretty conservative in her approach. Doesn't try to upsell you all the time.

I second this. I have taken my dogs to her for over 20 years now.
GinaLinetti
AG
Love Deerfield as well
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.