Riverwalk restaurant recommendations

3,612 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AggieArchitect04
1836er
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll be in SA later this week. Looking for recommendations for a couple meals along Riverwalk... at least one tex-mex.
who?mikejones
AG
Dont tex mex on the river. Just go to Rosarios. Close enough.
1836er
AG
Thanks for the suggestion. According to the map online it looks like it might be walking distance from the hotel (although I'm not very familiar with the area... last time I visited SA was late 20th century). Any non-Mexican restaurants along the Riverwalk you recommend.
who?mikejones
AG
Well, I don't live there anymore so I'm out of date. But, biga on the banks was one of my faves. Pricey but very good.

Walk to roasrios and hang out in southtown. Go to the friendly spot and grab a beer across the street.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Yeah, nothing wrong with walking along the river walk and grabbing a few drinks, but for food, move off out of there for better food and value. Stop by the Esquire and have a drink. Also stop in the Menger Bar and see some history. If you don't make it to Rosarios and still want Tex mex, pop in to La margarita or Mi tierra for the experience you want. Check the map, the south town area isn't too far away, grab an Uber if it's too hot, won't cost much.
p_bubel
The walk direct from downtown along the surface streets to King William wouldn't take long, but I would suggest an easy stroll along the riverwalk starting at Nueva St and pop up at Arsenal and cut through the neighborhood.

It'll take a little longer, but the walk would be more enjoyable.
BlackLab
AG
Doesn't Rosario's own Acenar? When I went recently it was pretty similar and very good.
p_bubel
BlackLab said:

Doesn't Rosario's own Acenar? When I went recently it was pretty similar and very good.
Yep. Lisa Wong still owns it I believe. Bruce Auden (Biga on the Banks) had a hand in it too, IIRC.

I haven't been there in years, but we enjoyed it. I wouldn't call it TexMex though.
AG
p_bubel said:

The walk direct from downtown along the surface streets to King William wouldn't take long, but I would suggest an easy stroll along the riverwalk starting at Nueva St and pop up at Arsenal and cut through the neighborhood.

It'll take a little longer, but the walk would be more enjoyable.
Use to do that when I worked downtown, great suggestion.
SA68AG
AG
Budros and Biga on the Bank
OilFieldIRI
S
Acenar is decent. They make a great mojito and you can make reservations using the open table app so you never have to wait.
1836er
AG
Thanx again for the feedback
1836er
AG
So I went by Rosario's for a late lunch today... but had to call it off as I couldn't find anywhere to park (that I was willing to leave my truck). It's too far to walk to from where I'm staying... but I might give it another try before I leave town.
BurnetAggie99
The Esquire Tavern is good place for lunch and a drink
1836er
AG
Even though it was super hot outside... I walked to Rosario's this afternoon. I probably should have ordered something more adventuresome, but the chicken flauta flautas were good.
Proudag06
AG
Bump. 10 year anniversary trip to SA coming up. Would like a nicer "anniversary" dinner and then other good spots for a breakfast, couple of lunches and a dinner.
AG
Bliss for anniversary.

Magnolia pancake house for breakfast.

AG
Bliss for anniversary.

Magnolia pancake house for breakfast.

BlackLab
AG
Bohanons for anniversary.
Halconblack
AG
Anniversary dinner considerations should include:
Bohannons (Steaks with excellent service although the Seabass is my favorite)
Biga on the Banks
Bella on the River (intimate)

Breakfast considerations
La Fonda on Main (Excellent Mexican fare in a classy setting)
Feast (Southtown brunch spot)
Las Canarias (high class and expensive brunch setup)
Nola (beignets in a low key setting)

Lunch
The Pearl (any of the food court places and eat outside are fun)
Shuck Shack (Fun out door vibe with oysters)
Pig Pen (fun outdoor vibe with Brisket Nachos)
v/r
bonfarr
AG
I wouldn't eat anywhere on the River Walk.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
SW AG80
AG
Another good breakfast place is Guenther House. Short Uber from downtown. I like it better than Magnolia and it is much closer to downtown.
Discovery77
AG

I would check out some of these if you have the time.
Battalion
Feast
Range
Rebelle

Enjoy!
dg77ag
AG
Has anyone been to Casa Rio lately, my wife went last month and reported the food was actually better than she remembered. The manager informed her that they have made changes.
James Walker `02
AG
I love Mexican Manhattan on Soledad. From the street it looks like a hole in the wall but go in and ask to sit on the patio.
Good Bull Jones 17
AG
My family has always gone to Casa Rio. Always loved it. Any time we try to get adventurous and try somewhere else, it does suck. But really do recommend Casa Rio.
James Walker `02
AG
I cannot speak from recent experience on Casa Rio as I haven't been there in 10-15 years but it historically was very touristy. I like Mexican Manhattan because it is the exact opposite. As an added bonus the Owners have several kids that are Aggies.
gringogambler
AG
One of the few places we consider going to eat on the River Walk is Boudro's.
Been consistently good for years. For Mexican, La Margarita and Mi Tierra's for the downtown flavor and atmosphere - (walking distance from River Walk).

http://www.boudros.com/
mslags97
AG
Good Bull Jones 17 said:

My family has always gone to Casa Rio. Always loved it. Any time we try to get adventurous and try somewhere else, it does suck. But really do recommend Casa Rio.

Sorry to disagree, but this is just bad Tex-Mex
AggieArchitect04
AG
The only good place on the Riverwalk is Boudro's.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.