Just moved South of Helotes at Culebra..,

2,317 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JimbosHatBarelyFits
cancia
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What is there to do, looking for kids Dr,, Family Dr, TKD for kids. Kids don't like the area, as we come from Arlington. Culture is definitely different....thoughts on Mexican food and things to do. We miss our friends.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
El Chapparal in Helotes. Lupe Tortilla is my favorite "chain" tex mex closest one to you would be at the Rim at La Cantera. Not really sure what all is over on that side of town anymore besides Main Event at 151 going towards 410. I don't frequent that side of town anymore.
LCE
AG
Culebra & 1604?
valtosca
AG
I used to live in Alamo Ranch and the area has all the chains and plenty of shopping.

How old are your kids? If you have young kids Sea World is a good option. A season pass there will allow you to go at your leisure and not worry about having to spend the whole day there to get your money's worth. We often used to just go to the shows.

Catholic? St. Anthony Mary Claret off of Roft road has a active Youth Group.

The National Shooting Complex has open shooting Thursdays and Saturdays. The have a great Sporting Clays course along with Skeet.

Government Canyon is nearby for hiking and mountain biking.

Hill Country Resort is a good 27 hole golf course. ~$55 gets you 18 holes.

Casa Blanca movie theater at Alamo Ranch Parkway/1604.

Once you share the kid's age range that may trigger some more ideas. The area does have options.
aggie_fan13
AG
Have fun with traffic
some men you just cant reach ...
Humorous Username
AG
azulAg said:

Have fun with traffic

Dang. Beat me to it.

If you can't adjust to the Hispanic culture here, then you're out of luck. SA is not Arlington. It won't change for you. You'll find things here that you'll like soon enough.

What you won't enjoy, for now, is the incredible lack of sufficient traffic flow in the area where you're living. We live close-ish to that area, and have looked at homes there twice now, but we can never bring ourselves to move out that way due to the traffic.
aggie_fan13
AG
Thats the problem with SA, its a very sleepy big city. People take their time driving, and have nowhere to rush too. Also beware of tickets OP, SAPD has speed traps everywhere. And dont drive fast in the rain, SA drivers get twice as ****ty. Take it from me you dont want to spin out, total your truck, hit a tree and bust your head open..
88planoAg
AG
Give it time. Every major move I've made it has taken a year to a year and a half to adjust. Kids tend to be more adaptable - the plus about moving in the middle of the school year (assuming they are that age) is they immediately have a bunch of new people with whom to interact (unlike summer when it is much more difficult to meet new kids). Moving sucks.

Fiesta is coming up soon - find some events to attend and try it out.
aggie_fan13
AG
OP stay away from the eastside, lock your car, stay away from the southside and parts of the west side. If you go downtown be aware of your surroundings, lots of homeless in certain parts.
Sports-Ag
AG
Restaurants and stores at 1604 and Culebra, 1604 and bandera and 1604 and IH10 (Six Flags area).
aggie_fan13
AG
Stay away from stone oak as well , people who live there just suck
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
azulAg said:

Stay away from stone oak as well , people who live there just suck

Not true. We are pretty cool!
aggie_fan13
AG
lies
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Lol well yea the people in Stone Oak are bunch of bums but I'm in the north side of of Canyon springs so I pass the test haha
cancia
Thanks so much for all the info. I am Catholic and my son is 12 and daughter is 10. They are die hard Aggies, we go to every Football game and tailgate. Really appreciate all the feedback, traffic is not a itoo much of an adjustment. Arlington is just as bad. I think the only thing is that the Metroplex has done a little better at planning the infrastructure. Culebra is actually a piece a cake compared to Cooper Street.

AggieDarlin
AG
Just a helpful note...if you live near Culebra and 1604/Alamo Ranch area, do not use Helotes as a reference point. It'll just confuse people because those two areas are definitely separate even if they're a 15 min drive from each other on 1560. If you lived on or near Bandera outside 1604, mentioning Helotes would be appropriate.

You can say 1604/Culebra, Alamo Ranch area, or "near Sea World" and people won't scratch their heads.
tx1c
AG
Quote:

looking for kids Dr
I live closer to Bandera Rd. than you just outside 1604. We take our kids to Helotes Pediatrics; it's just inside 1604 on Bandera.
AAM02
AG
azulAg said:

Thats the problem with SA, its a very sleepy big city. People take their time driving, and have nowhere to rush too. Also beware of tickets OP, SAPD has speed traps everywhere. And dont drive fast in the rain, SA drivers get twice as ****ty. Take it from me you dont want to spin out, total your truck, hit a tree and bust your head open..
This is pretty funny.
Macarthur
Humorous Username said:

azulAg said:

Have fun with traffic

Dang. Beat me to it.

If you can't adjust to the Hispanic culture here, then you're out of luck. SA is not Arlington. It won't change for you. You'll find things here that you'll like soon enough.

What you won't enjoy, for now, is the incredible lack of sufficient traffic flow in the area where you're living. We live close-ish to that area, and have looked at homes there twice now, but we can never bring ourselves to move out that way due to the traffic.
It was incredibly short sighted of the city to not start work on 1604 10 or more years ago. When they do get to making 1604 wider through the bulk of north SA, it's going to make an already bad situation unbearable.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Macarthur said:

Humorous Username said:

azulAg said:

Have fun with traffic

Dang. Beat me to it.

It was incredibly short sighted of the city to not start work on 1604 10 or more years ago. When they do get to making 1604 wider through the bulk of north SA, it's going to make an already bad situation unbearable.
I'm thankful I will not be living in this city when that project starts. It will be a while before it does though. I personally search weekly for plans on that job but I'm hearing 1604 widening won't happen until after phase 1 of the 281 project won't finish. 1604 should already be at least 4 lines in each direction from highway 90 all the way around the north until the 35 intersection.
tbirdspur2010
AG
Humorous Username said:

azulAg said:

Have fun with traffic

If you can't adjust to the Hispanic culture here.....
Then GTFO!

Quote:

SA is not Arlington
This gladdens me.
tbirdspur2010
AG
Macarthur said:

Humorous Username said:

azulAg said:

Have fun with traffic

Dang. Beat me to it.

City far outstripped most growth calculations, tbh. It sucks now, but I doubt that city planners would have successfully raised funding far enough in advance for the necessary infrastructure (I-10/1604 interchange notwithstanding--that thing has been a disaster from day 1 haha).
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
I live in between Braun and Bandera at 1604. I enjoy the area. Have the shops at bandera pointe, close to dominion, close to culebra and 151. I can handle the traffic for a couple times day. It adds an extra 20 minutes of traffic per day on average.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.