what route to you take to C-Stat?

1,474 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by KnightlyGent
SA Ag 91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Durimg my time at A&M I always took highway 21,. Over the past few years the drive between San Marcos and Bastrop is becoming less and less enjoyable - seems like there is more traffic etc.

I am heading up tonight around 6:00 or so and considering taking I-35 up to south Austin and jumping on 71 (the road that goes through Bastrop) and then picking up 21 in Bastrop. Appears to be only 10 mins longer.

Any input?

TIA
who?mikejones
AG
130 to 21?
SA Ag 91
AG
I should have mentioned, I am coming from Boerne so going all the way through SA and out past Seguin is a real beat down. Also, wouldn't that only cut off about half of the San Marcos to Bastrop drive that I am trying to avoid?

Or am I missing something?
Commander Bob
AG
71 from Austin to Bastrop has a lot of traffic and construction right now, not sure that it is that much better than 21.
GinaLinetti
AG
I prefer to skip bastrop but I've gone 10 to liking then to bastrop. Or down to schulenburg and across to 21. Takes the same amount of time either way.
Burdizzo
AG
One possibility is to take 80 east from San Marcos to Martindale (watch your speed), 142 to Lockhart, FM 20 to Bastrop. It is still 2-lane most of the way, and a little longer, but at least the scenery is different, plus BBQ.

It is hard to avoid that stretch of TX 21. It is still the fastest route, but the two lanes are dangerous. The state really needs to upgrade it to 4 lanes. I grew up in Niederwald. Even the locals hate all the traffic.
hillcountryag86
AG
CherryLodes said:

I prefer to skip bastrop but I've gone 10 to liking then to bastrop.
Took this a couple of years ago when there was flooding on 21. It's really a good drive to Bastrop without much traffic. But getting thru SA from Bandera is a pain.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Yesterday was a beating to get to the bcs

4 plus hours from 35
Danther37
AG
Depending on when and where I'm leaving from, I've found some more desirable options.

I've found its worth the couple of bucks to take 35 if possible all the way to the toll road in Buda which cuts over to 21, basically avoiding the least desirable section of 21. Intersects with 21 a little bit before Bastrop which is tolerable traffic-wise.

When leaving after work though from downtown on a Friday for instance, 35 isnt really an option so I'll take I-10 to the toll road entrance just past seguin and cut over to 21 that way. Its a little longer distance but no one is ever on that toll road and you can make up a lot of time with the high speed limit.

Just a suggestion that has made my trips to CS a lot more tolerable.
loveaTm
AG
My mom was killed on 21 in Hays County coming from Bryan to San Antonio so I really hate that route but even though we have tried the other alternatives I usually just end up on 21 out of habit.

Our son is at A&M and I just couldn't stand the thought of him on that 2 lane Hwy 21 so he dutifully took the toll road to get to Bastrop from the first time he went without us. He likes it because it's 85 MPH. When I try it it feels like forever to get to the toll road (we're coming from Helotes). Just seems like there is not a great way to get to Aggieland.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Same for me. We bought our daughter the toll pass just for that reason. If Mrs Shoe and I go up its on the toll road, if I go by myself, it's 21 out of habit.
aggiejim70
AG
IH 10 to Seguin left on 123 to FM 20 into Bastrop and 21 to CS
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
KnightlyGent
AG
A lot of my friends use 10 to 304 or 20 to Bastrop. There is not much traffic but the roads suck and it's longer so usually just take 21.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.