RIP 92.5 the Outlaw

6,718 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by superunknown
AAM02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.925theoutlaw.com/pages/countdown.html

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/73789/the-outlaw-becomes-the-patriot-in-san-antonio

PLUM LOCO
AG
It looks like it is taking on the Talk 106.7 format...
bam02
AG
Boortz!
fido00
AG
Thats BS, I really liked the outlaw! Dammit!
Commander Bob
AG
Well, crap.
Reel Aggies
AG
There is no other station that even compares to replace it! This is the worst news. Just what we need, another talk radio station. 92.1 plays too much "folksy stuff" and I cannot stand Nashville country. Hank, you guys will be missed.

bam02
AG
I agree 92.1 plays a lot of folksy stuff that I don't care for, but I will take that station any day over 92.5. They play some pretty cheesy stuff and those Hank T. Moon bits were excruciatingly dumb.
BoozerRed78
AG
Hank got fired well over a year ago, they've been using his voiceovers all this time. I can't believe they kept it going this long.

If 92.1 ain't your style, try this around the house or office

http://www.radiofreetexas.org/
Beckdiesel03
AG
I had stopped listening to them as much because they started playing a lot of the same crappy music over and over as well as Hank T Moon being annoying and stupid.
AAM02
AG
That station was Hank's baby.

I worked at CCR when it was born. That station generated a lot of good times for a lot of people.

That said, they got rid of Hank a long time ago, and that's when it basically went on auto-pilot. I was told by friends that work there that there just wasn't much quality Texas Music being produced.

I think the real issue is that the signal of the station is terrible, and any station you put on there doesn't really have a shot at making any significant waves. As a Texas music fan, I wish "The Armadillo" had been around during the recent (past 10 or so years) surge of Texas music and artists. That station had a strong enough signal to carry a movement like that to the masses. Unfortunately the timing was off, and the Armadillo went off air ... back in '90-'92? I forget. I was young.

I can see how this is a smart move for CCR, 'cause they already have a sales staff in place used to selling the News/Talk format, and they can package "The Patriot" in with their larger stations to make buys with the cluster more attractive.

If you're a fan of one of those syndicated personalities, this may be a good thing for you. For me it's pretty disappointing.
Commander Bob
AG
quote:
I think the real issue is that the signal of the station is terrible, and any station you put on there doesn't really have a shot at making any significant waves

It was great for me because I have to drive south for work a lot, and I could get the signal all the time while driving. not so much near my place on the nw side.
Kramer
AG
I listened for a while. Liked the station. Didn't like the signal. Quickly tired of the Texas Music they chose to play because every song was about drinking.
PLUM LOCO
AG
I can't pick it up because "The Ranch" 92.3 out of Kerrville bleeds all over the 91's and 92's spectrum...
Reel Aggies
AG
Why did Hank Moon introduce Bleu Edmondson at County Line last night if he was fired from the outlaw? I could have sworn the outlaw van and canopy were there...
BoozerRed78
AG
Because he's Hank Freakin' Moon, man.
Allen76
AG
Is there another station that plays anything similar? I liked going to 92.5 every once in a while for something different. Just like any station, if you listen long enough, you start hearing the same songs over & over and 92.5 at least gave us something different than any other station available in S.A. that I know of.
wadd96
AG
CRAP. That's all I listen to when I am out at the ranch. Good thing the tractor radio has an iPod jack.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
-Thomas Jefferson
AAM02
AG
County Line loves Hank Moon and want him there.

Hank actually has a cult following. It's entertaining to watch people's reactions when they realize they're standing next to HANK MOON!

I'm a fan.
BoozerRed78
AG
Allen: With the demise of The Outlaw, you've got two choices for Americana/Texas music on FM radio in the SA area:

KNBT in New Braunfels: http://www.knbt.fm/site/

KSYM in San Antonio, which is San Antonio College's radio station. In the afternoons 3-7 pm they have Third Coast Music Network, which is Americana/Texas, to include local artists.

http://www.alamo.edu/sac/ksym/index.htm

http://www.alamo.edu/sac/ksym/tcmn.htm
mothball
I can't stand Hank T. Moon
AAM02
AG
quote:
I can't stand Hank T. Moon

ACH 08 ... you've just been outlawed.
f2foxes2001
AG
I was crushed last night to flip the dial and find "the Patriot". WTF was the next thing to fly out of my mouth. I say that as a Conservative, but I love Texas Music and I enjoyed Hank T. Moon. I didn't know however, that he had long been fired and they were letting the station rot or bleed to death. I am crushed that Texas Music is now no longer available in SA. I listen to 92.1 at times, but it does get folksy. I want old skewl outlaw/Texas Country, not that Nashville sh*t. I think the tough thing that Texas Music is facing is that the new talent isn't as good and the Gold Standard Bands, Morrow, Fowler, Ragweed are getting to rock and rollish. I would like to see more Jarrod Birmingham, Tommy Alverson, Stoney LaRue, Boland and less Eli Young/Emory Quinn stuff.
mothball
quote:
... you've just been outlawed.
TxTarpon
Kramer is right.
But I tuned in at least a few times a day.
Burdizzo
AG
Somewhat sad to hear this, but yeah, the Hank T. Moon schtick got a little tiresome.

i did not know this was a CC station.
Allen76
AG
Well I like the Patriot lineup, but I don't get to listen to the radio very much. (A few minutes a day when running errands.)

I get a kick out of Mark Levin on 550 at 7:00 pm just because he is such a crotchety man, who is not near as old as he sounds on the radio.

THIRD COAST!!!!
TLA02
AG
Are they still going to broadcast the astros games?

She's not too ugly you just need another beer man...

You've been outlawed

Dangit I live in NB and am stuck with Mattson Rainer and his horrible radio voice.
AAM02
AG
They had so much Texas music on the table ... you could take a plate home! MyeeeeeEEEEAAHHHH!!!
Agsttt
Hank Moon was the Mike Leach of the radio world. I met him a few times and he was less than pleasant. I know for a fact that he mouthed off to the Clear Channel execs one too many times. He won't be missed by anyone in my household.

[This message has been edited by Agsttt (edited 4/26/2010 11:13p).]
AggieOC
AG
Good Times aggiealphamale they will be missed indeed. I still remember traveling to Bandera with The Outlaw Crew for a Fowler concert Damn great time!! That was just one of many concerts I recall.
BoozerRed78
AG
It appears Hank found a new home - Badlands 94.7 in Corpus Christi
AAM02
AG
AggieOC - working for Clear Channel definitely provided for some great life experience.

Driving down to Kosciusko for a Kevin Fowler concert and the birth of the "Outlaw Billboard" liner just popped into my head... one of the hardest laughs I've ever had.

Hank Moon (not his real name, of course) actually was an Outlaw-ish type character. I remember when I first started working there a crew was replacing the 2nd floor wall-to-ceiling window in his production studio. He'd kicked it out a few days before. Kinda wish I'd witnessed that, but was also glad to not be there 'cause that guy can get pretty pissed quickly.
Captain Coors
AG
105.3 out of Brenham is the best I've found as of late.

http://www.texasmix1053.com/

For those of you with Iphones you can stream it...
lostboy
Would love if 92.3 The Ranch could get some air time in San Antonio. Enjoy listening to them on the way out to the ranch.
blinnboy83
92.3 TX Renegade is pretty nice out of LaGrange... If you're driving between Hou and SA you can listen to Texas music the whole time if you want to between 92.1, then 92.3, then 105.3 out of Brenham.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.